Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Last edited:
Again

Have a look at Fagans CV and tell.me what he did before becoming coaching director at Hasthorn
Well we know, Fagan repeatedly went for head Coaching jobs, and was unsuccessful .....sometimes with age comes experience, wisdom, and knowledge ....and then surround yourself with great people

About a 3rd of the way thru the season, the "experts" were talking about Fagans replacement .....it's a fickle business

But he’s coaching our coach, not the team. Seems a very odd coaching director teaching a 5 year senior coach how to coach!
Maybe he is being brought in as a toe cutter. Coming in to see which coaches are performing/not performing and making the tough calls because others are incapable of it. I have no idea but just speculating.

If he was being announced as a line coach you'd find the reaction would be completely different.

The reality is he's coming into a role (Director of Coaching) that he's arguably not completely qualified for.

That's the issue people have with this.

The big clubs have no issue pulling high quality candidates while we have to resort to plucking someone from obscurity, putting him into the position and hoping that he'll deliver.

We essentially did the same thing with Adam Kelly.
But he isn’t announced as anything other than nicks ‘right hand man’ yet

Also what you consider high quality candidates vs what are actually high quality might also differ

‘High profile’ you’re talking about , different than ‘high quality ‘

Only people close to the action know for sure and we will find out with results either way eventually

And he may not be, but there’s plenty on here supporting the appointment even if he is.

If the journo is wrong and he isn’t I’m happy with him as senior assistant.

If he is our coaching director, I want posters to be honest with themselves, do you honestly think he was our first, second, third, fourth choice and take into account all the media reports of how we are struggling to fill it and take into account how hard it is for us to attract experienced quality people. We’ve clearly settled for what we could get and his CV backs that up.

As for Nicks, I hope he is our coaching director and he’s been advised by someone who hasn’t even coached their own afl team, what an insult and it’s what he deserves.
It's definitely left field from where i sit, well outside AFL land, but what I'm saying is the coaching director doesn't teach the coach to coach, like the coach doesn't teach the players to play.

I'm interested to find out more about what the role is and how it supports all our coaches, especially Nicks but not just him.

If he was being announced as a line coach you'd find the reaction would be completely different.

The reality is he's coming into a role (Director of Coaching) that he's arguably not completely qualified for.

That's the issue people have with this.

The big clubs have no issue pulling high quality candidates while we have to resort to plucking someone from obscurity, putting him into the position and hoping that he'll deliver.

We essentially did the same thing with Adam Kelly.

Out of Curiosity - who would you prefer as Director of Coaching?

I don't know much about Murray Davis but it's not like he doesn't have skin in the game. Over 11 years of coaching would give him a look over many. We need experience and that comes in different forms. I know we were all probably hoping for a Bartel, Buckley and some other big-name get but if we are being honest with ourselves coming to Adelaide is a hard sell for most. I hate how we go about things 99% of the time but I'm willing to give this bloke a chance.

Based on what the Brisbane board has told me he was their backline coach for a fair bit and had a fantastic relationship with Harris Andrews (who highly rates him). He was then moved to their forward coach and safe to say their forward structure was decent if you consider Ah Che and Lohmann's fantastic seasons. Their kicking accuracy was a bit how-you-doing throughout the year, however.

Oh and he managed to survive 3 rebuilds with Voss, Leppa and Fagan...

Last edited:
Well we know, Fagan repeatedly went for head Coaching jobs, and was unsuccessful .....sometimes with age comes experience, wisdom, and knowledge ....and then surround yourself with great people

About a 3rd of the way thru the season, the "experts" were talking about Fagans replacement .....it's a fickle business
Didnt know fagan took over half a decade to make finals. Not a good comparison.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again

Have a look at Fagans CV and tell.me what he did before becoming coaching director at Hasthorn

I think people are getting Chris Fagan's role wrong or minimizing his experience.

He was Head of Coaching and Development at Hawthorn. So at our club that would be a mixture of a new role, and Marco Bello's role (Head of Development)

Fagan was also the GM of Football Operations at Melbourne before moving to Hawthorn, so he had higher tier experience before moving into the Head of Coaching and Development role.

As far as I'm aware Murray Davis only has assistant coaching experience, so he is being promoted into a new role without an equivalent experience base

Either way Geelong should have a full salary cap audit if they pull off Smith Oliver and Martin

Oh totally, how could they possibly fit in the likes of Jed Bews, Jack Henry, Zach Guthrie, Tom Atkins, Oisin Mullin, Jake Kolodjashnij, Shaun mannagh, Lawson Humphries, Shannon Neale, plus an ancient Mitch Duncan, and Rhys Stanley.
Millionaire mile right there.

Also what you consider high quality candidates vs what are actually high quality might also differ

Only people close to the action know for sure and we will find out with results either way eventually
relapse you need to improve your arguments ..... Jeff is on the money here

You're struggling to actually read the fact that it's essentially the same path Chris Fagan has taken.

I imagine if we had Pick 5 in the draft you'd be wanting us to pick a Western Australian KPF.

I mean Buddy was Pick 5 and from WA, surely that is a winning formula that can just be applied across the board.

The article was confusing as says he’s the new football director and also his right hand man . Can’t be both??

Oh totally, how could they possibly fit in the likes of Jed Bews, Jack Henry, Zach Guthrie, Tom Atkins, Oisin Mullin, Jake Kolodjashnij, Shaun mannagh, Lawson Humphries, Shannon Neale, plus an ancient Mitch Duncan, and Rhys Stanley.
Millionaire mile right there.
What about Dangerfield, Bruhn, Holmes, Cameron, Stengle, Stewart, Ollie Henry, Blicavs

I thought he had a wealth of experience outside of AFL.

What was Walsh’s previous experience before he was appointed ?

Davis has head coaching experience in the QAFL/NEAFL, which is similar to assistant coaching experience at AFL level

Phil Walsh had assistant coach experience under Mark Williams and John Worsfold, but he was promoted into a head coach role, pretty normal stuff.

A Director of Coaching role is above a head coach, so you'd think the requirements for experience would be higher and you'd want some sort of high level experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back