Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 152 84.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The young powa players have had enough of Butters going ape shit at them on the field but they wont say anything because Kern loves Butters so much.

Finlayson is the only one who has stood up to him. It's well known that Finlayson & Butters can't stand each other .
if Hinkley stays then Butters isn't going anywhere

unless they are also looking for a new coach then Butters also will be out the door

Most overated underrated player in the comp. He can't defend but good with ball in hand. I don't think he is any better than Smith at his best and at 30 I wouldn't be offering him a long deal. If Port got a good trade offer, they should take it.
If Port trade him, they’ll realize how reliant they are on him. I rate Houston close to their best player and best in the comp in his role.

Last edited:
Lethlean owns all the workings for that one by memory

'Purple' was the media mouthpiece for that, "Brad Crouch is simply not worth pick 3!" This was on repeat from him all day, every day for days on end leading up to the compensation being announced.
I cannot think of any other player's worth, before or since, ever being 'valued' by the media.

The original deal was $4m over 5 years. But the Aints were 'encouraged' to restructure the deal to include a back-ended trigger. Triggers are not part of the formula.
I recall the media was reporting band 1 compensation for a while and then the Saints did a dirty on us at the last minute with a 5th year trigger clause so likely $600K for 4 years which resulted in a band 3 compensation and an easy 5th year trigger clause of $1.6M. The CBA will significantly increase next year but that's still quite a chunk of the cap for a player who seems to be on the outer so won't play much in his last year.

Given he seems like an absolute twat, Port would be smart to offload him this year.

If St Kilda get band 1 for Battle, their 2 x first rounders would be the starting price. Butters and Saints would be a perfect match and Port have kickstarted their rebuild.

Of course, Port are not smart.
It will all come down to the new coach. If he gets the gig because he convinces Koch he can take them to a flag, then he’s not gonna trade out their best player under contract.

If the new coach though wins the job on the basis of a long term approach, then they may accept the challenge of trading Bitters out to restock. But Port and Koch have shown they don’t have the stomach for a rebuild so that’s unlikely.

The new coach is constantly going to be compared to darling Ken by his mates in the media so no one’s gonna want that gig if the plan is to drop back and restock with top draft picks again.

The young powa players have had enough of Butters going ape shit at them on the field but they wont say anything because Kern loves Butters so much.

Finlayson is the only one who has stood up to him. It's well known that Finlayson & Butters can't stand each other .
Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Its all falling apart down at Alberton

'Purple' was the media mouthpiece for that, "Brad Crouch is simply not worth pick 3!" This was on repeat from him all day, every day for days on end leading up to the compensation being announced.
I cannot think of any other player's worth, before or since, ever being 'valued' by the media.

At the time Brad Crouch wasn't worth a contract to guarantee a first round pick, so all that discussion was right.

The issue is that guys like Ben McKay and Josh Battle are not worth first rounders either

I'm still curious to learn more about that rumor of how Brad Crouch's manager (?) stuffed something up which hurt his value. Can't remember who claimed that here

That would be right, an AFL favourite

Surely you can’t see conspiracy there, the rules regarding what contract components are included in the calculations is clear and readily available. It’s stock standard list management to minimise the guaranteed portion, especially over a long term for a player with a considerable injury history. And at least 1 strike. Ultimately they’re only required to present a structure that the player will accept. And they knew we’d washed our hands of him, so once they’d outbid any other suitors, they knew he was theirs.

But he wasn’t worth that, just like nearly every other band 1 player. And in the end the $750k contract included performance triggers that were never going to be included under the published rules.

Brad’s contract only ever ended up around the $600k-$650k mark though. Wasn’t it band 3 in the end? If the talk was that he was going to get $850k-$900k then you could claim reporting bias.
They were pumping the stories out before the offer was clear.
The offer was also manipulated to ensure a lower band.
It was an orchestrated effort to ensure we didn’t get a gift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do but I don't see how we could fit Perryman, Cumming and pick 5 without cutting young prospects whose gmetime and development should be prioritised over Perryman.
Murphy, Mchenry and Jones have all played 10+ games this year. These are the guys that will start getting pushed out the side if we bring more talent in.

I do but I don't see how we could fit Perryman, Cumming and pick 5 without cutting young prospects whose gmetime and development should be prioritised over Perryman.
Well we’re not getting both of them , we’ll be very lucky to get one of them…but if we did, the idea would be to play our best team, win games and make finals. That’s what we prioritise.

Murphy, Mchenry and Jones have all played 10+ games this year. These are the guys that will start getting pushed out the side if we bring more talent in.
I'm hoping McHenry is gone this year

Murphy (contract expires 2025) next year.

Jones.... his still got 2 years left so maybe a trade next year if he does not improve and perform better.

At the time Brad Crouch wasn't worth a contract to guarantee a first round pick, so all that discussion was right.

The issue is that guys like Ben McKay and Josh Battle are not worth first rounders either

I'm still curious to learn more about that rumor of how Brad Crouch's manager (?) stuffed something up which hurt his value. Can't remember who claimed that here

When we were made to look like fools there was the rumour that the AFL vetoed a trade with Gold Coast the year prior due to Brad's off-field issues. Doesn't surprise that another rumour was started blaming his manager. Anything to divert attention away from the fact that we made it obvious that we washed our hands of him and totally misunderstood the RFA process. A lodged RFA contract needs to beat 16 other clubs and then needs to ensure that there's enough in it to eliminate the other club matching. St Kilda weren't required to do that, they only had to win the initial tender process.

Fingers crossed but you know 10 + 10 + 10 + = experience

North had the pick immediately after us - that’s why

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Didn’t Brad get caught buying coke? That probably hurt his value late

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They were pumping the stories out before the offer was clear.
The offer was also manipulated to ensure a lower band.
It was an orchestrated effort to ensure we didn’t get a gift.

Why is Saint Kilda structuring an offer that mitigates their risk whilst satisfying the player and beating opponents described as, "manipulated to ensure a lower band". Surely if you win the player's signature with $650k guaranteed + $150k performance based then you do that rather than just offer up $800k fixed. It's list management 101, reduce risk to the maximum extent that you can. It's like saying that we bid on father sons/academy players to force other clubs to pay more. We don't, we bid on them because they're next in our talent order. Another club having to cough up more draft collateral is a fringe benefit, but it's not why we bid. Same with Saints and Brad's contract, sure, having a portion of it subject to performance triggers does potentially drop the compo down a band or 2, but it's absolutely not the reason that they structured the contract the way they did. Especially when you consider that it would have made it more palatable for us to match the offer. Had they thought there was any risk of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back