Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, give him a spell? Maybe sub. Shouldn’t need to tag, Cincotta plays back for a “refresher course”, leading in to finals to have all eventualities covered.

Also allows for some change ups, like Cuningham and/or Motlop to get a run. Even Carroll getting some more senior minutes would be positive. Blokes like Elijah and Fogarty who played increased midfield minutes last game, can revert to the forward line for management purposes.

Thinking our match committee is largely about getting the list to September in good shape, thus creating a few dramas at the moment.

I really hate the small forward as the sub and think Boyd would be similar, he doesn’t find the ball enough or have any run, to influence a game as a sub.

Cunners as a sub if he deserves a run or someone like Hewett/Kennedy actually offer something.

Selection will be very interesting this week

Pretty sure Charlie had almost 10 shots on goal, but was inaccurate, different narrative if it was 6.3 vs 3.6.
For me, no - he's the primary option in one of the highest scoring teams in the comp, he's going to score. My concern is when he wasn't having a shot, he almost had no involvement & puts in no work defensively.
He's supremely talented but he's playing selfish footy ATM, it's the same thing Fev would be called out for back in the day.

Moving Williams up front has been a bit of a revelation. Hoping his hamstring tightness doesn’t take too long to get untight
Yep, we have “cover”, but Williams and Fantasia both needing down time and C.Durdin returning from a shoulder in a fortnight is not a great state of affairs.

Owies and Motlop would have to be locks. Suspect Fog and ‘Lij more forward minutes and Cuningham back playing predominantly higher. (Martin not close yet for mine). I still believe Binns should be schooled in forward craft, with the Campos coming, and Doc returning next year, the wings are going to be hard to find opportunity on. The kid has some great attributes and is contracted for another two years. A waste of a list spot if he is not in the mix.

Watched replay and also bits and pieces from GWS game

Although some players are an issue we have gotten away from the contested, defence first game that has made us so good over last 12 months

I have no doubt that once we do we will be hard to beat. As frustrating as last two weeks have been it won't take much to turn it around.

Motlop McGovern Hewett Martin Williams S.Durdin will help as well

I reckon Cincotta benefitted a lot from the 'surprise' element of the tagging. Wouldn't mind him being moved back to hbf on weeks where we don't need him.

1 ruck please. At this stage I would prefer solo Pitto before we play both again. Obviously if TDK is fully fit we back him in. Gun.

Fix the midfield. I get that we're slow so we're trying a bit more speed through there. But when we were a dominant clearance team we mitigated our pace by bloody winning the clearance more often than not. Best defence is a good attack as they say.

Not sure what to do with Cerra at this stage. Perhaps use him as a wing?

I haven’t paid too much attention to fogs game - has he dropped off a little as well last couple of weeks?

Hard to judge small forwards when midfield is badly beaten like last two weeks

I think Fogarty is an important player

If fit Fogarty Williams Motlop Owies is a very dangerous and balanced combination

I reckon Cincotta benefitted a lot from the 'surprise' element of the tagging. Wouldn't mind him being moved back to hbf on weeks where we don't need him.

1 ruck please. At this stage I would prefer solo Pitto before we play both again. Obviously if TDK is fully fit we back him in. Gun.

Fix the midfield. I get that we're slow so we're trying a bit more speed through there. But when we were a dominant clearance team we mitigated our pace by bloody winning the clearance more often than not. Best defence is a good attack as they say.

Not sure what to do with Cerra at this stage. Perhaps use him as a wing?
Reckon give Cinc a run in the guts....

Cerra HFF with mid time... or even HBF? get him involved?

I’ve been pushing for this for weeks. Anyone can tag but Cincotta will add run, toughness and good ball use which we need. Will compliment the Bulls perfectly and allow Walsh to a wing

Think the difference Durham has made to Essendon midfield mix

Importantly, he is highly respected and will bring energy to side

Cerra HFF with mid time... or even HBF? get him involved?
I agree. Tell Cinc to go hunt the footy in the middle and try and drive hard out of contests. Perhaps Chugga can do a tagging role or they can wax between tagging and ball hunting.

Two less than satisfactory performances from the team in the last week but the season is well and truly alive and second spot is still ours for the taking.

I believe we should only play the one ruckman. Tommy definitely performs better, Harry can get involved in the play if he's a bit quiet down forward and it allows us to pick another runner.

Mots looks like he is ready. So out Zaccy unfortunately but hopefully not for long. George Hewett might be a bit slow but he's a damn hard worker who is tough and has neat skills. He helps our clearance game significantly. Out Ollie with Cez or Walshy as the replacement winger. Pitto (great backup) out with DC as the in. Cotts gets one more chance although he should have been required to work his way back via the twos. With his endurance he needs to be having an influence. Jack Carroll unlucky. Hopefully Gov gets up and Marchy comes out.

Regardless of how well we're going we always have to have the mindset that we are the hunter. Hunt the ball, hunt the opposition with the ball. We need to elevate our pressure and contest game. That's our identity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sense destruction for the comp from here

Don’t think we lose a game for the rest of the year. 1 at max. Think last 2 weeks was a reminder to stay 100% focused. Like what happened to Sydney

16-7 or 17-6 from here
I hope so. But nothing will be as easy as the dogs and GWS should have been. Hopefully a touch up v north is coming to ensure we have some confidence again in our game plan. A settled lineup is important for the final 6 games heading into finals. We’d want to have a few positions sorted in the next couple.

Medium/Tall defender - McGovern
Wing - Acres and Hollands (or do we try Cerra or Walsh or Hewett)
Midfield rotations - Cripps Walsh Hewett should be starting 3. Then it’s between Cerra Kennedy Carroll for the fourth position
Ruck - 1 or 2. I’m a form believer in TDK only with McKay pinch hitting.
Third tall forward - Cripps/kennedy or Martin rotating
Small forwards - Owies/Fogarty/Williams is the first 3 imo. Then it’s Motlop or Cuningham or Fantasia off the bench.
To tag or not - Cincotta keeps his spot until we don’t have a match up.but where does he start.
Sub - a small forward has been our starting position. But I’d prefer a versatile mid/fwd. Cotterell or Martin would be perfect.

A lot of questions.

Despite Carlton's wobbles over the last two weeks, we are still second on the ladder. SECOND!!!

Hope the coach requires all players to bring mouthguards to training this week. Should serve as a timely reminder of the hard pressure footy which got us to where we were before flicking the switch off at quarter time in the GWS game.

A home qualifying final will be the reward if the team's mental desire and physical application are re-discovered.

We're in an interesting position right now. We've managed to maintain 2nd on the ladder, however we've lost our breathing room.

This is purely a guess but I get the impression that we're going through a rigorous training load at the moment which is affecting our ability to run and carry. It also doesn't help that we've selected arguably slower teams against two of the quickest teams in the AFL.

Teams on the higher end of the ladder often go through a lull at some point between rounds 9-19 as they begin to ramp up for the back end of the year.

I feel that we'll win comfortably on the weekend. Winning 5 of our last 6 should get us a home final and this should be the expectation given our run home.

OUT: Marchbank, Pitto, Williams
IN: McGovern, Hewitt, Motlop

Cottrell sub?

Boyd cost us 3 goals with his kicking out of D50 last night. Do we need to give him a spell? But who comes in? Hewett or Cerra to half back.
Boyd had a mare with his kicking on Saturday. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the office as he is usually rock solid by foot

I’ve been pushing for this for weeks. Anyone can tag but Cincotta will add run, toughness and good ball use which we need. Will compliment the Bulls perfectly and allow Walsh to a wing

Think the difference Durham has made to Essendon midfield mix

Importantly, he is highly respected and will bring energy to side
He might even use his closing speed and strength to chase and tackle. I would actually give him a run in there but a the role of a soft tag. Would want him running off his opponent to hunt the lose ball or closest ball carrier. We need hard tackling and fast closing speed in there. Definitely would like to see it.

Last edited:
We may have to consider rotating Walsh and Cerra more. The problem is we haven't really implemented a second position into their game.

In the past we have played Walsh as a +1 midfielder off the half forward flank. I think Cerra should rest forward more.

We are never going to be a good running midfield. We should play to our strengths. Go with two heavy bodies in there, two of Kennedy, Cripp and Hewett and play Walsh and Cerra around them.

Voss' rigid coaching needs to change quickly. Players need to go and impact in other positions.

We need to sort our forward line out. Too many low skilled, low IQ players VFL level players. Fogarty and Cottrell don't bother any side. May as well be playing with a man down. The odd chase and running up and down the field like an umpire really brings very little to the side and it's very overrated. Premiership sides don't have non-contributors like this.

Our midfield needs to physically challenge the opposition. We need to play our heavy hitters and have high rotations.

I think our best side looks like this.

Newman Weitering (Durdin/Marchbank if not Kemp)
Saad McGovern Boyd
Acres Cripps Kemp (But coach will never try it so Hollands)
Cerra Curnow E Hollands
Motlop McKay Martin
DeKoning Hewett Walsh
Cowan Kennedy Cincotta Williams
Owies

Good thing for us we are close to having it all available. you'd love Docherty in there running out of the backline or a wing. I think our coaching group are clueless when it comes to making midfield rotations work and keeping the structure in there strong.

Reckon that side, you rotate Cerra, Hollands and Hewett as your plus one. Not sure on how the backline is finalised. Depends on how well Durdin and MArchbank end up playing in the AFL side.

If we want to win a flag, the side needs to be filled with players who are a threat offensively but will put their head down and do the defensive stuff as well.

Cottrell couldn’t possible be selected in the 23 this week.
Has the running patterns of an umpire. Runs up and down, stays close to play and avoids contact with the ball and the players. Could get selected as an umpire? But if he's selected as a player the coaches are clueless.

But nothing will be as easy as the dogs and GWS should have been.
The dogs and giants are two quality sides that were fighting for their survival in the race for finals when they played us. Yes they both had some key players out, but nothing indicated that either of those games would be the easiest in our run home. Four of our remaining fixtures are against the current bottom six teams. Let’s not get too low when things don’t go our way or too high when they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back