Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • Gettable claiming the Peatling decision is still between three clubs (link)

Last edited:
If there was an even distribution of AFL Funds to all Clubs .....the $6M shortfall on what PORT are given, would allow us to exceed the soft cap .....and pay the tax

Instead, it gives a legup to PORT, and other Clubs

Has the Davis appointment been made by someone involved yet? e.g. Davis, Davis' manager or either club? Until we hear from one of these people it is just a rumour!!!!

Damn, GWS initially only offered him a year then 2, 3 and now 4.
Get GWS to up their offer more and more and then go to Callaghan' manager and say we have an 8 year $1.3 million/year deal there for him for end of next year. Make GWS pay up for Peatling to try and hurt their ability to retain Callaghan who would be absolutely unreal to get if it was at all possible next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just fell to my knees in a K-Mart

Paris Montreal GIF by Noé Noviant

I think it’s called waiting to see how it plays out given no one knows any details

Pretending to know all about it without any information could end up a bit embarrassing

A bit like going off the deep end when we drafted Soligo because no one had heard of him much

Patience

Surely nobody went off the deep end criticising our selection at near 40 in a draft, I'd need to see evidence because that's absolutely insane if someone did. It would be nothing at all like our decision makers AGAIN recruiting someone to a role well above what they've performed elsewhere. Even if it is as a senior assistant, it's still a role where he'll be wearing L plates. We keep doing this, over and over and over again and we continue to be poor performers. Maybe this bloke is the exception and he's going to be great and not leave at first opportunity. But he'd be the only 1 in a very long time.

I love how the news is that the Oliver to Geelong trade is going to be the most complex trade ever made.

I can just imagine how the conversation is going.

Geelong: We want him
MFC: Ok, lets talk trade compensation
Geelong: Oh we don't want to spend anything to get him, if anything what are you giving us?
MFC: What? Ok this is a dead end. Lets park it and talk about his salary
Geelong: Oh we don't want to pay him, that's on the Red and the Blue.
MFC: So you want us to give him to you and pay his salary?
Geelong: Of course, we're Geelong. That's how this works!
AFL Media: MFC stop complaining and give Oliver to Geelong, and pay his salary while you're at it!
MFC: If we sign this deal can you at least sign a statement saying we have good culture?
Geelong: No
AFL Media: Oh hell no!
MFC: Can we at least keep the pen?
Geelong: As long as its not a clicky top. I love clicky tops!

Last edited:
Surely nobody went off the deep end criticising our selection at near 40 in a draft, I'd need to see evidence because that's absolutely insane if someone did. It would be nothing at all like our decision makers AGAIN recruiting someone to a role well above what they've performed elsewhere. Even if it is as a senior assistant, it's still a role where he'll be wearing L plates. We keep doing this, over and over and over again and we continue to be poor performers. Maybe this bloke is the exception and he's going to be great and not leave at first opportunity. But he'd be the only 1 in a very long time.
A number of people wanted Arlo Draper with that pick.

No experience 😆

Come on … you’re disappointed because you’ve never heard of the guy

Let’s be honest , even the most informed on here haven’t got much clue re who the best assistant coaches are across the league

We all know about the former gun players that coach eg Nathan Buckley et Al but no one on here is picking a Phil Walsh or Chris Fagan for a prime role before they were well known as we don’t know

A bit like when there was minimal excitement for James Rahilly because no one had heard of him

Yep,, he turned out to be good, lasted with us 3 years. Next?

Yep people went off re Doedee and Soligo as hadn’t heard of them

Guilty myself re disappointed when we took Soligo , soon changed when I watched him play

Going to learn from that and see how this guy goes in the role , not even sure what the role involves yet

Why the **** would you not take it at face value? In the last couple of weeks we've announced a couple of good players who have nominated us, and while we knew they weren't going to sack Nicks, they've done the next best thing in hiring someone (hopefully more than one) who comes from a successful organisation who can steer this ship out of rocky waters. IF they get the right someone, we may even have a ready made replacement!

Has he been selected as someone who will assist Nicks to implement his vision or is he expected to challenge existing strategies and philosophies and be an agent of change? It seems that historically, the recruits into the coaching area that ruffle feathers with ideas seem to move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back