Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Care to share?

Because we didn't draft him?
From what I was told, we played the usual arrogant style with him in his draft year and his family and turned them off.

"Oh, you'll be desperate to come back and play for us, so just ask for a trade in 2 years"

We've always had this issue and Reid has continued it. We're arrogant when we approach players, think our shit doesn't stink and being the "biggest club in SA" that players will be desperate to play for us over Port. We approach with a "you'll be desperate to play for us" attitude rather than a "we want you to play for us" style that turns a lot of potential recruits off.

Pretty embarrassing we’ve missed Luko. Crows fan growing up, been into him since he was drafted, he’s coming reasonably cheap (when you compare what it would have cost in his draft year).

We have picks and money for him. Team that should be on the up.

And he ends up landing at our cross town rivals after they embarrass themselves in finals and look ready to flick their coach.

He’s a hell of a lot better than Petty we tried to sell the fam for.

Fine to say he’s not a priority, midfield is. But that only works if we’re actually trading in a superstar midfielder this year.
So you've decided to cry before seeing if this part actually happens?

I recommend patience.

This off-season is more likely to be exciting for the AFL, I'm hearing some aggressive work is being done to get a top level midfielder. I am not sure who yet

On SM-T636B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think for a 12 comment poster, you might need to give a bit more information than that to be believed.

Superstar mids very rarely get traded so I don't expect that, but I do still think/hope we'll make improvements there. If we end up doing nothing then I'll have my pitchfork ready too don't worry.
Dont worry, our new logo will drop soon which will distract us for an hour......

So since Nicks signed on around the trade period in 2019, we've attracted to our club:

Billy Frampton
Mitch Hinge
Jordan Dawson
Izak Rankine
Chris Burgess
Alex Neal-Bullen
Isaac Cumming (maybe)

Across six trade periods.

From what I was told, we played the usual arrogant style with him in his draft year and his family and turned them off.

"Oh, you'll be desperate to come back and play for us, so just ask for a trade in 2 years"

We've always had this issue and Reid has continued it. We're arrogant when we approach players, think our shit doesn't stink and being the "biggest club in SA" that players will be desperate to play for us over Port. We approach with a "you'll be desperate to play for us" attitude rather than a "we want you to play for us" style that turns a lot of potential recruits off.
From the players point of view, being the bigger club in SA kind of works against you if the club isn't performing. That's just more irate fans yelling shit at you when you're out trying to get a bite to eat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't believe this. You have no evidence that this happened and you are just making stuff up to justify your anger.

No, not really.

I'm just not happy with Cumming and Neale-Bullen being our only acquisitions.
Cumming could be a long term player for us, but ANB is really only likely to be a stop gap.
ANB is not just a stop gap, he's 29 and could quite easily play another 4-5 seasons given he's fairly durable. He makes our best 18 better.

ANB is not just a stop gap, he's 29 and could quite easily play another 4-5 seasons given he's fairly durable. He makes our best 18 better.
I'd probably expect at least 3 seasons of his 2021-24 level of production. Even if he falls below that during his 4th or 5th year with us, he'd still likely be best 22, given what he brings is pretty unique

In the meanwhile, hopefully we can develop someone (drafted either this year or next) to be his successor

So since Nicks signed on around the trade period in 2019, we've attracted to our club:

Billy Frampton
Mitch Hinge
Jordan Dawson
Izak Rankine
Chris Burgess
Alex Neal-Bullen
Isaac Cumming (maybe)

2 of these are our best players. TBH it's not a great amount but 5/7 of these I would consider successful if they all come through.

Billy Frampton
Mitch Hinge
Jordan Dawson
Izak Rankine
Chris Burgess
Alex Neal-Bullen
Isaac Cumming (maybe)

Compared to Port in the same timeframe:

Aliir
Finlayson
JHF
Rioli
F.Evans
Ratugolea
Soldo
Sweet
BZT
Luko

JHF is the big one there. The best junior SA has produced in the last 20 years.

Billy Frampton
Mitch Hinge
Jordan Dawson
Izak Rankine
Chris Burgess
Alex Neal-Bullen
Isaac Cumming (maybe)

Luko to Port makes sense to me, not really fussed about that.

The one that has me scratching my head is Cumming and Perryman. There's been a tonne of interest from Port for Perryman, but why not us? Surely we can give him midfield time.... are we thinking we have enough experience in there with Crouch? I just don't know why we haven't been in the mix there. I'll be furious if we miss out on Cumming, but i don't know why we wouldn't have a crack at both players, it makes a lot sense list profile wise, positionally....

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back