Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Last edited:
How about everyone stop wetting their pants ....unkown doesn't mean inferior .....we would have spoken to Fagan, Smythe, and Noble for background info

Don't get hungup on job title, wait till a job description is released ....example: Davis could be the conduit with other line coaches, SANFL, and Development Coaches .....easing the workload off Nicks, as well as being senior assistant

We just have no idea, people are guessing, and jumping the gun
That’s a good post, coaching director may not be above head coach but director of the coaching team, coordinator in a sense, to help the senior coach. Would equally make sense and fits the “right hand man” analogy.

To his credit it sounds like Tim Silvers might have instigated it by himself.

What that says for the rest of the footy dept.......
Surely no coincidence the similarities people are making with Fagans path to hawthorn and role he then had there.

Silvers taking this from the hawks playbook, including the kind of experience seen as relevant/acceptable for the role

Top 5 were:

1. Hogan
2. Tom Green
2. Whitfield
4. Idun
5. Daniels

Given he didn't play a full season and was a regular sub I doubt he made Top 15 but that's hardly relevant
Yeah using his b&f result in trade negotiations will get us laughed at and lose all credibility

He’s not sought after for his 2024 body of work, just a portion of it in the time he was given his chances and the signs he showed when sub prior to that and the expectations for the future

If anything you’d need to isolate his voting in the games he played in full, and possibly some where he was sub and may have still polled ok as he outperformed the role (and that being in the favour of gws using that not us)

Yeah using his b&f result in trade negotiations will get us laughed at and lose all credibility

He’s not sought after for his 2024 body of work, just a portion of it in the time he was given his chances and the signs he showed when sub prior to that and the expectations for the future

If anything you’d need to isolate his voting in the games he played in full, and possibly some where he was sub and may have still polled ok as he outperformed the role (and that being in the favour of gws using that not us)

I doubt any club would ever use the B&F results anyway. Clubs have different criteria to earn points. Everything on the table would be about his future potential and where he fits into the market.

Well that’s positive.

Could be.
Or it could be that he doesn't want to make it about himself at the B&F and announce he's staying so he'll just do it quietly tomorrow instead. Who knows? Maybe he's an introverted guy and didn't want the attention.
Obviously, I'm hoping that's not the case and he used the B&F to say his final goodbyes to staff and players.

What you reckon Fagan wouldn’t have endorsed him?
I think he might well have.

After a very long tenure as an assistant, Fagan was probably very supportive of a loyal and dedicated servant seeking promotion in the coaching world. Just like any master and apprentice scenario, the master is always happy to see his junior flourish if ambitious.

Thinking slightly bigger... getting involved at AFC is potentially a sound career move just now. Nicks is now only a short term proposition and a competent new assistant/director just might find himself well placed as a replacement.

100%... imagine if your workplace had to fire 3 people each year as a minimum.
I don't know about a minimum but plenty of workplaces let shitloads of contractors go every single year. One might say that that is the nature of being a contractor. AFL footballers are contractors. They, ideally, get a contract when they can perform a role that is required and they cease getting a contract when they are no longer required.

Some contractors are more temporary than others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so what's your actual argument? Because it seems by your definition of 'never held = learning on the job=not a good candidate' means we should have poached someone doing the job. I can't really see many people in this position elsewhere. Bolton at the Pies.

Someone had to be the first to promote.
Depends on what you think Director of Coaching means - they run their eye over the coaching panel and program. They assess and move or promote people, they bring a strict top to bottom philosophy (within the senior coaches ideas) they may even give advice to the senior coach on what might work or might not work - they make sure constantly that everyone in the coaching group from senior coach to McPherson as development officer know and understand the roles they have

To me it means someone who has coached at the highest level. Imagine a line/development coach now telling a senior coach of 5 years how to suck eggs.

Thats my highest criteria. I know the field is thin but come on there should be someone available to run their eye over the coaching department

If you think its just someone who will manage all the little things that get brought up ie a conduit then wtf is Kelly doing? If its someone who will liaise with the coaching group and set up a clear on and off field plan - then thats the senior coaches role

Imagine this guy coming in and telling Burns he is no longer senior assistant

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back