Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all to be honest.

The Crouch situation was completed different as he was a restricted free agent. Effectively he could choose where to go and agree a contract and our 3 options were:

1. Let him go and accept AFL compensation
2. Match the contract and keep him as an unhappy player
3. Match the contract and force St.Kilda to trade with us if they want him that bad.

We had very little leverage to begin with (similar to Dangerfield). The way free agency is set up is 100% in the favor of the player leaving and his new team.

This is a much different situation.

In my opinion there will be two major factors that will dictate the Luko trade:

1. Does Luko nominate one team he wants to go to.

If he does, this will heavily reduce Gold Coasts leverage. If Luko is happy to go to a Melbourne Club and both Adelaide clubs then Gold Coast can shop him around and get the best deal.

2. How desperate are Gold Coast to move away from the contract and what do they want:

I feel like Gold Coast are in a weird position with what they will be willing to accept from a trade. With Dimma there - I dont think they have any interest in draft picks unless its then on sold to bring in a best 22 player. Also - How tight is their cap situation and what players are they a chance to bring in this year?

At this stage - I think it will be relatively quick and easy to be honest. I think this is going to be one of those situations where Gold Coast say he is worth a top 10 pick leading into trade week with Adelaide baulking at it. Then 3 days in we give up a future 1st and there are some pick swaps (2nd/3rd rounds) and Luko becomes a Crow.
Players who request a trade have always nominated a single club they wish to go to. It is then up to their current club to negotiate with the player’s chosen club.

I can’t recall any player stating something like ‘I wish to go to Victoria, any club will do’ and the club raffling off for the best offer.

That quote in your post was from 2019

Its well documented neither family are big fans of how their kids were handled, but that only feeds in to the general feeling the Luko's have on the Crows.

At the beginning of the year, his old man told me directly that Luko wouldnt be coming home and if he did it wouldnt be to AFC. But that was when things were still on his terms. He loves it up there and at that stage he was a required player. Interestingly, I was told that it did take him the pre season to buy in to Hardwick's "ways" and mantras. Perhaps Dimma noted that and they just dont get along. Jack is certainly not playing for him by the looks and Dimma doesnt seem to rate him.

So I dont know now, the leverage has shifted and now GC look like they want him out. He will still have to agree to a trade but he'll have to go somewhere and it may not be to his preference, which puts us in the frame I suppose. It will be interesting to see if there is more than one suitor.
If Luko genuinely wants to go to Port instead of us, they'll easily be able to get the draft capital required.

Its well documented neither family are big fans of how their kids were handled, but that only feeds in to the general feeling the Luko's have on the Crows.

At the beginning of the year, his old man told me directly that Luko wouldnt be coming home and if he did it wouldnt be to AFC. But that was when things were still on his terms. He loves it up there and at that stage he was a required player. Interestingly, I was told that it did take him the pre season to buy in to Hardwick's "ways" and mantras. Perhaps Dimma noted that and they just dont get along. Jack is certainly not playing for him by the looks and Dimma doesnt seem to rate him.

So I dont know now, the leverage has shifted and now GC look like they want him out. He will still have to agree to a trade but he'll have to go somewhere and it may not be to his preference, which puts us in the frame I suppose. It will be interesting to see if there is more than one suitor.
The club were ultimately proven right on Jarman and both Edwards boys so if Luko’s dad wants to have a cry about it while his son pisses his career away by thinking he’s better than a triple premiership coach / dual premiership player, then he’s not doing his son a great service.

Maybe Jack should grow a pair.

If Luko genuinely wants to go to Port instead of us, they'll easily be able to get the draft capital required.
I think he'd fit in to both clubs as a third tall/up and back forward. I reckon Port will look at him if he's on the market.

I don't think GC are being smart by banishing him, if that's what they're doing. He hasnt had a great season, but they are tanking his value by indicating they dont want him. I doubt they need the salary dump, seems more like Dimma having a spit.

I wouldnt want to go near a first round pick for him, but a second would be ok. If Port are involved I reckon thats where he ends up.

Players who request a trade have always nominated a single club they wish to go to. It is then up to their current club to negotiate with the player’s chosen club.

I can’t recall any player stating something like ‘I wish to go to Victoria, any club will do’ and the club raffling off for the best offer.

The timing of it is what matters. For instance - with Danger it was always going to be Geelong and never anyone else. It severely limited our ability to negotiate the best deal.

Lukos agent right now is working his ass off and I think only he and Luko truly know if he wants to go to just one club or is open to move anywhere and make the most money.

Guarantee he is meeting with all clubs and seeing what $$$ is available - whether that is to use as leverage or is genuine we just dont know.

By the time that player has nominated the club they want to go to you can guarantee the contract is already 90%+ formalized. Then all that is left is for the 2 clubs to work out a deal. Its a 2 step process.

The club were ultimately proven right on Jarman and both Edwards boys so if Luko’s dad wants to have a cry about it while his son pisses his career away by thinking he’s better than a triple premiership coach / dual premiership player, then he’s not doing his son a great service.

Yeah thats pretty harsh and not really how it is. There are many companies I wont deal with because of the experience of others. One or two Ive ended up trying out with good results. You can have an impression of a place that doesnt imply you not "having a pair".

I remember moving to the northern suburbs for a while after having lived south all my life and having to find a club to play footy for. I ended up playing for Para Hills, having previously despised them. They ended up being some of the most enjoyable times of any club Ive ever been with. But, prior to me going there out of necessity, if you'd have asked me, I would have said I would never play there.

The club may have been "right" about Ben J and Jackson E and rightish about Luke E, but that doesnt mean they handled those lads well, or the families during their draft years. I dont know much about those circumstances but the little I do know tells me they are probably justified in not rating the administration of the club. Lets face it, neither do we. So you can probably hold your fire a bit about telling blokes to grow a pair. Do you reckon Dan Curtin's folks are enamored with the place at the moment?

Last edited:

Exactly. Thats why I asked if anything changed since 2019.

Wasn't doubting you - just finding out what changed (and what I missed).

Interesting. I guess that what changed since 2019 when you said if he came home he came to us.

Completely understand if that was just your opinion at the time and your relationship with Luko SNR developed after it.

It seems he is on the outer. The media has been reporting it all year - so you can't help but think with his unhappy move to the backline, he isnt too happy.

I think there will be plenty of suitors for him. He is still only 23 and the talent pool in AFL with 18 teams is shallow at best.

Would you want your son to play for the Crows? Gotta say after the past 7 years - I wouldn't (I mean I stupidly would because I love this club and have since its inception, but if I was thinking with my head I wouldn't).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The timing of it is what matters. For instance - with Danger it was always going to be Geelong and never anyone else. It severely limited our ability to negotiate the best deal.

Lukos agent right now is working his ass off and I think only he and Luko truly know if he wants to go to just one club or is open to move anywhere and make the most money.

Guarantee he is meeting with all clubs and seeing what $$$ is available - whether that is to use as leverage or is genuine we just dont know.

By the time that player has nominated the club they want to go to you can guarantee the contract is already 90%+ formalized. Then all that is left is for the 2 clubs to work out a deal. Its a 2 step process.
Lukosius can meet with all 17 other clubs if he likes. He can then pick whichever club overs him the most money or whatever contract tickles his fancy. The point is he will eventually make a decision on one club and the fact that he has met with 16 others does not advantage the Suns at all.

You contradict yourself in your first and last paragraph. ‘Danger was always going to be Geelong and that limited Adelaide’s ability to negotiate the best deal’. Negotiate with who? Other clubs that he wouldn’t be going to as he chose Geelong?

Yep, could only be one post from Trigger claiming they would also get Gawn and Petracca and would only need to move Soldo and Wines to get the capital to make it happen
What? Merely made the point they have a great record of getting deals done. Cumming and Perryman are free agents. Houston will net them a very good draft hand. It’s very plausible they have a very productive off-season.

Port will get it done if it’s a need
Depends, Perryman on big money and Cummings possibly, probably not much coin left for Lukos 2 year existing contract, and out bidding Adelaide if they/ we are putting a few more years on the contract (which he should ask for given his soft trajectory to be a elite).

Lukosius can meet with all 17 other clubs if he likes. He can then pick whichever club overs him the most money or whatever contract tickles his fancy. The point is he will eventually make a decision on one club and the fact that he has met with 16 others does not advantage the Suns at all.

You are taking the wrong viewpoint that when we hear news that he has picked a club - that thats when negotiations have begum.

By the time Luko declares a club - these negotiations have already taken place and been locked in.

Right now is when the discussions are being had and Gold Coasts leverage is 100% determined by whether Luko is willing to explore multiple clubs or just the one.

You contradict yourself in your first and last paragraph. ‘Danger was always going to be Geelong and that limited Adelaide’s ability to negotiate the best deal’. Negotiate with who? Other clubs that he wouldn’t be going to as he chose Geelong?

I am confused. It makes sense to me. ‘Danger was always going to be Geelong and that limited Adelaide’s ability to negotiate the best deal’ is a true statement.

Adelaides negotiation was limited because we only had the one club we could negotiate with. If Danger said I want to just end up in Melbourne and was happy to go to multiple clubs - then we have a lot more bargaining power.

Would you want your son to play for the Crows? Gotta say after the past 7 years - I wouldn't (I mean I stupidly would because I love this club and have since its inception, but if I was thinking with my head I wouldn't).
I would want him to play for the club that gave him the best deal and opportunity. And not be swayed because I’m mates with another dad who is shitty that his park league son wasn’t treated like an Ablett in their dealings with the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back