Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, you're going to have to expand on that. When is Marchbank better/more consistent? How far back are you going?

Kemp over commits, flying for balls when he should be bodying an opponent.

Doesn't read hand overs as well as others. Peels off at the wrong time to impact a marking contest

When he is good, he is very good, when bad, it costs goals

Nothing new, it's been happening for 12 months

I hope he players 3rd tall forward at VFL level

Make Gov defend and he'd be getting dropped all the time too.
Gov did largely get the Cameron job against the Cats which is one of the hardest jobs in footy. I think they want to make Gov more the intercepting type because his offensive game is well ahead of Kemp's. However, Kemp is still relatively young - still plenty of growth in his game

So first we put Hewetts nose out of joint for no good reason (oh yeah positioning).. and now like last year Kemp is out because Marchbank is around. Kemp's been busting his gut, sure he makes a blunder but so does Marchy and he's less durable or able to jump like Kemp can.
Any proof that Hewett’s nose was out of joint? Played like a bloke who desperately wanted to get back in the team in the ressies on the weekend

And no Jack Martin.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't subscribe to Kemp not stopping goals from going through. 11 marks and 5 intercepts suggests he is making good position, and we don't know what might have happened if he isn't there. He is also more desperate and more athletic than Marchbank. I'd also suggest we have had wins this year where Kemp has played well in his role as 2nd KPD. It just sucks that he gets the shit jobs that Weitering isn't quick enough for, and so Gov can play loose af up the ground. Make Gov defend and he'd be getting dropped all the time too.

I agree most with the bit about being shafted. Just personally I watch a few players who i think are questionable and i just tend to cringe a lot when he is in the action (like i cringe when the ball spills to the outside at a stoppage and opp mid is first there). I dont doubt his intercept marking skills...i dont doubt young's either. They goth love a free run uncontested jump and mark. Kemp isnt the same as Young but it is simply a lack of confidence permeating his game at the weight class.

Kemp is one of of a number of players in our defensive group that do shiny things but ship easy goals on ground and and in the air contested.

I'd even say we need to choose one of Mcgovern, Kemp or Marchbank and its Mcgovern easily. Weitering a lock. We are actually missing the 2nd tall defender. Given Kemps propensity to fall over id groom him for Newmans role at some point.

Gov did largely get the Cameron job against the Cats which is one of the hardest jobs in footy. I think they want to make Gov more the intercepting type because his offensive game is well ahead of Kemp's. However, Kemp is still relatively young - still plenty of growth in his game

Yeah, but Cameron spends so much time up the ground that any errors aren't quite as costly as playing deep in defence. When Cameron goes inside 50, it becomes more of a team defence matchup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp could be star. Just not a defender

I don't subscribe to Kemp not stopping goals from going through. 11 marks and 5 intercepts suggests he is making good position, and we don't know what might have happened if he isn't there. He is also more desperate and more athletic than Marchbank. I'd also suggest we have had wins this year where Kemp has played well in his role as 2nd KPD. It just sucks that he gets the shit jobs that Weitering isn't quick enough for, and so Gov can play loose af up the ground. Make Gov defend and he'd be getting dropped all the time too.
If you have a loose interceptor then you want someone with great disposal skills, and Gov has that

Also feel Marchbank is a bit like
Weiters where they play better with a few games under their belt… would love to see kemp play third forward and just go for it … he has that attacking flair to go for marks

So first we put Hewetts nose out of joint for no good reason (oh yeah positioning).. and now like last year Kemp is out because Marchbank is around. Kemp's been busting his gut, sure he makes a blunder but so does Marchy and he's less durable or able to jump like Kemp can.
4 turnovers from 9 touches for marchbank last week. Kemp hasn't been great the last 2 weeks (would love to have seen marchbank hold hogan 😂). Team selections shit house again picking long time favourites instead of what was winning games for us.

A weekend at the curnows farm during the end of season bye will be required.

Because he is thrown to the wolves doing the jobs so that Gov, Weitering and Marchbank can be freed up, or not be exposed.
Believe me I agree with what you are saying 100% he looks like he has been thrown to the wolves but, the fact is his opponent has been the best or one of the best for weeks on end and we have to rectify it.

Doesn't read hand overs as well as others. Peels off at the wrong time to impact a marking contest

I think this says it best with Kemp.

His floor and ceiling are so far apart that he is part of the problem of our defence shipping goals. In a contested moment Kemp is either an 8 or a 2. We need defenders with a floor and ceiling in a much better range.

This good and bad propensity is core to most of our defenders. Newman can get possessions and metres gained but he simply cant close gaps when its fast overlap transition by the opposition. Again it leads to goals. But Newmans stats look great like Kemps intercept marks.

That seems quite generalised. When a high ball comes in and a pack forms, you're suggesting that he needs to stay down and body his opponent, when he is usually on the main target? You'd crucify him if he didn't go up.

Incidentally, across their careers, in contested defensive one on one losses, Kemp is 34.1%, and Marchbank's is 33.8%.

This season, Kemp is 30.8% and Marchbank is 80%. Kemp also averages 4.3 spoils per game to Marchbank 2.7%.

At some point, some stats have to make a lie of the eye test. Certain errors stand out in the memory and multiply in the mind over time.

80% in one on one defensive losses ... sheesh. Even I had no idea it was that bad.

Also feel Marchbank is a bit like
Weiters where they play better with a few games under their belt… would love to see kemp play third forward and just go for it … he has that attacking flair to go for marks
Marchbank is not going to get games under his belt, he's made of glass. Stop putting him ahead of players that have the potential to reach somewhere near their peak. Marchbank isn't making it past base camp.

Well, we are just seeing with the 2 ruck choice. We are just seeing with Cincotta as a tagger/HFF and now probably HBF again. We were 'just seeing' with Williams when he went forward.

Part of this seeing with Marchbank is because there is a 'gaping hole' as the second tall defender given McGovern has the interceptor role. Kemp has 100% proved he cant play the role due to being in the wrong weight division (falls over, pushed off a lot - so much so they don't even award contested one on one losses against him because he is too far from the actual final mark).
Do you like any carlton player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back