Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumor summary September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumor summary October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumor summary October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 7
  • No new rumors, although Justin Reid confirmed we'll use pick 28 on Neal-Bullen

Last edited:
28 in this draft for a guy who will be 29 when he plays is way overs. If we were getting 48 back then possibly, but not on its own.
Also keep in mind that ANB only kicked 2 more goals (9) than Murphy last year.

I get that's not his role necessarily but an ageing defensive forward that doest kick alot of goals with strong leadership. Pick 28 seems overs.

Surely if it's as simple as 28 straight it would be done by now. Hopefully there's a bit of haggling about what's coming back, not what extra is being given up.
Certainly no extras IMO. MLB list mgr did say Reidy had “been reasonable”. I think we have gone pretty hard with Dees previously with both Lever and McAdam compo as good as we could have possibly asked for

Trade wins don’t get you premiership points , sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

Play hardball like Dodoro you become hard to deal with so clubs start away.

Collingwood people want a first round pick for Noble. For Noble.

We don’t have too much so pick 28 for ANB is fine
I would love to be involved in any negotiations with you.

I get that's not his role necessarily but an ageing defensive forward that doest kick alot of goals with strong leadership. Pick 28 seems overs.
Another angle our club could have (maybe are?) exploring is to maybe try to trade our pick 28 with Geelong for their 38 and their F2 (which is every chance to be a pick close to 40 next year). Then give 38 and our F3 for ANB and out of it we have upgraded our F3 to a F2. I think there is value we could have made from pick 28 with sides keen to get up the order in this draft and Geelong may need to have a pick like that as well to secure B Smith? that is just a scenario I have wondered and it does not need to be Geelong but any of this years top sides with a later 2nd rounder. Maximise our pick value.

Yep, he's #1 for me as well.

Going to be very interesting to see what North and WC do with Pick 2 and 3. Twomey has said both are open to trading down.

Would hate for Port to gazump us again and land Draper, ala Rozee, but reckon they'll go very hard at trying to.
Kangas only a few spots though they have said…so if Tiges get 6 for Rioli (a ridiculous overspend by GC) I reckon it plays out like this,

Kangas will try and slide from 2 to 6 and get another top 20 pick from Tiges. Tiges then have pick one and two (disregarding Ashcroft) and take their 2 favoured mids. Kangas get their KPD at 6 and another later first round pick. All comes down to what extra pick Kangas will ask for

Neither Dowling or Taylor were able to dislodge Murphy during the season, what makes you think they'll be ahead of him starting 2025? They're likely the first 2 out from final round 23 to make way for Peatling and ANB. Getting Cumming into the 23 would put Jones and Bond next at risk. Pick 4 probably should find a way into the side too.
Bond stays in as the lockdown.
His balance between blanket and time to go is excellent.
Will only get better from here.

Doesnt he have to build a tank ?
He's only a year younger than Thilthorpe, 21 next month, had a preseason last year and heading into his second.

I don't know about his tank, I'd have thought the Murray boys all work super hard on fitness, he just seems more the skinny type, maybe going hard on the weights and protein?

ABN moved into the mid especially late in the season, comparison to Murphy not valid.

You see it’s posts like this is why us “negative” posters fire back and this place does end up in a shit show because it’s clappers like you that don’t understand the counter argument.

No doubt ANB is a quality player and for a club that’s contending during his remaining career, pick 28 in a deep draft would be fine. But that’s not us, we are years away and the player we picked up at 28 could form a part of our next premiership push, ANB won’t be. ANB selection is to help us win a few more games this year to improve our position and take heat off the club and nothing more, it’s not about winning a flag.

And we aren’t saying getting ANB isn’t a bad thing, it’s the price we are paying as I’ve explained above. We were told when 25 was mooted that “you bedwetters need to relax until it actually happens, it’s only a journo”. Now that it’s actually happens the argument has changed.

As it stands with the recruitment of Peatling, had we not also grabbed ANB, pick 28 would have been used to secure him so we lose it anyway. Using next years second rounder for ANB I would have been more comfortable with, so it doesn’t really matter anymore.
once again you just immediately call someone with an opinion other than your own a happy clapper. Believe it or not, somebody can understand every single point you're making and still disagree.

If you aren't one of the people arguing that pick 28 is way overs then why do you even remotely care or think that post had anything to do with you?

once again you just immediately put the bat label am opinion that runs counter to your own a happy clapper. Believe it or not, somebody can understand every single point you're making and still disagree.
Interesting given you labelling those that don’t agree with giving up pick 28 as “negative merchants” and then you follow it up with 95% of this board makes stuff up to get angry at.

And if you can understand the points being made why you labeling those as “negative merchants”

Bit of pot kettle black don’t you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people on here overestimate the value of draft picks and underestimate what is needed to give up in a trade for a proven best 18 player at a strong club. It’s a tale as old as time on here.

The value of draft picks is shown quite clearly through the history of trades.

Pick 28 is certainly on the higher end of picks traded for a player of Neal-Bullen's age and calibre

ABN moved into the mid especially late in the season, comparison to Murphy not vali
How is it not valid. Is he not being recruited to take over that role?

If you take last.season as an anomaly and look at career averages ANB actually scores even less than Murphy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241007_120942_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20241007_120942_AFL.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20241007_120918_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20241007_120918_AFL.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 6
ANB is 29 before our season starts. What is the likelihood that he plays in a premiership squad let alone a finals team. Pick 28 could be anything, could work something to trade up for Dodson. Everyone raves on about trading in a ruck, if it's that easy why haven't we done it already....
Why haven't we done it already? Because we have ROB who rucks pretty much all of every game, and Strachan as a ready-to-go backup. They haven't seen the need.

Now ROB & Strachan are rapidly approaching the ends of their careers, so recruiting their replacements is becoming imperative.

Ok so Reid was just asked if we would be looking to replace Himmelberg and he said Murray in the mid season draft was the replacement.

Lots of hard work this pre season for Murray to meet that opportunity, I'd think.
I'm not unhappy if the order is Turray > Borlase >>>>>>>> Earth burned to a cinder >>>>> Burgess.

28 in this draft for a guy who will be 29 when he plays is way overs. If we were getting 48 back then possibly, but not on its own.
It's very mild overs. A late pick back for points would be better from our end.

It probably gets you the 32nd best player in the draft.

We can be confident we'll get maybe 70 good games from ANB. There's a chance that we get something a lot better from that pick, but it's more likely that we don't

Absolutely. Getting 48 would make a huge difference. We could then bundle picks to get Brisbanes F2, which they need for points, and we would then have 2 F2’s which would allow us to give one for Peatling and still be able to use our F1 this year.

Meekly rolling over and giving up a prime pick for a guy that to me plays the same position as Pedlar, who we gave a top 10 pick for, is very disappointing.
And what point is there in using our F1 this year? We only have 2 list vacancies, and we certainly won't need to use our F1 to match a Welsh bid.

It's very mild overs. A late pick back for points would be better from our end.

It probably gets you the 32nd best player in the draft.

We can be confident we'll get maybe 70 good games from ANB. There's a chance that we get something a lot better from that pick, but it's more likely that we don't
We’ve actually had a very good off season for a player acquisition perspective, so people are just nitpicking anything for a debate.

Hearing Scott Lucas talk about Liam Reidy at Freo, stuck behind Jackson and Darcy and is already 24. Looked decent in a couple of games this year, out of contract next year (sounds like no chance of moving now, but next year is open). Should we be targeting him as the ROB replacement?
From that description he sound more like a Strachan replacement. By all accounts Adelaide are chasing Essendon's Sam Draper as a 2025 FA, as the ROB replacement.

Personally, I think Draper is a big downgrade on ROB, but that's what the club appears to be intent on doing.

From that description he sound more like a Strachan replacement. By all accounts Adelaide are chasing Essendon's Sam Draper as a 2025 FA, as the ROB replacement.

Personally, I think Draper is a big downgrade on ROB, but that's what the club appears to be intent on doing.
Liam Reidy can be a number one ruck and is better than Strachan. If we don’t offer him that opportunity, another club will. No way he’s sitting behind the two highest players at the club.

Hearing Scott Lucas talk about Liam Reidy at Freo, stuck behind Jackson and Darcy and is already 24. Looked decent in a couple of games this year, out of contract next year (sounds like no chance of moving now, but next year is open). Should we be targeting him as the ROB replacement?

Wish we found a way to get Ned Moyle out of the suns this year. Looks like Reidy had a half decent season in the WAFL this year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back