Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)

Last edited:
Can't really blame him, its an offer that would be exceptionally difficult to turn down.
Yep, once we heard Blues CEO and an AFL role were available he was never coming to us. Silvers and Kelly both effectively said that also in recent interviews.

Wonder if anyone else on our radar if Balme is not well enough to take up the role..

Yep, once we heard Blues CEO and an AFL role were available he was never coming to us. Silvers and Kelly both effectively said that also in recent interviews.

Wonder if anyone else on our radar if Balme is not well enough to take up the role..
According to Olsen, Murray Davis is in that role.

That’s why we looked at supplementing the footy department to free the senior coach up. We’ve talked for a while about bringing an additional person in whether it’s a Neil Balme or Graham Wright or Murray Davis. Were we underdone before? That could be the answer. But when you look at making a change, it takes some time. You can’t snap your fingers and put them in place because people have got other commitments.

Last edited:
Imagine having to go out and get a real job. Obviously there are players that prepare of that as their AFL careers wind down, then there are some that are so delusional they think they are playing great footy and will go on indefinitely.

Last edited:
Would it be possible on the night for Richmond to want to move up, maybe from 6 to 4, as has been reported previously. It would be a risk but if they offered to switch F1’s to do it we would still get a good mid this year and probably have pick 1 next year.
Logistics aside, North could just take Tauru and keep their future first, much simpler.

North would need much more to slide back.

Logistics aside, North could just take Tauru and keep their future first, much simpler.

North would need much more to slide back.
I wasn’t actually talking about North in this scenario, just us and Richmond.

The idea is we slide back to 6 from 4 so Richmond can get the 2 mids they apparently covet, and we swap F1’s to do it. They get pick 1 and 4 and we get their F1 which in all likelihood gets us Sharp next year. If we thing a player we want will be there at 6 then it could be worth the risk.

Depends how highly we rate Sharp I suppose.

Mad Dog went to coach at Hawthorn and seems to be working his way up. That's how you do it.

If a bloke says he's considering doing media, this suggests to me that unlike Mad Dog, he doesn't have the hunger.

I agree with you.

Media and coaching are much harder roles and competitive than alot of ex footballers realise.

Unless you are a Dangerfield type the Media roles can take a while to work your way into. In most cases it's really more side work or extra money.

Being an assistant or development coach at an AFL club is very time consuming and demanding with tight turn arounds. Also it doesn't pay great and not alot of job security. Like the media there are always casual roles around but they don't pay great.

SEN... Really?
If it was between Rowey & the Andy Maher/Gazey Drive Time Show..I know which I'd prefer. & who of those is more of a clown (with little to no footy intellect)
Have to agree here .....I can't even listen to Maher / Gazey ....mind numbing boring

I wasn’t actually talking about North in this scenario, just us and Richmond.

The idea is we slide back to 6 from 4 so Richmond can get the 2 mids they apparently covet, and we swap F1’s to do it. They get pick 1 and 4 and we get their F1 which in all likelihood gets us Sharp next year. If we thing a player we want will be there at 6 then it could be worth the risk.

Depends how highly we rate Sharp I suppose.
Ahh sorry, yes that would be a good deal, as long as we still get our mid.

If North did get Tauru and Draper slid, Richmond wanted Smith - then who knows?

It would be critical to know who Melbourne were looking at.

I'd back us to finish above Richmond next year, but if I was Richmond I wouldn't do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh sorry, yes that would be a good deal, as long as we still get our mid.

If North did get Tauru and Draper slid, Richmond wanted Smith - then who knows?

It would be critical to know who Melbourne were looking at.

I'd back us to finish above Richmond next year, but if I was Richmond I wouldn't do it.
Richmond are in full rebuild and giving up 3 of their best 5 on top of a spoon year so they would be odds on to finish last. I agree Richmond shouldn’t do it but there has been some chatter from Cal Twomey about it I think. From memory it was to get FOS and Lalor. Probably WC Draper and North Tauru so yes it would be either Jagga Smith or Langford. Still potentially a bloody good player and Sharp next year.

That Tasmania inclusion is going to hurt which ever clubs are at our end of the ladder when that time comes, thats for sure.
Which is why we needed to offload a few more players and try and find some gems now

Brekkie with Kane, Kingy, Gary - and Tim (now finished up)
Whatley
Dwayne

Just completely shits all over Rowey. No one can seriously question this.

Re Gazeys show, I have never listened but he is a smart and entertaining bloke in general. Just not an AFL expert
I was really just comparing Roweys show with SENs drive time product (from the biggest footy market in Australia)
which I personally find neither informative nor funny.
But each to their own... you lost me at Derwayne too by the way. That show is a train wreck & never news-worthy...unless you're in Werribee...and in the market for a KIA!

According to Olsen, Murray Davis is in that role.

That’s why we looked at supplementing the footy department to free the senior coach up. We’ve talked for a while about bringing an additional person in whether it’s a Neil Balme or Graham Wright or Murray Davis. Were we underdone before? That could be the answer. But when you look at making a change, it takes some time. You can’t snap your fingers and put them in place because people have got other commitments.
One of these is not like the others

Richmond are in full rebuild and giving up 3 of their best 5 on top of a spoon year so they would be odds on to finish last. I agree Richmond shouldn’t do it but there has been some chatter from Cal Twomey about it I think. From memory it was to get FOS and Lalor. Probably WC Draper and North Tauru so yes it would be either Jagga Smith or Langford. Still potentially a bloody good player and Sharp next year.
And we would get to have a "deathriding richmond" thread to keep us entertained.

If Smith dropped down to us there could be a lot of clubs offering a future first and 2024 first to get that pick, including Richmond, Essendon, possibly St Kilda with 2 x picks this year?

One of these is not like the others
Probably because we weren't looking at them for the same role.

Balme/Wright would have been hired for a position above Nicks. Davis was hired for a position either below Nicks, or off to the side and slightly below Nicks, essentially a glorified Senior Assistant.

My reading (and I could be wrong) is that they were looking at getting Wright AND Davis, not Wright OR Davis. Unfortunately, we missed out on getting Wright, probably because nobody wants to live or work in Adelaide (the city).

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back