Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

so I get we can’t rely on pre season comments from players about other players….but if this ended up being true it, combined with Guthrie back and another year on atkins, tanner and holmes…could change my view entirely about our competitiveness.

a 100+ game player at the right age in terms of body is critical. two Years ago we would have looked at 2024-26 as parf coming into his potential. Lost confidence in that last year but if 2023 proves to be the outliner then our team looks different

I'm going to choose to believe the comments are because Parfitt is training down several households at once. Basically the same age Tim Kelly was when he broke out.

A more negative person might liken it to the positioning the club did with Sav when they thought they'd lose him. But I'm pretty positive

We were experimenting with a 3 tall forward structure briefly when Rohan was injured using Esava as the 3rd.
Didn't work but I think Neale can play that role ( as a forward) much better than Sav.
However Neale doesn't seem to have been trained as a forward/relief ruck , so whilst he could take some forward stoppages can't see him rucking around the ground.
I'd back him as a forward though , with Jezza playing higher up the ground and working his way back to goal.
I could see Neale rucking around the ground because all I would have to do is pull up some replays of the games he's played to physically see it. I think he's played more games as a ruck in the seniors than anything.

I could see Neale rucking around the ground because all I would have to do is pull up some replays of the games he's played to physically see it. I think he's played more games as a ruck in the seniors than anything.

I hope his ruck craft has improved out of sight this preseason, because on exposed form (both AFL & VFL) it’s been pretty horrible.

Last edited:
His captaincy:
"They said Geelong couldn’t be taken down and it only took me 12 weeks,” he quipped.

Mannagh:
"He’s a little bit younger than we normally like but I suppose we might be able to find a spot for him,” Dangerfield chuckled.

“He’s a terrific fella Shaun, he might be as grey as what I am which is a bit concerning given he is only 26 and it’s only his first year at the Cats. "

I am going to miss Dangerfield

Then when he says shaun is 4 ft 2 but hes clean off both feet 😂 love danger. Cant wait to see mannagh play.

I'm going to choose to believe the comments are because Parfitt is training down several households at once. Basically the same age Tim Kelly was when he broke out.

A more negative person might liken it to the positioning the club did with Sav when they thought they'd lose him. But I'm pretty positive
I think the players, coach and people in the club love Parfitt. Danger said that to show everyone believes in him and give him confidence. I hope he becomes a Tom Mitchell for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Pies game late in the season - played as a forward and was serviceable, I think that’s where they see him and we will build on that👍

He’s managed to get through preseason so far, so that’s a 1000% improvement on anything he’s done previously.
Still think he’s a long way from making our best 23, but at least he’s put himself in a position to have a decent crack at it.
Your right- its a huge improvement on anything else to date - Clearly the brains trust think there is something there as they gave him a 3rd year off the back of no pre-seasons and a hand full of VFL games over two years.
That being said, I think he was named as an emergency once after 2-3 VFL games in a row (which would be the most amount of games he managed to string together) - So it clearly shows something. He has pace and explosiveness (when fit) - all the attributes we are missing - This will be a big year for him for obvious reasons

I actually wonder if Willis could make it as an explosive shutdown back pocket type (like a younger Bews).

I’d say he will be playing VFL in the guts and hopefully he dominates… but I do just wonder if for whatever reason he doesn’t make it as a mid, if he could get a run as a small back (last chance saloon style) instead of just being cut.

Anyway, lots of water to go under the bridge before that… just me thinking away in this super long preseason.

so I get we can’t rely on pre season comments from players about other players….but if this ended up being true it, combined with Guthrie back and another year on atkins, tanner and holmes…could change my view entirely about our competitiveness.

a 100+ game player at the right age in terms of body is critical. two Years ago we would have looked at 2024-26 as parf coming into his potential. Lost confidence in that last year but if 2023 proves to be the outliner then our team looks different

Isn't Parfitt injured atm?

I actually wonder if Willis could make it as an explosive shutdown back pocket type (like a younger Bews).

I’d say he will be playing VFL in the guts and hopefully he dominates… but I do just wonder if for whatever reason he doesn’t make it as a mid, if he could get a run as a small back (last chance saloon style) instead of just being cut.

Anyway, lots of water to go under the bridge before that… just me thinking away in this super long preseason.

In one VFL game last year he showed good forward craft leading up at the ball. Moved a bit like Chappy. I'd assume that's a way to get him into the team if guys like Close, Miers, etc push up into midfield and onto the wing more. He'd still be competing with guys like Dempsey and Mannagh but it's more chance than going straight into midfield.

Your right- its a huge improvement on anything else to date - Clearly the brains trust think there is something there as they gave him a 3rd year off the back of no pre-seasons and a hand full of VFL games over two years.
That being said, I think he was named as an emergency once after 2-3 VFL games in a row (which would be the most amount of games he managed to string together) - So it clearly shows something. He has pace and explosiveness (when fit) - all the attributes we are missing - This will be a big year for him for obvious reasons
Very small sample but his VFL highlights do exemplify his explosiveness and pace.
He's also very strong and seems to relish the hard stuff , lot to like.
He could certainly make a difference to our mids as players who can win it on the inside and break away ( Danger) are extremely valuable.
Wish him well , will be an interesting watch this season.
Looks like our VFL team will be much more competitive this year which can only be a good sign for overall development.

I hope his ruck craft has improved out of sight this preseason, because on exposed form (both AFL & VFL) it’s been pretty horrible.

Yeah I'm just looking for more exposure at senior level for all our rucks to support Stanley. The reality is they're too inexperienced and shouldn't have unrealistic expectations. They're still developing and very raw.

What is that?

AFL Fantasy Draft 2024 - Enter your own Draft to build your team within your league. Each AFL player can only be on one team within your league and once they’re yours, they’re yours! Throughout the season you can trade with other teams or go back to the player pool to improve your squad.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back