IMG_0953.jpeg

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton-vs-Hawthorn.png
Welcome! Welcome! One and all! To this ultimate extravaganza of an AFL game on a wintry Sunday arvo at the G.

I was planning on writing this review post the Hawks game vs GWS this afternoon, but I think we have enough of a sample of the ticker of the 2 teams mindset, fitness, coaching for the last 6 weeks, and they do say it takes 6 weeks to form a habit and what a habit we've formed.

The following image depicts what I'm expecting to ensue during game day.

1722729976808.png

Hawks are playing bold, direct, fast, precision skilled, youthful, daring, confident and arrogant football, highly modelled after their coach and his team from his playing days. On the other hand it's great to see Carlton revert back to expectations of this century with their timid, confused, high bombing F50, running around in circles arms flailing attempts to win a football game.

I believe a few weeks ago Mrs Hagarty (from Annie) waltzed into the club/AFL with all the hooha of us being near favourites for this years flag, Cripps in Brownlow form, 100K+ members and a glut of joyous supporters/members and just went;

giphy.gif

At the moment our F50 play, our entries into our F50 are at our Pagan and Malthouse era bad, in fact we're playing as though we have the great Wayne Carey and John Longmire in our forward line, with some smart tough crumbing small forwards just getting it done. I think post this season there will be a long reflection on why every season in Voss' tenor we have momentum showing brilliance which is equally balanced by momentum showing the exact opposite.

I don't think we have enough time to fix or re-align our mindset for this season. Further injuries to players during the game (Cerra, Cottrel), with Gov also having gone down the race during the game (looked like he had his shoulder taped up) and also a last 10 second head knock (concussion protocols may ensue), Charlie hurt his ankle (again) and didn't look too comfortable, and Walsh is prancing around in a walking frame Herbert the Pervert style.

What I've seen of the Hawks the last few weeks is really a game of confidence and desire, with that Hawks Swagger we've come to expect. The key to beating them is to be tough, committed, smart, tactically savy and burst their confidence bubble, unfortunately the current Carlton will be unable to deliver such a feat.

Sicily, Day, Ginnivan, Newcombe, Impey, Chol and Watson are all playing well and Gunston has re-found his mojo, expect them to run riot and cut us up.

I could go on and analyse, but to quote Forest Gump; "That's all I have to say about that!", I'll see myself out.

Carlton to have a decent fighting first 1.5 quarters to be overun after half time.

Hawks by 6 goals.

Last edited:
Not too worried about this one now. Make up the numbers on the edge of the 8 or miss the 8 altogether? I don't want to see this team in finals. We got our pressure valve release last season. We've been flaky this year. Can't work out a way to release our gun forwards. It's a criminal waste of talent.

Out: Cerra (hamstring), Cottrell (shoulder), Curnow (sprained ankle/broken streak)
In: Lord, God knows, Lemmey

Edit: Oops I mean ... Next Man Up

Last edited:

Yeah were losing this one 100%, one team is up and about and in control of their game the other has faded to to brink of existance.

We need another midseason team meeting at the curnows to sort our shit out for 2025 at this point.

Out: Cerra - Cottrell - Pittoful - Boyd

In: Cowan - Kennedy - (Binns) - (anyone)

Once again unless we're well on top Pitto is useless. Only got on top when Cameron was completely spent. Spent the rest of the game being clowned around the ground by a mid tier or lower ruck. He's simply not AFL standard.

We shouldn't have dropped Cowan in favour of Boyd. He has no composure, cannot kick and constantly allows his opponent off the chain. His third quarter alone he single-handily cost us 3 goals. Never again. Next time he defensively punches it directly to an open opposition player I'm going to have a coronary.

Those that watch VFL will have the best two possible ins but both need to be dropped if thr MC has any right to ever claim selection integrity again.

This is turning out to be a frustrating season, never really hit any form of note, especially as a team.
In the shite if we drop this one. Dislike the Hawks, would like to redeem something by standing tall to chalk up a win against these cocky #*%+’s

Not too worried about this one now. Make up the numbers on the edge of the 8 or miss the 8 altogether? I don't want to see this team in finals. We got our pressure valve release last season. We've been flaky this year. Can't work out a way to release our gun forwards. It's a criminal waste of talent.

Out: Cerra (hamstring), Cottrell (shoulder), Curnow (sprained ankle/broken streak)
In: Lord, God knows, Lemmey

Edit: Oops I mean ... Next Man Up
Missing a third tall. It’s always 3 on 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said in Pies preview I was confident we would win that game and it was this game I was most anxious about.

Hawks play a real run and gun game, are confident and are really quick

Speed is a major issue of ours and I’m concerned no matter who is in our out

Outs Cottrell, Cerra

Ins, probably Cowan, Fantasia/Lord

Was the last quarter an indication that we might have seen a change in mindset? Still can't get a feel

This, I want to see more risk taking for the next 3 games, show me you can coach Vossy, make these boys dare and believe.

I can not withstand another game of long down the line Carlton, I honestly can’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back