Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 163 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, here is a comparison on stats this year between Borlase and a guy thats played every game in a key defensive post, not 3rd man up for the side that sits top 2 in the league. That defender is slightly taller by 3 cms but slighter of build strengthwise

Great comparison, here are a few more stats on 1 on 1s as well which are almost identical stats
1725498081232.png

Great comparison, here are a few more stats on 1 on 1s as well which are almost identical stats
View attachment 2100982
So who would Zerk-Thatcher replace of our 3 KPD's Murray, Butts or Keane in our best 22, or even bring Josh Worrell into that discussion?

Certainly wouldn't replace any of them if I was a selector.

So who would Zerk-Thatcher replace of our 3 KPD's Murray, Butts or Keane in our best 22, or even bring Josh Worrell into that discussion?

Certainly wouldn't replace any of them if I was a selector.
Maybe I've misread this. I don't rate BZT as a best 22 player but as a squad player he would be handy and that's what Borlase is. But no doubt cheaper. We are well stocked for key defenders which is a great position to be in. no point in chuking Borlase out now. Ideally would need to draft another KPD to cover him so won't result in another list spot?

This might sound harsh and cruel, but I don't really care how delisted players are told they aren't part of the future.

I want all our effort to be focused on those who are part of the team or those we want to bring in.

Id much rather we have a reputation of prioritising a winning (current) team than being nice to those in exit.
There's no reason why you can't be both.

Our team has some very identifiable weaknesses - but Luko doesn't fill any of them. We're desperately short of quality midfielders, and we're also in dire need of a ruck successor to ROB. Luko plays one of the few positions where we do have strength already.

If we're going to spend valuable draft resources, and a large proportion of our salary cap, on a player - then that player better damn well improve our best 22. I am yet to see any evidence suggesting that this will be the case for Luko.

That's a different argument.

Do we need quality midfielders? Yes.
If we got Lukosius, would he "make it" in to our team? Of course he would.

That's a different argument.

Do we need quality midfielders? Yes.
If we got Lukosius, would he "make it" in to our team? Of course he would.
Does he improve our team to the tune of $1M per year?

He's a player who has been repeatedly dropped from the team which finished 2 positions above us on the ladder. To mis-quote the old Fabio ad: "I can't believe he's not butter".

Your argument mocks the statement that our team is "stacked", which is fair enough given the season we've just witnessed. However, it's an over-simplistic way of looking at things. There are areas where our team is strong, and areas where it is very very weak. We need to be focusing our efforts on improving the areas of weakness - and Luko just doesn't fit this criteria.

Maybe I've misread this. I don't rate BZT as a best 22 player but as a squad player he would be handy and that's what Borlase is. But no doubt cheaper. We are well stocked for key defenders which is a great position to be in. no point in chuking Borlase out now. Ideally would need to draft another KPD to cover him so won't result in another list spot?
No but a player like say Clancy Dennis or Jamers Barrat who will both likely be had late in this draft could very well be a best 22 players in the not too distant future?

Does he improve our team to the tune of $1M per year?

He's a player who has been repeatedly dropped from the team which finished 2 positions above us on the ladder. To mis-quote the old Fabio ad: "I can't believe he's not butter".

Your argument mocks the statement that our team is "stacked", which is fair enough given the season we've just witnessed. However, it's an over-simplistic way of looking at things. There are areas where our team is strong, and areas where it is very very weak. We need to be focusing our efforts on improving the areas of weakness - and Luko just doesn't fit this criteria.

You're overthinking it.

I was mocking people who thought we wouldn't be able to squeeze Lukosius in to our team, not what he's worth in a trade or in cap. He would comfortably be in our team if we had him. We're 15th and our squad is bog average 😂

You're overthinking it.

I was mocking people who thought we wouldn't be able to squeeze Lukosius in to our team. He would comfortably be in our team if we had him. We're 15th and our squad is bog average 😂
I don't agree that "he would comfortably be in our team if we had him" at all.

Stating that we're 15th and bog average is true - but it's not evidence that Luko would find a position in our best 22. This is just further over-simplification, and a failure to think things through properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No but a player like say Clancy Dennis or Jamers Barrat who will both likely be had late in this draft could very well be a best 22 players in the not too distant future?
You know that draft space more than most. I have no idea on all of that. I can see merit in keeping Borlase but wish we had less mids so we could have both

This might sound harsh and cruel, but I don't really care how delisted players are told they aren't part of the future.

I want all our effort to be focused on those who are part of the team or those we want to bring in.

Id much rather we have a reputation of prioritising a winning (current) team than being nice to those in exit.
It's not really hard to do do it well though. Like, it's minimum chips to have a conversation.

Yeah he is great depth especially given Butts always seems to get an injury at some point. Our list squeeze isn't to do with KPD it's because we have about 85 mids
Kind of why I'm not sure why we'd resign Keane and Borlase.

Surely first choice is Butts and Murray... so having two of them squeezed into the SANFL seems... odd.

Stating that we're 15th and bog average is true - but it's not evidence that Luko would find a position in our best 22. This is just further over-simplification, and a failure to think things through properly.
Say wat!!

Of course Lukosius would be best 22 in our team, he's versatile and one of the best kicks in the competition.

Have a look at the talent level Dimma has at his disposal compared to us for starters.

15 1st round picks on their list this season and several others that would have been 1st rounders if available to other clubs.

Say wat!!

Of course Lukosius would be best 22 in our team, he's versatile and one of the best kicks in the competition.

Have a look at the talent level Dimma has at his disposal compred to us for starters.

15 1st round picks on their list and several others that would have been 1st rounders if available to other clubs.
... all that talent, and they still only managed to finish 13th on the ladder.

Any player who is repeatedly dropped from GC should raise massive red flags when it comes to trading, particularly given the hit we'd be taking to our salary cap.

That would be true if we could rely on seeing 2 separate images at exactly the same instant in time. When I've watched the goal review do their thing, it seems that the ball moves about half a metre each frame. I doubt very much that when we look at 2 separate images we can be satisfied that they're the exact same moment in time. The video is all that matters, stills are worthless.

I used to stills to illustrate what the video shows.

I.e the ball doesn’t hit the post, and it’s nowhere near the padding.

Using the two angles the replay is 100% conclusive, it wouldn’t have been umpires call, it would have been overturned.

... all that talent, and they still only managed to finish 13th on the ladder.

Any player who is repeatedly dropped from GC should raise massive red flags when it comes to trading, particularly given the hit we'd be taking to our salary cap.
Repeatedly?

Try once?

How do ya reckon we'd go if we could pinch Noah Anderson, Sam Flanders, Mac Andrew and Ned Moyle off them?
All would be material improvements. We have massive weaknesses in ruck & midfield - Anderson & Moyle would fill these gaps nicely. Andrew would be a definite upgrade on both Butts & Keane. I wouldn't have any problems with Flanders replacing Nankervis or Bond.

Luko... just doesn't upgrade our team the way these other players would. Could be why they're all required players at GC, while Luko is not?

Really? Show me your best 22 team that keeps Luko out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back