Votes: 22 6.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 70 19.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people labeled sheep if they like a certain player for Carlton to draft. I like Draper or Smith but whoever Carlton draft than I will support. When people call other people sheep I think that says more about them imo.

Don't pay attention to it. Everybody on here is a keyboard recruiter. You wouldn't actually find too many real recruiters shitcanning players at the top end of any draft. There are pros and cons with every player. It's just a matter of working out which cons can be fixed, and which pros will translate to the big time and improve.

Don't pay attention to it. Everybody on here is a keyboard and YouTube recruiter. You wouldn't actually find too many real recruiters shitcanning players at the top end of any draft. There are pros and cons with every player. It's just a matter of working out which cons can be fixed, and which pros will translate to the big time and improve.

looks like we aren't looking to fix our problem (backline)...like sheep everyone looks at on-ballers...well, my choice is Bo Allen has all the prerequisites...a bull...clean hands...good leg...leg speed and height.

Bonus points that he looks like he can contest in a contest and is not super skinny like some of the top picks.

I like him. Just unsure whether he would be a Pick 3 choice.

cause if a certain poster most look up to says “whoever” most agree on this platform. cause a player in the draft is ‘pigeon holed’ as a defender doesn’t means jshite…you look at his physical and athletic attributes…his capabilities. Bo Allen can be a star midfielder…he’s more advanced as an all round player than the 4 midfielders that everyone suggests.
back in 2019 I suggested moving McGovern behind the ball…the suggestion was laughed at !

Not really. The names being mentioned are almost unanimously seen as the leading contenders for those top draft spots by media, recruiters, and people watching the games. They are seen as that based off their performances and accolades over the last 2-3 years. Nothing to do with any specific poster promoting any player.

It's highly unlikely any club recruiter would take Bo Allan with a top 3 pick. These guys spend 100s and 1000s of hours watching these draftees. Does that make them sheep?

You never know. Maybe Bo Allen will be a star. Fair enough if you happen to have a unique point of view but it doesn't make you right and in either case there is no need to put others down in the process.

Early crack at a Phantom.

1. Brisbane: Will Ashcroft
2. Richmond: Sam Lalor
3. North: Harry Armstrong
4. W.Coast: Harvey Langford
5. Adelaide: Sid Draper
6. Melbourne: Murphy Reid
7. Richmond: Jagga Smith
8. StKilda: Finn O'Sullivan
9. Essendon: Josh Smillie
10. Port: Jobe Shanahan
11. G.Coast: Xavier Lindsay
12. Carlton: Tobie Travaglia

I have assumed a couple of trades but they don't affect things too much imo.

I would be fine with a handful of players bang in our range. Do like Travaglia for us though. And we have had a look at him.

Above is my first crack at a Phantom a month ago.

Update:

1. Rich: Sam Lalor
2. Bris: Levi Ashcroft
3. Rich: Jagga Smith
4. Carl: Finn O'Sullivan
5. Adel: Sid Draper
6. Melb: Murphy Reid
7. NMel: Harry Armstrong
8. StK: Harvey Langford
9. StK: Josh Smillie
10. Ess: Isaac Kako
11. GC: Leo Lombard
12. Mel: Tobie Travaglia
13. Rich: Bo Allan
14. NM: Alex Tarau
15. WC: Xavier Lindsay
16. Port: Jack Whitlock
17. Freo: Joe Berry
18. Adel: Alex Dodson

Above is my first crack at a Phantom a month ago.

Update:

1. Rich: Sam Lalor
2. Bris: Levi Ashcroft
3. Rich: Jagga Smith
4. Carl: Finn O'Sullivan
5. Adel: Sid Draper
6. Melb: Murphy Reid
7. NMel: Harry Armstrong
8. StK: Harvey Langford
9. StK: Josh Smillie
10. Ess: Isaac Kako
11. GC: Leo Lombard
12. Mel: Tobie Travaglia
13. Rich: Bo Allan
14. NM: Alex Tarau
15. WC: Xavier Lindsay
16. Port: Jack Whitlock
17. Freo: Joe Berry
18. Adel: Alex Dodson

If North don't split 2, who do you see them taking?

How can anyone watch these highlights and compared them to FOS and think they are in the same league?

Smith is streets ahead. Natural footballers. Bust proof.
I'd be happy if we took FOS, not all his highlights are breathtaking though. Having said that I doubt Jagga gets to the Crows. Looks like a number one pick most years.

It is unfortunate that Lalor and Draper were unable to participate in the draft combine.

Certainly FOS was fit at the right time, and he finished in the top dozen in the 20m sprint, the 2km time trial and the agility test, and was 2nd in the running vertical leap, which is the thing that excites me as he has very good hands in marking contests.

I'm not sure why FOS is not a high production midfielder. It does seem that he has impact with the possessions he has, but I'm not sure if it has been injury, workrate, position or endurance that sees his numbers down this season. His pace and athleticism are the number one and two traits that I want for our point of difference. He also has a fair football IQ. We have midfield accumulators already.

However, Jagga Smith has the ability to accumulate, has a penetrating kick, did better in the 2km time trial and a little behind in the 20m sprint. He's also an incredible reader of the play. Size is the negative, and he doesn't have quite the athletic profile of FOS.

Draper is quick and athletic, and accumulates possessions. Not really the aerialist and maybe a tad behind in football IQ and agility .... IMO at least.

I'm just not seeing enough of the desired traits in Lalor. More of a beast and suiting Richmond.

I'd be happy if we took FOS, not all his highlights are breathtaking though. Having said that I doubt Jagga gets to the Crows. Looks like a number one pick most years.

This year has echoes of 2016 where the #1 pick in McLuggage somehow made it to pick 3 - Richmond having a stack of first round picks changes the game

What is this nonsense about Smith being too skinny.

Classic young roo dog build if ever I saw one. In two years he’ll be all strong sharp edges and painful to run into.
It’s not that I’m concerned about him long term just trying to contain my own excitement and anticipate he mightn’t play round one with that build

Obviously he’ll put on size, that’s not what I’m asserting - just looks skinnier than some of the other draftees

Wouldn’t expect the club to be so short sighted, he is extremely slight though

FWIW he is my favourite of the kids in the top few

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is unfortunate that Lalor and Draper were unable to participate in the draft combine.

Certainly FOS was fit at the right time, and he finished in the top dozen in the 20m sprint, the 2km time trial and the agility test, and was 2nd in the running vertical leap, which is the thing that excites me as he has very good hands in marking contests.

I'm not sure why FOS is not a high production midfielder. It does seem that he has impact with the possessions he has, but I'm not sure if it has been injury, workrate, position or endurance that sees his numbers down this season. His pace and athleticism are the number one and two traits that I want for our point of difference. He also has a fair football IQ. We have midfield accumulators already.

However, Jagga Smith has the ability to accumulate, has a penetrating kick, did better in the 2km time trial and a little behind in the 20m sprint. He's also an incredible reader of the play. Size is the negative, and he doesn't have quite the athletic profile of FOS.

Draper is quick and athletic, and accumulates possessions. Not really the aerialist and maybe a tad behind in football IQ and agility .... IMO at least.

I'm just not seeing enough of the desired traits in Lalor. More of a beast and suiting Richmond.
Completely agree. Jagga is a jet and a future captain. I was once keen on FOS but I’ve watched a few games where he is playing midfield and can’t find the footy. Feel it’s too big of a risk.

Completely agree. Jagga is a jet and a future captain. I was once keen on FOS but I’ve watched a few games where he is playing midfield and can’t find the footy. Feel it’s too big of a risk.

When you say FOS can't find the footy, are you noticing him actively not going for the footy, going for the footy but losing contests, or is he holding off in a positional sense? We know you can have lower numbers just because the ball is not in your vicinity.

It does appear that FOS is primarily an attacking midfielder, whereas as Smith is a whole of ground midfielder. I'm not sure if that is by design as far as coaching goes, or because he lacks a tank. His 2km time trial results suggests he can run, but that was after his injuries cleared up.

We have to remember that Hewett, Cerra and Walsh are all defensive midfielders, and our wingers are also largely defensive. Being predominantly offensive, with his athletic profile, is not necessarily a bad thing for FOS.

What is this nonsense about Smith being too skinny.

Classic young roo dog build if ever I saw one. In two years he’ll be all strong sharp edges and painful to run into.

He'll develop physically pretty quickly.

The only argument I can see about Smith's size, is that we want the best of both worlds. We want Pick 3 to impact right away, like a Daicos or Ashcroft, because we haven't done anything else to improve our side and our window with Cripps in the side is not exactly large.

Trading up to hit the draft for a ready made mid who could add something right away is a compromise for getting established elite players in via a trade.

Do we actually need a mid that gets a lot of or a mid that’s a point of difference and that’s damaging??
There's an argument for both sides. Personally I think we lack defensively and although I really like Jagga, I think Draper is far far better defensively whilst also being quite good offensively. FOS the same though I'm not as much of a fan.

Do we actually need a mid that gets a lot of or a mid that’s a point of difference and that’s damaging??

Preferable both, but definitely the latter first.

Do we actually need a mid that gets a lot of it or a mid that’s a point of difference and that’s damaging??
I can tell you what we don’t need and that’s a mid that constantly bombs it forward and that’s what I saw a lot of with the viewing of FOS.

Give me a mid that works hard, is silky, has speed but most importantly uses his kicks for the betterment of the team and cuts through the opposition.

I can tell you what we don’t need and that’s a mid that constantly bombs it forward and that’s what I saw a lot of with the viewing of FOS.

Give me a mid that works hard, is silky, has speed but most importantly uses his kicks for the betterment of the team and cuts through the opposition.
So who’s your choice?

Not really. The names being mentioned are almost unanimously seen as the leading contenders for those top draft spots by media, recruiters, and people watching the games. They are seen as that based off their performances and accolades over the last 2-3 years. Nothing to do with any specific poster promoting any player.

It's highly unlikely any club recruiter would take Bo Allan with a top 3 pick. These guys spend 100s and 1000s of hours watching these draftees. Does that make them sheep?

You never know. Maybe Bo Allen will be a star. Fair enough if you happen to have a unique point of view but it doesn't make you right and in either case there is no need to put others down in the process.
If he became a star and better than the other players in question, it actually would. Plenty of posters would point the finger and tell someone how wrong they were if things were to happen in reverse.

I don't believe posters are influenced much by what others on here say but I do think they are wildly influenced by probability (as in who we are most likely to get). It happens every year.

He'll develop physically pretty quickly.

The only argument I can see about Smith's size, is that we want the best of both worlds. We want Pick 3 to impact right away, like a Daicos or Ashcroft, because we haven't done anything else to improve our side and our window with Cripps in the side is not exactly large.

Trading up to hit the draft for a ready made mid who could add something right away is a compromise for getting established elite players in via a trade.
This was more or less my assertion, that ideally a player could impact round one

If they can’t I still don’t care so much, we need not be so short sighted - I still think Jagga is the best player for us

When you say FOS can't find the footy, are you noticing him actively not going for the footy, going for the footy but losing contests, or is he holding off in a positional sense? We know you can have lower numbers just because the ball is not in your vicinity.

It does appear that FOS is primarily an attacking midfielder, whereas as Smith is a whole of ground midfielder. I'm not sure if that is by design as far as coaching goes, or because he lacks a tank. His 2km time trial results suggests he can run, but that was after his injuries cleared up.

We have to remember that Hewett, Cerra and Walsh are all defensive midfielders, and our wingers are also largely defensive. Being predominantly offensive, with his athletic profile, is not necessarily a bad thing for FOS.
I believe some of it is positioning as offensive. Jagga finds footy everywhere but way more than FOS out the back of contests and is willing to move laterally or backward. FOS is way more offensive and looks to find space in dangerous positions. It’s just a gamble whether he is truly damaging enough or not. I don’t see him kicking bags like a Dangerfield or Martin. Do you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back