Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 164 82.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They traded pick 5 for Rankine who they were very vocal about not being a midfielder because he hit their target of being a 22-26 year old who was an "elite talent".

What makes you say they categorically won't do it when they've been quite vocal about wanting to follow the same path again?
They were very vocal about him not being a midfielder, were they?

"The Crows are set to not only use him as a forward but also plan to unleash him in the midfield."

LITERALLY the very day we traded for him, FFS.

We gave up pick 5 for someone who is close to our best player. That's the kind of trade you SHOULD do.

"The Crows are set to not only use him as a forward but also plan to unleash him in the midfield."

We gave up pick 5 for someone who is close to our best player. That's the kind of trade you SHOULD do.
Our football director did say earlier this year that Rankine is NOT a midfielder.

Our football director did say earlier this year that Rankine is NOT a midfielder.
Do you mean Ricciuto? They guy who said this earlier this year:

“They’ll have bursts from (Izak) Rankine and (Josh) Rachele through there as well – I’d say their midfield is looking pretty good at the moment.”

He said that prior to our Showdown win.

That's not a club quote though, but confirms they never saw him as a permanent midfielder.

You can go back to 2023 with them talking about Rankine in the middle, they were never planning him to be a full time mid and even when they talked about it they showed very little desire to actually put it in action.

“There’s some talent there, some very good ball use, and all three of those players are exceptionally clean at ground level too,” Burns said, as he confirmed the Rachele-Rankine one-two punch was part of their 2023 plans

They then went and gave Tyler Brown more midfield time in 2023 than Rankine.

"Adelaide assistant coach Nathan Van Berlo says Izak Rankine midfield time is set to be a "week to week" balance
That was about the best they could muster this pre-season on him. It wasn't until he went 0-4 that hey finally relented on him in there. And that last 2 weeks before they cut his numbers way back down again because most of the minutes go to Crouch, Laird, Dawson and Soligo.

They've always planned for him to be a supplemental piece of the midfield who takes some left over minutes, not a prime piece of the midfield group. It's only through sheer desperation they upped his minutes there.

Maybe. I don't think Nicks changed as many things as people would like to believe. I think the lack of cattle has hurt - Tex had an all-time season last year, and if you reduce his impact then we would have done drastically worse.
Suggest you re-watch our 1st month of football as obvious game plan change to slow down the play.

Maybe. I don't think Nicks changed as many things as people would like to believe. I think the lack of cattle has hurt - Tex had an all-time season last year, and if you reduce his impact then we would have done drastically worse.
Change of line coach has hurt us

Going with Burns is a stop gap and not Burns forte - given the rumour about the Collingwood game - along with the eye test of disfunctionality - its not just 2023 Tex going missing , there is some disconnect

Sure, they need and will get more minutes.

But it's pretty obvious what Berry offers. It's not good enough, we've seen it. It's Laird but getting less of the ball.

Dowling? He absolutely should get more opportunities. But he was a late pick for a reason, he's not a saviour.

The player I'm really disappointed in is Pedlar. This should be his year, but he seemed unfit. He needs to work harder to transform his tank.

I disagree with Berry. I’m not saying he’s going to be in the team in the next few years or he’s going to be a star. But he’s been getting inconsistent opportunities in the team. That game against Carlton has shown he has something imo.

Dowling, I can’t comment as he’s only played the one game.

Pedlar does need to do more to do be a regular that I can agree with. If he can work on his fitness in the offseason along with his disposal I’d like to see him have stints in the midfield next year

My gut feel is we may try and trade with a team like Freo who have multiple 1sts and split our pick for 2. So 4 for 13 + 15, 1 goes to Melbourne for Petty and the either for Welsh or for another player to bring in via trade (and we trade a few fringe guys for later picks to bundle together for Welsh).
If you have pick 4, you don't trade it if you're in the position the Adelaide footy club is in. Unless it's for a 20-23 year old potential star. Take it to the draft and recruit the best talent.Tasmania coming in 2027 need to stock up on the draft prior to that. Adelaide need to improve their list through the draft period.

The performance of our forward line this year v last year is stark.

Also, our defence has stood up well this year despite plenty of injuries
This is the finishing position for the teams Burns has coached. As an assistant he’s not entirely to blame but this is not a great record.

West Coast:
2009 - 11th
2010 - 16th
2011 - 4th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 13th

Collingwood:
2014 - 11th
2015 - 12th
2016 - 12th
2017 - 13th

Hawthorn:
2018 - 4th
2019 - 9th
2020 - 15th

Adelaide:
2021 - 15th
2022 - 14th
2023 - 10th

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have given up pick 1 or 2 for this gun.

I can remember back when my mate had a 64, tape drive, and we played "Ghostbusters"...this was when the original came out...almost at the same time as Freddy Mercury. Anyways, 15 minutes waiting for 1 minutes play, then 15 minutes waiting for another minutes play.

Guided my shagging method ever since

Impossible mission was 20+ minutes load time on the C-64 tape. I can still hear the echoing footsteps down the empty corridors! Ahhh memories.

Impossible mission was 20+ minutes load time on the C-64 tape. I can still hear the echoing footsteps down the empty corridors! Ahhh memories.
Stay a while...

No rumours, but in the speculation side…

How we collectively feeling about:
  • Draper
  • Oliver
  • Petty
  • Welsh

If we have a chance to get Draper and don’t, I’ll be reconsidering my involvement with this sporting establishment.

I’d target Oliver over Petty … But neither over a younger version like LDU.

Petty you take as a free agent when that rolls around.

Welsh you hope slips (as he should) and we get him for chump change.

This is the finishing position for the teams Burns has coached. As an assistant he’s not entirely to blame but this is not a great record.

West Coast:
2008 - 15th
2009 - 11th
2010 - 16th
2011 - 4th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 13th

Collingwood:
2014 - 11th
2015 - 12th
2016 - 12th
2017 - 13th

Hawthorn:
2018 - 4th
2019 - 9th
2020 - 15th

Adelaide:
2021 - 15th
2022 - 14th
2023 - 10th
Wow he has only made finals 3 out of 16 seasons 😳

• Draper
  • Oliver
  • Petty
  • Welsh

If we have a chance to get Draper and don’t, I’ll be reconsidering my involvement with this sporting establishment.

Petty - No, just no. Jesus hasn't anyone been watching.

Suggest you re-watch our 1st month of football as obvious game plan change to slow down the play.
Even last Thursday night against Richmond, we were 22 points down deep into the 3rd quarter and got the ball off them with a mark around centre half back. The crowd instinct was to "go". Sholl and Laird, both upfield of the player who took the mark, did the old "steady hands" thing to slow down play. It was like it was a mindset of better to be 22 points down than 28 points down instead of thinking here's a chance to be another goal closer. I could understand doing that if we were 22 points up, but not in the position we were in. It summed up our mindset.

• Draper
  • Oliver
  • Petty
  • Welsh

Sorry are you talking about Sid Draper? That the only Draper I want to see on our list.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's not what a dearly departed and highly respected poster Kristof said though. He was very strong on 5 being waaaaay too much for a player like Rankine.

B0A621E2-D97B-4306-B396-CD07AB362E4A.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back