• Jagga Smith

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, but
1. #2 is worth more than #3
2. We offered the same deal to North and were rejected
3. We got a special deal with West Coast because they snookered themselves (or we snookered them with our brilliant Hawks trade)
4. The picks have washed out now, clubs know what they’ve got, and
5. 3 clubs chasing #2, there’s a market now.

I agree, I’m probably not doing the deal if I’m Richmond, but maybe they really, really want their top 2?
Still can’t fathom West Coast strategy with Hawthorn or lack there of, boy did they F that up…

Given the hype and media around the kid he'll obviously go high but i'm just not seeing the hype.

In that vid took some good marks and laid some good tackles, otherwise missed both shots on the run and most if not all his inside 50's were to contests or missed targets.

Does find a lot of his ball just off the contest and showed agility but didn't see any speed of note, didn't see any runs of note, didn't seem to have a very penetrating kick or at least never used it and put other players under pressure with his disposal on several occasions.

If I compared him to Smith in and around the contest it would be chalk and cheese Smith's way.

Just what I saw in that vid vs other's i've seen of the other top rated kids.
I like Draper

Given the hype and media around the kid he'll obviously go high but i'm just not seeing the hype.

In that vid took some good marks and laid some good tackles, otherwise missed both shots on the run and most if not all his inside 50's were to contests or missed targets.

Does find a lot of his ball just off the contest and showed agility but didn't see any speed of note, didn't see any runs of note, didn't seem to have a very penetrating kick or at least never used it and put other players under pressure with his disposal on several occasions.

If I compared him to Smith in and around the contest it would be chalk and cheese Smith's way.

Just what I saw in that vid vs other's i've seen of the other top rated kids.
Plenty of great options BS72. For me, any way you cut it, we will get a champion. Besides we've struck out on #3 before so law of averages says we get the other side of the coin this time.

1. Lalor

2. Tauru

What are we doing?

FOS or Draper?

Jagga in the conversation at all?

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just a personal opinion.

We traded up to 3 to get a generational midfielder, so to speak.
FOS is a highly talented lad, but I do not see coalface midfielder at the next level. The report of his Tigers game by Brereton, suggested he had a lot of developing to do to cope with the physicality. My observations are similar. We don’t see the classic extractor vision in his highlights. We see a bloke with a great step in traffic, not a ball winner.

There is a place for FOS, but it is HBF, wing, HHF, not centre square mid.

Langford will be a player, somewhat hybrid, but his lack of pace says not for Carlton.

Don’t think Lalor is a good fit, but could well be a Dusty/De Goey type. Reportedly gone by 3 due to the love for this type.

Jagga Smith is “bustproof”, but his ceiling is unknown. Love his accumulation and evasiveness in traffic, but also prepared to get in and under when required. Could be another Butters type with maturity, although his next level evasion will give him the versatility to fill a variety of roles. Looks more extractor than FOS to me, with Lachie Neale accumulation and game sense.

Last year when FOS and Draper were the underage flavour of the month, I absolutely preferred Draper as an all rounder. The Viccentric media gave FOS top billing a long way out. Both had injury interrupted seasons. FOS seemingly has been universally excused for not getting back to his best. Draper was still building during the championships, but his burst skill and smarts were still on show. When most youngsters tapered, he continued to build with prolific performances ar state league level. I am dumbfounded by “experts” suggesting he lasts to 8 or 10 in phantom offerings.

For me
Draper>Jagga>FOS

I hope like hell we get to use 38 or some derivation thereof on a KPD (Dennis/O’Farrell)

Just a personal opinion.

FOS is a highly talented lad, but I do not see coalface midfielder at the next level. The report of his Tigers game by Brereton, suggested he had a lot of developing to do to cope with the physicality. My observations are similar. We don’t see the classic extractor vision in his highlights. We see a bloke with a great step in traffic, not a ball winner.

Langford will be a player, somewhat hybrid, but his lack of pace says not for Carlton.

Don’t think Lalor is a good fit, but could well be a Dusty/De Goey type. Reportedly gone by 3 due to the love for this type.

Jagga Smith is “bustproof”, but his ceiling is unknown. Love his accumulation and evasiveness in traffic, but also prepared to get in and under when required. Could be another Butters type with maturity, although his next level evasion will give him the versatility to fill a variety of roles. Looks more extractor than FOS to me, with Lachie Neale accumulation and game sense.

Last year when FOS and Draper were the underage flavour of the month, I absolutely preferred Draper as an all rounder. The Viccentric media gave FOS top billing a long way out. Both had injury interrupted seasons. FOS seemingly has been universally excused for not getting back to his best. Draper was still building during the championships, but his burst skill and smarts were still on show. When most youngsters tapered, he continued to build with prolific performances ar state league level. I am dumbfounded by “experts” suggesting he lasts to 8 or 10 in phantom offerings.

For me
Draper>Jagga>FOS

I hope like hell we get to use 38 or some derivation thereof on a KPD (Dennis/O’Farrell)

What do you think of the knocks on Draper's kicking, Coona? IMO it's what's keeping him out of the Pick 1 conversation.

Just a personal opinion.

For me
Draper>Jagga>FOS

Do we need a centre square mid? Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Carroll, Lord and Hollands are plenty already (hence Kennedy leaving). A high half forward with a great step in traffic and an excellent leap who can rotate through the middle- we don’t have many of thosr

What do you think of the knocks on Draper's kicking, Coona? IMO it's what's keeping him out of the Pick 1 conversation.
I do not get too involved with highlight reels or popular rhetoric, often mischievously trying to affect popular opinion.

I wanted an Xavier Lindsay type with “elite” disposal before we traded up, and Sid is notto that level. We are clearly after a genuine mid with pick 3. Very few, if any, inside mids have elite disposal by foot. They are about connection in tight, contest and extraction. I have not found Draper to have poor disposal when watching. I have seen some great delivery at times, but focus more on his clean hands, vision and ball winning. His relevant disposal, and that of his partner in crime Ben Camporeale is being able to move the ball from contest to the advantage of the receiver.

Draper has high quality ball movement as well as body movement. Speed, burst, evasion combined with the physicality in the contest has my admiration.

None of the mooted number ones have elite disposal from contests, but all are able to hit their targets in open play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we need a centre square mid? Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Carroll, Lord and Hollands are plenty already (hence Kennedy leaving). A high half forward with a great step in traffic and an excellent leap who can rotate through the middle- we don’t have many of thosr
If we don’t want a kid to ultimately play out of the square, why did we trade up to the spot where you draft genuine mids or KPPs?

All of those discussed have scope to play elsewhere to a decent level and will start their careers in alternate roles, but surely the long term aim is a genuine midfield option.

That apply to the agility and time trial tests?
Oh yes, agility and time trial

Langford - agile
Smillie - agile a bit more than Langford
Smith - a whole heck of agile

Langford - got there in the end
Smillie - he made it too but a fraction quicker
Smith - got there before the 1st 2 and had a dart over coffee before the other 2 made it

With the talk that Richmond want to trade with North to get pick 2 and listening to Cal Twomey just now on gettable speaking about the no.1 pick, I’m starting feel and believe that Jagga will be our selection with pick 3 and the Tigers taking Lalor and Finn pick 1 and 2 (if they get pick 2)

Not sure why I just can't see it with FOS. Underwhelming stats and video of him.

Doesn't get a lot of the ball and not like he's a tearing away like Harley Reid once he gets it.

Just a solid tidy player. I must be missing something.

Lalor I can see it. Draper so clean / quick. Jagga is a ball magnet.

I worry people might be over-rating FOS u17 form and his draft camp metrics and that he has excuses with some injuries. But I am no expert obviously. Will probably win 3 brownlows!

If we don’t want a kid to ultimately play out of the square, why did we trade up to the spot where you draft genuine mids or KPPs?

All of those discussed have scope to play elsewhere to a decent level and will start their careers in alternate roles, but surely the long term aim is a genuine midfield option.
Why trade up, to get the exact player we want.

And based on what we have seen at under 18 level there is nothing to say he won’t “ultimately play out of the square”, his brother grew 6 inches post 18.

But if we got a Henney at 3 it would be revolutionary for us

Still can’t fathom West Coast strategy with Hawthorn or lack there of, boy did they F that up…
arguably you could say they didnt

They want picks next year for Warner - they got a future first and second

Got baker into the side

and still have 2

Had they only traded with hawthorn they get 14 and future 2nd

14 goes to Richmond for Baker

Then split their pick 3 with us for 12 and our future 1st and Owies - they are worse off as their future first is tied to us not Hawthorn :D

If you take into account their desire for Warner then WCE are fine

Not sure why I just can't see it with FOS. Underwhelming stats and video of him.

Doesn't get a lot of the ball and not like he's a tearing away like Harley Reid once he gets it.

Just a solid tidy player. I must be missing something.

Lalor I can see it. Draper so clean / quick. Jagga is a ball magnet.

I worry people might be over-rating FOS u17 form and his draft camp metrics and that he has excuses with some injuries. But I am no expert obviously. Will probably win 3 brownlows!
I am amazed the certainty people have on this site from very little actual information

I am amazed the certainty people have on this site from very little actual information
People should be able to point to the supposed elite disposal and explosiveness that he has.

Every video of FOS i've seen he's often being tackled as he's kicking the ball (doesn't scream explosiveness out of the stoppage) or turning the ball over.

Happy to be proven wrong if people can point to some good footage to see...

I've given it a lot of thought since the trade period finished and I'm pretty convinced we need to get Reid at #3 if available.

Considering our gameplan, we need someone who can hit targets and his disposal and decision making is excellent.
You don't need to have pace if you are 'quick of mind' can get to the right spots and can quickly hit targets under pressure.

I would hate for #3 to be used to go for someone (like Draper) who has a bit of pace but potential to butcher the ball.
We were slaughtered all year from turnovers, and If you don't have good disposal naturally it isn't going to come later.

Reid sticks out like proverbials to me.

If not Reid, then an explosive power mid like Lalor (if available) but as I mentioned before, I think he's going to have an uphill battle with his weight (hoping he's a hard worker).

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back