Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved BJ’s comment how 5-6 players really setting the elite standard & the want to improve day in day out. Music to my ears

My guess is Owens/Windhager/Phillipou/Wilson/NAS/
King

We could have something special with Phillipou. We've seen that he can impact, now he has added a tank probably the one question mark on him is can he accumulate possessions. If he starts getting 20+ regularly then we will have a star on our hands. I wonder if he runs predominantly through the middle this year given his new tank? Imagine if he and Owens exploded as mids this year....

We could have something special with Phillipou. We've seen that he can impact, now he has added a tank probably the one question mark on him is can he accumulate possessions. If he starts getting 20+ regularly then we will have a star on our hands. I wonder if he runs predominantly through the middle this year given his new tank? Imagine if he and Owens exploded as mids this year....
Gotta keep in mind that Pou is only just 19 years old and mostly playing at HF.
We can expect Chito to hit beast mode this season though.

Phillipou starred in the Under-18s SANFL for Woodville-West Torrens, averaging 28 disposals and 1.5 goals per game. His ability to win the ground ball at his size is exceptional, and combines with an adept aerial game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillipou starred in the Under-18s SANFL for Woodville-West Torrens, averaging 28 disposals and 1.5 goals per game. His ability to win the ground ball at his size is exceptional, and combines with an adept aerial game
Amazing in hindsight he lasted to pick 10

It’s a minefield in bayside at present I’ve had covid or some crap where I’ve coughed for over two week straight plus the pollen has been off the charts. Who knows why he wanted a drink the main point is he ran well, the fact he wanted to wet his whistle after a lap is neither here nor there. Do we count how many times a trainer runs a drink out during a game?.
It’s a time trial
One lap in
Pro athlete

Anyway I’m not buying it and I’m done

He will blitz this year… too many behind him to take the spot

Amazing in hindsight he lasted to pick 10

A bit of "nearology" going on here. Hollands Fletcher and Hewett all look pretty good as well.

I'm not going overboard with Phillipou just yet till I see some more consistency in his game. Has the skillset, lets see what the first half of his season looks like,

We are assuming Mitch and Mattaes’s natural progression is to become midfielders.
Mitch’s junior career was initially as a small forward, then when he grew, played as a winger/ half forward.
Mattaes draft year was a forward mid, low possession high impact type.
Yes, they will get some time in our midfield, however, the bulk of the midfield minutes will be taken up by Steele, Crouch, Dow, Windhager & Sinclair, with Henry & Wood on the wings.
I’m hoping Garcia can eventually break into our onball brigade, as he has the traits to make an impact!

A bit of "nearology" going on here. Hollands Fletcher and Hewett all look pretty good as well.

I'm not going overboard with Phillipou just yet till I see some more consistency in his game. Has the skillset, lets see what the first half of his season looks like,
An 18 year old just played 24 games of AFL football in his first season. Including a final.

A season which included Hangers and memorable goals.

His first 2 weeks back in pre season training… whilst still 18.

He churns out a third place in a club 3k time trial.

At 190cm and roughly 90 KGs.

If you can’t be excited about what you have seen thus far about this kid. Then knitting might be more your thing.

His consistency at AFL level could be a few more years away. It’s a journey I can’t wait to watch

We are assuming Mitch and Mattaes’s natural progression is to become midfielders.
Mitch’s junior career was initially as a small forward, then when he grew, played as a winger/ half forward.
Mattaes draft year was a forward mid, low possession high impact type.
Yes, they will get some time in our midfield, however, the bulk of the midfield minutes will be taken up by Steele, Crouch, Dow, Windhager & Sinclair, with Henry & Wood on the wings.
I’m hoping Garcia can eventually break into our onball brigade, as he has the traits to make an impact!
Far from low possession high impact mate. He was a genuine match winner who could get plenty of the pill.

His confidence spooked clubs - hence why the only other club serious about taking him ….. was Dodoros Essendon.

I’m not sure about next season.

But from 2025 onwards. Phillipou will be a mid. He is a point of difference. He has wheels power height and a fantastic left foot. If he has half the career a certain Bulldogs captain has, we will be chuffed.

Far from low possession high impact mate. He was a genuine match winner who could get plenty of the pill.

His confidence spooked clubs - hence why the only other club serious about taking him ….. was Dodoros Essendon.

But from 2025 onwards. Phillipou will be a mid. He is a point of difference. He has wheels power height and a fantastic left foot. If he has half the career a certain Bulldogs captain has, we will be chuffed.
I love the kid but my comment regarding low possession high impact relates to his performance at senior level, both with us and limited senior level in SA.
His ceiling is very exciting, as is Mitch Owens but we just don’t know if they’re mids…time will tell!

Lucky for us Ross saw through the BS and knows he can turn him into something special..

How close is the Pou to signing a contract extension, Stavro? As a top ten draft pick was he automatically given a three year deal, or did that rule (1st rounders tied to 3 years for their first contract) only come in this year?

I'm a huge fan of the Pou. If you have any doubts about his form this year, take a look at his highlights package for 2023. I know he dropped off a bit towards the end of the year, no doubt due to a long, 24 game season, but his first half of the year was exciting and productive, especially for one so young.

I hope the club is looking at signing him to a King-like deal. Same for for Windy, Mitchito and Nas. The "Fabulous 5", as I call them, are the future and it would be a significant blow to lose any of them. They are the core of our next Premiership.

NAS, Pou and Lance are all potential "flight/return home" risks. All are players with that special "X" factor we have lacked for so long.

We have a good record as far as player retention goes. Let's hope our CEO, coaches and relevant support staff are doing there utmost to secure them, the sooner the better.

No doubt the SA clubs will come hard for Nas and the Pou if and when they fall out of contract. The same for Lance with WCE, if their histrionic and bitter response to us "pinching" him from them is any indication. The WC somehow had the belief he was theirs because he spent time in their NGA. Welcome to reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back