Votes: 34 8.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 104 24.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t have a problem with drapers kicking either. For mine it’s his handballing. He’s not a great handball under pressure in stoppages. Too many times he chooses wrong option or doesn’t handball to advantage of receiver. This is where jagga is much better.

Makes me think Draper would be best used as a first receiver around stoppages. Give him just a little bit of space to work with when receiving the ball and he can make anyone look like a fool with his footwork and breakaway.

Good thing we have a bloke named Patrick Cripps who can hb to him...

I don’t have a problem with drapers kicking either. For mine it’s his handballing. He’s not a great handball under pressure in stoppages. Too many times he chooses wrong option or doesn’t handball to advantage of receiver. This is where jagga is much better.

Makes me think Draper would be best used as a first receiver around stoppages. Give him just a little bit of space to work with when receiving the ball and he can make anyone look like a fool with his footwork and breakaway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
He's definitely best suited to a first receiver role from my viewing. Ben was feeding him the ball like Cripps was to Walsh most games they played together. He's not a fantastic reader of the ruck imo, similar to Walsh. More naturally inclined to get on the end of a chain of play than be the hit to midfielder (Just so happens we have a natural go to inside mid in Cody Walker in a couple of years time too which will no doubt go into the calculations of who we pick this year).

That said, I never get too worried about a draftees handballing skill. Its probably the easiest skill to improve in a professional environment as most of it is just about confidence and repetitions. Given he'd be getting pointers from Cripps, Hewett, Cerra and Walsh I'd be pretty confident on his ability to get it up to standard quick smart.

Ahh fudge. I haven’t rated Draper really through no solid reasoning and a mate just got me to watch more of his highlights. I’m a spud. I’m sold. He is very good. I’d be happy with El-Sid, or Mick Jagga, or Dusty Lalor, or Full-of-Sullivan. We can’t lose at 3. Only negative is the potential go home factor but we had the best Croweater ever amongst a fair few others. Father Campo to boot and Sid is best mates with Ben is he not. Hurry up with that damn draft. Why are we waiting so bloody long.

There is seriously up to 8-10 really solid mids in this draft. We need another 1st to hopefully snag a slider.
If Sid and Ben best mates then I can see Austin def picking Draper at #3. Austin likes to pick kids that have strong connections throughout their juniors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I thought the same thing watching his highlights, often handballs unnecessarily and put his team mates under immediate pressure.

Seems to handball more than he kicks it but haven’t seen stats ratio, Players often do this when they lack confidence in their kicking skills.

Got some great burst speed and like his attack on the ball though.

I thought the same thing watching his highlights, often handballs unnecessarily and put his team mates under immediate pressure.

Seems to handball more than he kicks it but haven’t seen stats ratio, Players often do this when they lack confidence in their kicking skills.

Got some great burst speed and like his attack on the ball though.
My big concern with Draper is, can he kick on his left at all? After watching every YouTube vid available I cant find any highlights of him kicking on his left boot.
Ive gone back and watched Rozee, Dangerfield and Butters in their U18's highlights and as similar types and they all have excellent opposite sides.
I suppose Sam Walsh is exactly the same with a non existent left boot

From a reddit crows page

"Draper has several things that’s make him a standout here.

1: He is grass-shredding, tag breaking, tyre burning levels of fast. His acceleration away from the contest is unbelievable, and he’s got a sixth sense for navigating traffic, two things our midfield BADLY lacks.

He’s also been working on his kicking on the run, his main historical weakness, and has seen some good improvement in that area already.

2: By all indicators he is an absolute professional and oozes leadership qualities, great traits for any young player, let alone one who could play his whole career at your club.

3: Draper plays SANFL, while the rest of top 10 play in the Talent league.

While the talent league has come to define the modern draft, it’s an under-19 competition, the guys playing there have only been competing against players in their own age bracket, there’s no way to know if they’ll be able to play as well once they’re exposed to players who are smarter, stronger and more experienced.

Draper meanwhile has played the back half of the season for South Adelaide and has been arguably their best player while coming off a long term injury, he’s proven that he can play against men, and play well.

The trait which immediately stands out with Draper is his turn of speed. He posted the top agility test time nationwide during the 2023 preseason (7.80 seconds), and it translates on-field where he is near-impossible to lay a hand on. Some of his best action shots this year feature him literally standing on his toes as he darts away at angles which defy belief.

His lightning acceleration makes him an asset in bringing contested ball to the outside. Draper's hands on the inside are supremely clean, and once he recaptured his usual touch as the season wore on, he got to showcase that kind of ability at senior level. He also uses his speed to take the game on in attacking phases, making carving runs through the corridor to set up scores.

Draper also shadowed JHF as a bottom ager playing for the Panthers and for SA together, modelling his speed and burst traits throughout his junior progression on the #1 draft pick, he even arches the back and drops the footy onto the boot in a similar very way"

20m sprint time of 2.94 (ELITE)
Agility tested preseason @ 7.80 (ELITE)

Last edited:
From a reddit crows page

1: He is grass-shredding, tag breaking, tyre burning levels of fast. His acceleration away from the contest is unbelievable, and he’s got a sixth sense for navigating traffic, two things our midfield BADLY lacks.

He’s also been working on his kicking on the run, his main historical weakness, and has seen some good improvement in that area already.

2: By all indicators he is an absolute professional and oozes leadership qualities, great traits for any young player, let alone one who could play his whole career at your club.

While the talent league has come to define the modern draft, it’s an under-19 competition, the guys playing there have only been competing against players in their own age bracket, there’s no way to know if they’ll be able to play as well once they’re exposed to players who are smarter, stronger and more experienced.

Draper meanwhile has played the back half of the season for South Adelaide and has been arguably their best player while coming off a long term injury, he’s proven that he can play against men, and play well.

The trait which immediately stands out with Draper is his turn of speed. He posted the top agility test time nationwide during the 2023 preseason (7.80 seconds), and it translates on-field where he is near-impossible to lay a hand on. Some of his best action shots this year feature him literally standing on his toes as he darts away at angles which defy belief.

His lightning acceleration makes him an asset in bringing contested ball to the outside. Draper's hands on the inside are supremely clean, and once he recaptured his usual touch as the season wore on, he got to showcase that kind of ability at senior level. He also uses his speed to take the game on in attacking phases, making carving runs through the corridor to set up scores."

Great analysis.

Don’t have to convince me it’s a no brainer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good article on O'Farrell:

Had a couple of slight injuries to deal with, in another draft year, he could go top 25.

A haul of Draper, HOF + Campos would be a pretty good result imo...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Barrat and Noah Mraz, a couple of defenders tipped to go pick 30+ might be in our range and worth considering…

I like Barrat’s description - “possesses the mongrel required to make it at the next level sooner rather than later” just what we need, more mongrel. :)

Last edited:
Can anyone please enlighten me on what POD means?
It’s the new buzzword in recruiting circles that means absolutely nothing.
James Barrat and Noah Mraz, a couple of defenders tipped to go pick 30+ might be in our range and worth considering…

I like Barrat’s description - “possesses the mongrel required to make it at the next level sooner rather than later” just what we need, more mongrel. :)

Clancy Dennis and Harry O'Farrell as well. I hope we pick up one of these 4 names.

From a reddit crows page

His lightning acceleration makes him an asset in bringing contested ball to the outside. Draper's hands on the inside are supremely clean, and once he recaptured his usual touch as the season wore on, he got to showcase that kind of ability at senior level. He also uses his speed to take the game on in attacking phases, making carving runs through the corridor to set up scores.

Draper also shadowed JHF as a bottom ager playing for the Panthers and for SA together, modelling his speed and burst traits throughout his junior progression on the #1 draft pick, he even arches the back and drops the footy onto the boot in a similar very way"

That’s a bloody solid argument - 100% he can play against men & play well.
That’s a huge leg up on the field, that fact he did it for a prolonged period is important too. He could cop a beating week in week out and still deliver.
Others played VFL but only for a few games. It’s a different thing to back it up for weeks on end

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back