Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Last edited:
Surely it has to be questioned? Jack Martin, Bailey Smith, Clayton Oliver….
We know Oliver's contract is $1m pa... so we are not talking chump change.

Feels like we are trying to save face and indirectly make Nicks an 'assistant coach' without sacking him.

This feels like a very modern AFC thing to do here:

-Make a bungled rash decision like extending Nicks in March only for it to backfire and finish bottom 4
-To carefully 'stage manage' the situation to avoid sacking Nicks (so the likes of Silvers/Olsen/Kelly et al can continue to hold onto their gold pass roles and avoid serious egg on said faces) we now look to make some big 'off field' appointments.
-Try to land a big name in Graham Wright (to look like we are being 'aggressive')
-Appoint a lower profile 'assistant coach' from a premiership team and make him 'Coaching Director'
-If dont land any more of Wright, Dew, Montgomery etc fall back position to above point and say it was a 'huge coup'.

The sheer amount of off field window dressing going on at the AFC is amazing at the moment.

Modern AFC thing to do? They've been doing this stuff for years.. Over promise under deliver.

Adelaide chasing Oliver: Two 1sts and a 2nd, prying him out of Victoria.

Geelong chasing Oliver: 4th rounder gets it done, lad needs a fresh start.
It's going to be intriguing to see the trade.

1st Petty, then Oliver... Dees just don't know when to cash in with us.

Some big name retirements who would have been on good coin though. Hawkins, Tuohy, Rohan?, Guthrie?

Feels like we are trying to save face and indirectly make Nicks an 'assistant coach' without sacking him.

This feels like a very modern AFC thing to do here:

-Make a bungled rash decision like extending Nicks in March only for it to backfire and finish bottom 4
-To carefully 'stage manage' the situation to avoid sacking Nicks (so the likes of Silvers/Olsen/Kelly et al can continue to hold onto their gold pass roles and avoid serious egg on said faces) we now look to make some big 'off field' appointments.
-Try to land a big name in Graham Wright (to look like we are being 'aggressive')
-Appoint a lower profile 'assistant coach' from a premiership team and make him 'Coaching Director'
-If dont land any more of Wright, Dew, Montgomery etc fall back position to above point and say it was a 'huge coup'.

The sheer amount of off field window dressing going on at the AFC is amazing at the moment.
What a load of rubbish.

Certain poster on Geelong board suggesting that a legit Port Adelaide star will request to go to Geelong also.

Certain poster on Geelong board suggesting that a legit Port Adelaide star will request to go to Geelong also.
Boak has finally decided to go...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Martin is a DFA and will be on peanuts.

I just don't think there's that many on their list that would be on big coin.

Stewart
Cameron
Holmes
Stengle
Danger? (although just signed a new contract I think and, at 34, can't imagine would be on too much)

So I fully believe that they'd have room for Smith and Oliver.

Wait he is senior assistant or coaching director? If he’s coaching director a bloke who has never coached in his own right is now overseeing our head coach? That makes no sense

You know as well as I do that he'll be the coaching director.

This is the AFC that we're talking about.

I love how they're trying to sell him as the architect to their premiership when the guy has never coached at the top level and has been at Brisbane for nearly 15 years.

This screams as a "you'll do" appointment because they couldn't find anyone better.

I seem to recall he he had a seriously bad infected foot at one point ...it was reported "öfficially" to be from a blister but that wasn't the story doing the rounds? It was widely known it was self inflicted from a self attempt at a tattoo. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer is Clayton.
Rings a bell actually although it's hard to imagine an infection like that being anything dramatic long term.

When I googled his name, a top hit was a reddit post with Lions supporters wanting him sacked, from 5 months ago. They also wanted Fagan sacked. I guess people outside a club don't really know the quality of the employees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back