Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Last edited:
WaynesWorld19 I asked who you would have taken ahead of Curtin and Rachele and you named two players already off the board.

🤷‍♂️
No ...I did say, I nominated the Players in AUG / SEPT ......if they drift up the draft boards in the two months after, that simply reinforces that I made good calls

I don't then revise those calls .....I also chose Oliver, two months out, when he was expected to go in the high teens

My point was Mac Andrew was rated at #20 when I made the call ....Curtin was always rated top 3, so why would I nominate Curtin, when he wasn't a realistic chance in Aug / Sept
Twomey had Andrew at #12 in his June rankings, #8 in July, #9 in August, #8 in September, #9 in October.
Talk about big time revisionist history on your part...Twomey had Mac Andrew at pick 12 in June, pick 8 in July, pick 9 in August and pick 8 in September when you made your call, dunno where you pulled the pick 20 stuff from though I do have an inkling...:)

How many of his games did you watch ? ......wasn't about CBA's, it was Windsors on-field running patterns, and decision making with ball in hand

Did you honestly expect Windsor to have CBA's this year ......that would be highly optimistic
I literally said I expected the opposite, cmon man 😂

Did see him play a bit, not a lot but he clearly looked more comfortable in space, as most rookies do. Really not sure how the call of him being primarily outside is wrong, yet

It’s already huge for me because of the obvious change in attitude from the club this year. We have for so long backed in incumbents regardless off all evidence with a dogged stubbornness, but this year we are addressing the midfield, leg speed and coaching deficiencies, which is a very pleasant change.

Actually getting the targets would be the cherry on top, but we can’t start improving until we admit the mistakes we’ve been making, and signs are good.
You may well be right. I agree that Burgess seems a pretty sad outcome for a whole trade period last year, but we don't ever know what exactly goes on during trading periods. The picks involved in that trade did help us out later though. We may have tried our luck at a whole variety of meritorious deals only to find we didn't have the currency - real or draft - or they didn't want to come.

It does appear, however, that there is a more aggressive approach this year - because the club actually said it and it has been more transparent as exemplified by the Gulden approach.

At the other end of the scale, I wouldn't want us to trade aggressively every time - like Port - because we want to find missing pieces or to outbid us, or whatever superficial reasons they dream up. Some times it works - JHF ( although that might bite them this year) and the Rozee etc superdraft. But sometimes its just a disaster!

I thought the opposite. Perryman is moving for midfield opportunities. If he’s been promised more mid time it’s harder for Peatling to find a spot and also reduces the Magpies need to trade in another mid
I found this to be very strange ....COLL promised a Midfield role ....it appears PORT wanted to play Perryman at HB in place of Houston

Strange by Port

Gonna be some mixed emotions from Port fans. If Houston is really worth what they think, having no replacement for him is a disaster and Ken shouldn’t be expected to make another prelim considering their squad has gotten worse.

If they’re still expecting a prelim at minimum, then Houston is more replaceable than they want to admit and is closer to Carlton’s valuation of him.

From a team structure point of view they needed Luko more than they need Houston. They won't be able to cover Houston but they need key forwards and they are really difficult to find. They take ages to develop as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No ...I did say, I nominated the Players in AUG / SEPT ......if they drift up the draft boards in the two months after, that simply reinforces that I made good calls

I don't then revise those calls .....I also chose Oliver, two months out, when he was expected to go in the high teens

The request was for you to look back on the draft and pick who were the better options.

I don't care about who you wanted in August.

Seems like you know earlier with mids. Even at 18 you get a pretty good gauge. Not perfect but better than with other player types

Whereas with talls it takes a bit longer to work out who the good ones are going to be
Yep i get that and agree 100%

But what about the 'I think they will be able to add KPP without too many issues.'? Thats my issue here. Why have teams with exceptional mids like Swans, Power and Dees (KPF in their case) not been able to bring in quality KPP's 'without too many issues'? I actually think its harder to bring in good quality talls with limited supply of KPD (look at FA costs of Battle and reported Weitering 1.5m/yr - eek) and even harder for quality KPF. Genuinely cant remember the last time a Walker/Fog/TT calibre player was traded but am sure there are some examples and the rare FA's like Daniher showed how critical it is to make these rare gems count

Power showed last year getting the worst KPD in the league (statistically) and Cats Rat for a F1 that it costs good money and/or draft picks to bring in even B-F grade tall talent via trades. Crows did very well building backline talls with basically zilch spent in terms of draft picks. Some of Hamishs best work but tall draftees take years

Neil Balme today

npc-behavior-be-like.gif

The request was for you to look back on the draft and pick who were the better options.

I don't care about who you wanted in August.
That wouldn't be a challenge ....in hindsight too much exposed form since 2021 ....so I don't have a high interest level

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back