Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He and Chris Scott were the only 2 not there at all.

Even Blitz, Rohan and Parfitt were there and not playing at all.

Hopefully with Stengle it was just a sickness, a personal matter or a minor injury, but given our willingness to hide everything, and the fact he wasn't there at all is a bit of a worry until we see him back out there
He was at a funeral interstate

Yeah Mannagh played high half forward. Also spent a bit of time off with the medics, looked to be bothered by something. But played out the game and did the running and drills after the match.

Close and Miers were mainly in the forward half, but Close did push up a bit towards the wing at times.
Miers pushed up like he did last year, but also was in for a few centre bounces.

Dempsey was in the Pink. Didn't do too much, but did kick a nice goal from a difficult setshot.

I think they might give Tuohy first go to replace Smith on the wing. Not too sure if that's a good thing or not, but he played there in the blue team and was ok, but also continued with his hold onto the ball and run in circles type play and not know what to do or where to kick it.

Jeka definitely didn't get a towel up. Cameron doesn't need to do anything here obviously except look fit and move well, which he did and he got a bit of the ball, but don't remember him kicking any goals or getting hit clear on the lead, took a few nice marks, but Jeka held his own on him.

Hardie and Humphries were in pink. Hardie was midfield
Humphries up forward and he showed a few good signs as did Phoenix Foster for the Pink team.

A couple of players did change between Pink and blue for short periods. Clark, Knevitt.

Thats interesting. Maybe mannagh will move onto the HFF and miers or close will push up higher for link work. With mannagh touch wood we keep him fit as i think he will make a good impact if he does.

This year is a big year for dempsey-given his improvement last year he should be looking to push someone like tuohy or rohan out and force his way in. It will be interesting to see how many games we give guys like tuohy before we look at pushing them back to vfl (higgins didnt get many in 2022).

Obviously this year is make or break for hardie he needs to be b22 or hes delisted. That report on jeka sounds ok, i know cameron wouldnt have gone full bore in match sim but it sounds like jeka at least has some capability.

Humphries is a dark horse for mine we have lots of depth but i can see him pushing through.

Thats interesting. Maybe mannagh will move onto the HFF and miers or close will push up higher for link work. With mannagh touch wood we keep him fit as i think he will make a good impact if he does.

This year is a big year for dempsey-given his improvement last year he should be looking to push someone like tuohy or rohan out and force his way in. It will be interesting to see how many games we give guys like tuohy before we look at pushing them back to vfl (higgins didnt get many in 2022).

Obviously this year is make or break for hardie he needs to be b22 or hes delisted. That report on jeka sounds ok, i know cameron wouldnt have gone full bore in match sim but it sounds like jeka at least has some capability.

Humphries is a dark horse for mine we have lots of depth but i can see him pushing through.
Trackwatcher tells me Dempsey is higher in the pecking order right now for that spot (assuming Rohan and/or 2E fall back). He has played majority of the time on AFL team and King also likes him spotting in the wing (but has switched to pink team when doing that). But ultimately that doesn’t mean much given it is just internal match sim - the two scratch matches will be key for Dempsey in terms of the beggining of 2024. Mannagh is somewhat “plug and play” given his age and body so Dempsey will be doing well to keep him out.

The other wildcard is a tall forward line. Ie. Jezza, Hawke and Scratcher with O Henry. Personally I can’t see it working but Scratcher has been playing very well over the last couple of weeks so they will want to reward that at some stage.

It is strange as I have fairly low expectations for the team this year but when I do the best 23 I find myself looking at the ones I can’t squeeze in thinking we should be a good team (we should shortly start a preseason best 23 thread?)

Trackwatcher tells me Dempsey is higher in the pecking order right now for that spot (assuming Rohan and/or 2E fall back). He has played majority of the time on AFL team and King also likes him spotting in the wing (but has switched to pink team when doing that). But ultimately that doesn’t mean much given it is just internal match sim - the two scratch matches will be key for Dempsey in terms of the beggining of 2024. Mannagh is somewhat “plug and play” given his age and body so Dempsey will be doing well to keep him out.

The other wildcard is a tall forward line. Ie. Jezza, Hawke and Scratcher with O Henry. Personally I can’t see it working but Scratcher has been playing very well over the last couple of weeks so they will want to reward that at some stage.

It is strange as I have fairly low expectations for the team this year but when I do the best 23 I find myself looking at the ones I can’t squeeze in thinking we should be a good team (we should shortly start a preseason best 23 thread?)

I need more Dempsey content in my life and you are delivering 🧊

I think that's an underrated asset in having King & Rahilly back at the club.

Just a fresh set of eyes who have no prior opinions or convictions on players, and can only judge on why they're seeing right now.

It's going to help us maintain selection integrity, and have the players who are best suited to helping us win now, rather than those who might be getting by on past achievements.

I agree completely on the best 23 struggle, and it's going to be incredibly tough to fit them all in if the squad is healthy.

Off the top of my head, of players who didn't play a ton last year (or not at all), I think it's pivotal that these players get games, both for the now and the future.

• COS
  • Knevitt
  • Dempsey
  • Conway
  • Neale
  • Clark
  • Mullin

You add that to these players, who are expected to be best 22

• Holmes
  • SDK
  • Bruhn
  • O Henry
  • Mannagh

Along with these players, who aren't particularly old or experienced themselves.

• Close
  • Stengle
  • Miers
  • Jack Henry
  • Zuthrie
  • Bowes

The fallowing are still raw and/or depth, but I'd say the club wouldn't mind a look at them either.

• Stevens
  • Wiltshire
  • Edwards
  • Hardie
  • Jeka
  • Humphries

That's a very exciting side list IMO, but it's also a very young side, and I can't see us being overly successful if most of these names are playing week to week....but most of them are going to need games, too.

It comes back to what we're trying to do. Are we absolutely focused on winning the 2024 premiership? Or are we playing some kids with the goal of winning the 2027/28 premiership?

I think it's why I'm so torn on where we could end up this year. If the above is true, and we're getting games into the youth, a short stint in the bottom 4 wouldn't be overly surprising.

On the other hand though, if the squad stays healthy, the veterans hold on or surprise, and some youngsters make the leap to AA squad or close to it (Bruhn, Henry, SDK, Holmes the main contenders) then a premiership is far from out of reach, too. Particularly with this weak competition at them moment.

It really could go either way for us this year, and personally I think we're either contending for the 2024 flag, or getting ourselves ready for our next shot.

I can't see a lot of middle ground or 'no man's land' (Essendon, Richmond, St Kilda in recent times)

I didnt mean dempsey will play ahead of mannagh as i think mannagh is a cert (you dont use a r2 on a 26yo unless you are playing him).
I meant more whether dempsey can push a tuohy or say rohan out and get that spot ahead of a knevitt or say neale (depending on our structure). But i will be interested to see how much afl he plays this year.

I am equally reluctant to run the 3 talls (unless neale improves his ruckwork a lot then id consider it as it frees up blitz for other things and keeps sdk out of the ruck) but like dempsey if neale is very good in the practice games they will have to reward with some afl games.

Tbh i think we actually have good depth in a lot of spots (except ruck which has been our achilles heel) so its no surprise to see decent quality depth players outside the best 22. What we lack is top end talent in the midfield (forward line and back we have a lot of quality) which is why its important mannagh impacts (he can bridge the age gap between the old and young mids) but also its crucial we fast track bruhn and knevitt and clark in particular as they have the highest A grade potential of any of the young mids on our list.

I didnt mean dempsey will play ahead of mannagh as i think mannagh is a cert (you dont use a r2 on a 26yo unless you are playing him).
I meant more whether dempsey can push a tuohy or say rohan out and get that spot ahead of a knevitt or say neale (depending on our structure). But i will be interested to see how much afl he plays this year.

I am equally reluctant to run the 3 talls (unless neale improves his ruckwork a lot then id consider it as it frees up blitz for other things and keeps sdk out of the ruck) but like dempsey if neale is very good in the practice games they will have to reward with some afl games.

Tbh i think we actually have good depth in a lot of spots (except ruck which has been our achilles heel) so its no surprise to see decent quality depth players outside the best 22. What we lack is top end talent in the midfield (forward line and back we have a lot of quality) which is why its important mannagh impacts (he can bridge the age gap between the old and young mids) but also its crucial we fast track bruhn and knevitt and clark in particular as they have the highest A grade potential of any of the young mids on our list.

I dunno that the use of a late 2nd on Mannagh is any guarantee he'll be playing. That draft really thinned out at that point. Past his selection who we taking? I would have said Kane Mcauliffe maybe, but regardless of what round it says the pick is on paper that selection was a crapshoot.

I look at him and his highlights and think small forward over midfielder, and that makes me think he might be a Stengle insurance plan more than anything

I am with you though on the three talls,I want to see neale get games but Kardinia is a pretty small f50 for three big men leading. He will get plenty of games though as a forward when Cameron is injured and as a ruck when Stanley is injured.

It really just comes down to how highly they rate him… not the names in the team. If you rate him highly enough you will find a spot.

Would you find a spot for an 18yo Joel selwood?? What about an 18yo ablett jnr???

I assume the answer is you would just make a spot happen for them.

We dont have a star studded midfield, so he can squeeze someone out if his good enough
Yep that’s it.

He is gonna need to play well and look the goods in the practice matches to force his way past others and find a spot in the team R1.

Because he just doesn’t have to runs on the board so far to just be “meh” in the trail games and be named.

If he is good enough right now, he will show it and earn his spot.

Selwood was a level higher than Clark from the get-go imo.

Clark really looked small and not overly impressive even in the VFL last year.

I was slightly underwhelmed but he has plenty of time to reach his potential.

Hopefully he steps it up very soon though, if he can force his way in a look the goods as a 19 year old smallish inside mid, it’ll be a great sign for the future

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno that the use of a late 2nd on Mannagh is any guarantee he'll be playing. That draft really thinned out at that point. Past his selection who we taking? I would have said Kane Mcauliffe maybe, but regardless of what round it says the pick is on paper that selection was a crapshoot.

I look at him and his highlights and think small forward over midfielder, and that makes me think he might be a Stengle insurance plan more than anything

Look the draft was thin this year yes but the point is more the fact that we traded into that pick specifically for him (we knew freo and port were both keen and he wouldnt get to our next pick which is why we did our pick trade with essendon. That after nearly taking him in the msd. That says hes been brought in for a specific reason. Plus our history with playing mature agers straight away says he will be in.

As to roles ive watched a fair bit of him in the vfl and he can be a good outside link mid as hes quick and has a good kick. But his best asset is definitely how dangerous he is around goals so he could play mid or small fwd. I doubt he was taken specifically due to stengle but we have enough fwd depth that while we want to keep tyson we will be fine if he goes.

Last edited:
I am with you though on the three talls,I want to see neale get games but Kardinia is a pretty small f50 for three big men leading. He will get plenty of games though as a forward when Cameron is injured and as a ruck when Stanley is injured.

I agree hes going to play a lot whenever stanley is injured or down on form (as conway lacks a tank and edwards is still a ruck baby). I just hope hes improved his ruckwork from what we saw in the saints game.
But id prefer we didnt play him as a primary kpf unless its games where hawkins rest. Nothing against neale i just prefer the 2 talls plus ollie with either mannagh or dempsey in the last fwd spot i like that structure better.

Yep that’s it.

He is gonna need to play well and look the goods in the practice matches to force his way past others and find a spot in the team R1.

Because he just doesn’t have to runs on the board so far to just be “meh” in the trail games and be named.

Hopefully he steps it up very soon though, if he can force his way in a look the goods as a 19 year old smallish inside mid, it’ll be a great sign for the future

Selwood was a higher level than just about anyone as an 18yo so i dont think thats a fair comparison for clark. A fairer comparison would be someone like holmes who was drafted end 2020 without much footy but then in his second year started to get opportunities and nail them. Now clark has lost development time but its not unreasonable to think that he will play afl this year and play to a level where he will stay in the 22.

Yep that’s it.

Smallish?? He looks about the same body size as selwood drafted.I am more interested in attack and intent than size.

The highlighted is it… if he isn’t in, he just isn’t rated that highly. We don’t currently have a team that would be holding back gun A grade young mids.

Look the draft was thin this year yes but the point is more the fact that we traded into that pick specifically for him (we knew freo and port were both keen and he wouldnt get to our next pick which is why we did our pick trade with essendon. That after nearly taking him in the msd. That says hes been brought in for a specific reason. Plus our history with playing mature agers straight away says he will be in.

As to roles ive watched a fair bit of him in the vfl and he can be a good outside link mid as hes quick and has a good kick. But his best asset is definitely how dangerous he is around goals so he could play mid or small fwd. I doubt he was taken specifically due to stengle but we have enough fwd depth that while we want to keep tyson we will be fine if he goes.

But even that trade though, we gave up a one pick slide on player we likely weren't taking to begin with. I'm not sure that trade is an endorsement in the back end of that draft either.

Smallish?? He looks about the same body size as selwood drafted.I am more interested in attack and intent than size.

The highlighted is it… if he isn’t in, he just isn’t rated that highly. We don’t currently have a team that would be holding back gun A grade young mids.
Yeah he looked smallish to me.

Looked like an AusKick kid In the team photos.

He was a ferocious inside bull v 18 year olds and was played in the guts, but he was playing mostly on the outside in the VFL, especially in his early games.

I assume because his body wasn’t/isn’t developed enough to play as a pure inside mid verse men as an 18 year old rookie… even though he is a true inside mid.

Selwood is a different animal… he was so good at footy that it just didn’t matter for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back