Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Last edited:

The big question is, how much of his salary are Melbourne willing to pay.

Rumours are there has been couple off field incidents since end of season which is why Melbourne are shopping him around

For a senior player he seems to be repeating his mistakes - he’s caused a divide amongst the players at Melbourne- is he really worth the long term risk ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have something reasonably positive in our favour, however I think he’d probably prefer to stay at home. He’s a western Sydney suburbs lad. Having said that, if the deal is too good to be true, this one thing in our favour could be worth its weight in gold.
Can you shed any light on this yet?

Rumours are there has been couple off field incidents since end of season which is why Melbourne are shopping him around

For a senior player he seems to be repeating his mistakes - he’s caused a divide amongst the players at Melbourne- is he really worth the long term risk ?

I would say no, but can see the appeal from a potential performance POV.

Surely we are asking the question of Oliver. Prepared to pay 2 first rounders last year. If it is only going to cost us a F1… that’s what we would have given for Luko.
I'd hazard a guess that if we do miss out on Peatling, it'll be full steam ahead on Oliver and they'll roll the red carpet out for him, and try and package it together with the ANB trade for way more than Pick 25 or a future second

i dont think so anymore. basically he has had onfield, off field issues and is saddled with possibly the worst contact in the league. even if melb stump up a considerable percentage of his contract for 6 years what output are you potentially even getting for the next 3? also probably played a big part in the disintegration of melbourne's culture and standards. for where we're at now it's simply not worth the risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We scoured the world for the best applicant, turns out Rory Sloane was just down the hallway.
The last thing we need.
Our culture has been one of entitled senior players putting younger players in their box.
It has resulted in zero success for nearly 30 years. It would be absolute insanity to formalise this culture.

The last thing we need.
Our culture has been one of entitled senior players putting younger players in their box.
It has resulted in zero success for nearly 30 years. It would be absolute insanity to formalise this culture.
Yep, I’m a huge Tex fan and reckon he would be a great forward coach and was happy for him to be that with us but even some of his comments and attitude has me reconsidering it. But as for Sloane, no way do I want him at the club.

I still reckon Bailey Smith is off to Gold Coast. I actually think he wants out of Victoria and to a state that isn't obsessed with AFL

Its a no from me. He would still cost a lot to get him to come to us. It would be a massive risk that he goes off the rails again and we are then stuck with his contract.

Back ourselves in with the young group we have, add pick 4 plus ANB, Cumming, Peatling and I think we are on the right track already.

I still reckon Bailey Smith is off to Gold Coast. I actually think he wants out of Victoria and to a state that isn't obsessed with AFL
I have two Cotton On sources who would know and they have been pretty smug about the topic.

I'll be very surprised if it's not the cats. Maybe Oliver throws a spanner but I know who I'd have if given a choice.

Seriously would you rather bet on Oliver to turn it around in a new environment fueled by the desire to prove the Demons and Melbourne media wrong or would you bet on the AFC to properly develop a kid? I know where my money would be.

I reckon given his salary and rumours Melb happy to let him go we wouldn't give up 4 for him so let's go get him.

Gotta be bold enough to bet on ourselves to be able to turn around a player. Stengle left and Geelong took the risk for great reward. Our turn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back