Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayZac Williams
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshAdam Cerra
Interchange from:Alex CincottaOrazio FantasiaGeorge Hewett
Brodie KempMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Caleb MarchbankJesse MotlopMarc Pittonet

Vossy confirmed Cerra is playing
Good move IMO.

One of the challenges we'll have is finding our ideal midfield mix.

I don't think we've ever been at our best with all of the big 5 playing (Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett). Hopefully they can all keep fit and in form for the rest of the year.

Voss on Adam Cerra’s availability:

“He’ll play, so the follow up question is who makes way for him. We might wait a little bit for that but certainly Adam has put a fair bit of work in over the last seven or eight weeks and we’ve probably held that a bit longer than we needed to, to try and get a couple of extra sessions under his belt.

“The fact that we were able to win a few games helps you be a bit more patient when it comes to that. He’s a very important player to us, so we’d like to get him up and going.”

Vossy's presser ...

On Adam Cerra’s availability:

“He’ll play, so the follow up question is who makes way for him. We might wait a little bit for that but certainly Adam has put a fair bit of work in over the last seven or eight weeks and we’ve probably held that a bit longer than we needed to, to try and get a couple of extra sessions under his belt.

“The fact that we were able to win a few games helps you be a bit more patient when it comes to that. He’s a very important player to us, so we’d like to get him up and going.”

I don’t understand the calls for Kemp to be a possible out at all. His kicking was a worry for me but he has cleaned it up big time over the past 6 weeks.

He sometimes gets outsized one v one but he hasn’t lost more than 1 in any week this year.

He was previously playing too erratically on going for too many out there intercepts but not any more.

He was sometimes losing his man but not any more.

He’s not getting big goal numbers kicked against.

He’s developing really well this year.

Get a real problem. Marchy is backup only now.
Yeah, I don't like seeing Kemp named on the extended bench and Marchy as one of the possible ins.
Unless he's carrying a niggle, or they think now is a good time to get a rest into him? I don't know, but I would certainly hope that he isn't dropped on form. If he's out, I want to see managed or rested next to his name, not omitted.

So, if Cerra is in, who comes out? Kennedy and Hewett both on the bench as obvious like for likes.
Cincotta as the obvious upgrade in terms of ball winning ability, but he also plays an important tagging role now.
Fantasia out, with Cincotta to play a defensive forward role on Rioli or Vlastuin? That's probably my ideal option.

When was the last time we selected a squad that had the quality and form that one has? There is not a player in that squad you would not want to see run out.

I am thinking it will be Cerra in for Durdin and Fantasia the sub.

I don't think Kemp will be replaced with Marchbank. Couldn't rule it out. If it does happen though, I doubt we will be feeling disappointed. Both are excellent players.

We should really hammer them out of the stoppages and with really high midfield rotations we should steam roll them in the second half. Their only hope is that they still have enough good players and a little bit of run in the team, which might give us a scare.

IMO we are seeing one of the best Carlton sides run out in 30 years. This should be an absolute bloodbath unless we leave our defensive effort and pressure at home.

Everywhere the ball lands for us there is talent. There is ball winning and contested ability. I really hope that we put them away in a big way for 4 quarters.

It will be the defensive stuff that opens this game up for the offensive stuff.

the mc have form in dropping kemp for marchbank this year, in the brief moments that marchbank is fit. so i won't assume anything either way until the team runs out. unless they want to switch either kemp or mcgovern forward to try a few things, which i wouldn't mind but that would be unusual too.

kind of not fussed if cerra doesn't come in immediately. hewett has had a solid couple of weeks and kennedy excellent last week. may offer a tiny touch more pace.

Voss clearly making a statement with the Durdin axing after he took a couple of short steps in the last qtr
I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure dropping the perennial sub after not having any impact a few times as making a statement.

It very, very easily could be the 23rd guy being dropped when his replacement (Motlop) is fit and has some form in the 2s.

the mc have form in dropping kemp for marchbank this year, in the brief moments that marchbank is fit. so i won't assume anything either way until the team runs out. unless they want to switch either kemp or mcgovern forward to try a few things, which i wouldn't mind but that would be unusual too.

kind of not fussed if cerra doesn't come in immediately. hewett has had a solid couple of weeks and kennedy excellent last week. may offer a tiny touch more pace.

Vossy has confirmed in his presser that Cerra will be playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton's game plan is all about what the coach references every time he speaks and was referencing when the side was losing last year. It is ALL about pressure and contest. Voss wants the team to play 4 quarters of 200 levels of pressure and the rest will look after itself.

There is enough talent in every line now to be able to match any other team in the competition IF the pressure and contest work stays at a level. Posting a 10 goal win against Geelong last week was a milestone for the Club- one thing to demolish WC last year- another thing to demolish a top8 team this year.

Whether it is Kemp or Marchbank - will make zero difference if there is a change - one contest lost or one free kick going against wont be the difference - and if it is it means many things have gone wrong.

Very important to get game time into as many role players as possible - still 10 games to go and hopefully finals. There will be injuries and soreness and rest required- rotations here and there are not a bad thing.

Apparently according to the ferals board Charlie is a free kick merchant.
Give them the heads up that Charlie has the most goals in the league not from free-kicks.

This whole idea he gets all his goals from free is coping of the highest order from opposition clubs. The best forwards have always gotten the most frees, it's because they're so good defenders panic. The idea that Charlie is worse than anyone else is hilarious as several other keys actually have more goals from frees than him, as well as the stat above that Charlie has the most goals from general play.

Update: if he gets through training he might play. Mate wouldn't risk it but he said we will see.

My thoughts
Assume it will be a last minute call but I wouldn't do it, it's not needed. If it was a prelim sure but it's against the tigers.
What's the risk? If he's fit he's fit, if he's not fit then don't play him.

It's not like if he plays the 2s he won't get into a sprint and will only run at 80% just to be safe.

Give them the heads up that Charlie has the most goals in the league not from free-kicks.

This whole idea he gets all his goals from free is coping of the highest order from opposition clubs. The best forwards have always gotten the most frees, it's because they're so good defenders panic. The idea that Charlie is worse than anyone else is hilarious as several other keys actually have more goals from frees than him, as well as the stat above that Charlie has the most goals from general play.
I'd love to see a table showing what you've said.

Carlton's game plan is all about what the coach references every time he speaks and was referencing when the side was losing last year. It is ALL about pressure and contest. Voss wants the team to play 4 quarters of 200 levels of pressure and the rest will look after itself.

There is enough talent in every line now to be able to match any other team in the competition IF the pressure and contest work stays at a level. Posting a 10 goal win against Geelong last week was a milestone for the Club- one thing to demolish WC last year- another thing to demolish a top8 team this year.

Whether it is Kemp or Marchbank - will make zero difference if there is a change - one contest lost or one free kick going against wont be the difference - and if it is it means many things have gone wrong.

Very important to get game time into as many role players as possible - still 10 games to go and hopefully finals. There will be injuries and soreness and rest required- rotations here and there are not a bad thing.
Very good point in your last paragraph.

Yes we've been winning. And there's a saying- don't mess with what ain't broken.

But to me there is still room to make tweaks in team structure, and personnel, on the run home to finals.

At least Cerra isn't coming back in a game where he has to play really well. Just seems like he always returns in games where he has to be one of our top players for us to win.

I'm interested to see what his role will be. A lot has happened since he has been out.

Hewett has picked up a lot with his form.
Kennedy has picked up a lot with his form and onball game. Found a role as a defensive mid and done it well.
E Hollands has been given a lot more onball time and has been outstanding. It's made him as a player.
Cripps and Walsh have taken their game to their peak.

I still think Cerra will spend a lot of time in another position. Probably half forward. This will effect our wing rotations, so I expect to see more of E Hollands on the wing and probably Cerra himself.

Finally we can keep our entire midfield fresh which IMO is such a massive key to our success.

I actually would not be at all surprised to see Williams spend a little time in the midfield, probably on a wing if Cerra is rotating forward.

Our tactics are going to be fascinating.

I really hope we don't take E Hollands midfield minutes away from him.

This is going to be very exciting to watch. I don't think we have fielded a side this strong since we won our last flag.

Very good point in your last paragraph.

Yes we've been winning. And there's a saying- don't mess with what ain't broken.

But to me there is still room to make tweaks in team structure, and personnel, on the run home to finals.
Vioss stated alst week that this isn't the final team it all depends on form AND role against specific opponent. Have to keep teh boys shaarp and honest - it is the 'bottom 6' players that winn you finals.

You can manage his game time in the 2s to build him up (like they did last week with DC)
You can manage minutes in the 1s as well. The sub, as well as rotation, are used all the time to manage minutes. Walsh was managed early on, for example, and still is relative to the rest of his career. McGovern also has had managed minutes vs what he was at the start of the season.

Vioss stated alst week that this isn't the final team it all depends on form AND role against specific opponent. Have to keep teh boys shaarp and honest - it is the 'bottom 6' players that winn you finals.

Yep. We're still searching for the best version of ourselves. And we can't do that if we don't make some tweaks to role and personnel when the opportunity presents itself.

We're not the finished product yet so nothing should be set in stone.

Also we need insurance in case of injury as you mentioned. I sometimes look at our wingers and wonder who plays there if Blacres or Ollie are injured or in poor form. Would be good to try a few others in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back