Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

k cornes reported this morning houston still wants to go home next year despite his radio announcement last week. he wouldn't say that for no reason

NOW,
if port keep houston - no interest in cumming if they lose him big interest.... so who knows

That's been my thought with Houston. I also think Port are happy for him to go as they have publicly said they need to go to the draft in the next few years. There are few issues with Houston situation.

The draft Capital asking price from Port is too high in a year where clubs rate the draft.

A number of Victorian clubs who might be interested like the Bulldogs don't have a first round pick let alone two.

A number of the Victorian clubs are not at the point of topping up their list.

Are any of those guns?
big-little-gun-gif.2098767

This isn’t the CIA though, a source is either a manager, player’s family or club, you aren’t breaking confidentiality by saying which one of those it is. There’s no need to be vague with the type of source or of course people will be skeptical about the info.
Who I got the info from can go ahead and share if they wish. I don’t want to break their trust

I see no reason to leave him out of it though.

I just don't think much of his job is based on judgement of footballers in terms of building a list. I reckon he's more the administrative arm of the system. James Gallagher got the Saints gig based on his banking career. He might be incompetent, but unlike Roo, Nix and Kelly, there's not ample evidence of it.

I just don't think much of his job is based on judgement of footballers in terms of building a list. I reckon he's more the administrative arm of the system. James Gallagher got the Saints gig based on his banking career. He might be incompetent, but unlike Roo, Nix and Kelly, there's not ample evidence of it.
And look at the saints list, Reid had zero list management experience prior to the job, imo he has to be a big part of the failure that is currently the list.
For years there’s been a big disconnect between coaches and list management, so how big a part can nicks be in list management?

And look at the saints list, Reid had zero list management experience prior to the job, imo he has to be a big part of the failure that is currently the list.
For years there’s been a big disconnect between coaches and lust management, so how big a part can nicks br in list management?

That's one of the things that makes me think that judgement of footballers isn't necessarily much of the job. You've got your highly paid coach, highly paid head of footy and club legend & footy director to do that part of it. From memory Fagan said his role was to basically just keep minutes, which was surprising because the accountant is also in the meeting. But again, I doubt either of those guys would have much say on whether a player is getting 4 or 5 years. I doubt Reid does either, I reckon his input is more around his feel on the negotiation aspect. But in terms of decisions like whether to extend Borlase and Berry for 2 more years, I'm convinced that Roo, Nix and Kelly would be responsible for that call. Extending guys like Sloane and Tex could come from higher up though. We know that Fagan forced Reid's hand when trading for Gibbs, so politics will play a part at times. But on average, I don't reckon Reid personally has much involvement on who we decide to keep or turf.

Bit different when it's a bloke like Silvagni though, or even Noble, who had coached and had football industry credibility. But bringing in a player agent tells me that his job is focussed mostly on negotiation.

That's one of the things that makes me think that judgement of footballers isn't necessarily much of the job. You've got your highly paid coach, highly paid head of footy and club legend & footy director to do that part of it. From memory Fagan said his role was to basically just keep minutes, which was surprising because the accountant is also in the meeting. But again, I doubt either of those guys would have much say on whether a player is getting 4 or 5 years. I doubt Reid does either, I reckon his input is more around his feel on the negotiation aspect. But in terms of decisions like whether to extend Borlase and Berry for 2 more years, I'm convinced that Roo, Nix and Kelly would be responsible for that call. Extending guys like Sloane and Tex could come from higher up though. We know that Fagan forced Reid's hand when trading for Gibbs, so politics will play a part at times. But on average, I don't reckon Reid personally has much involvement on who we decide to keep or turf.

Bit different when it's a bloke like Silvagni though, or even Noble, who had coached and had football industry credibility. But bringing in a player agent tells me that his job is focussed mostly on negotiation.
Accountants don’t “keep minutes”. 😳

I’m struggling to think that a list manager isn’t “the man”
Reid doesn’t seem like the bloke to defer to others.
If Nicks is part of list management how can there be such a disconnect?

Accountants don’t “keep minutes”. 😳

Not at our club, that's the CEO's role. No idea why the accountant would need to be there, a list management spreadsheet is about as rudimentary an excel sheet as you'd come across. Fagan is keeping minutes, Reid can run the spreadsheet, the full cap should be budgeted for, so input from an accountant is totally unnecessary.

I’m struggling to think that a list manager isn’t “the man”
Reid doesn’t seem like the bloke to defer to others.
If Nicks is part of list management how can there be such a disconnect?

What disconnect? Roo, Nix and Kelly are all on the same page. We've got a list that is finals capable, we were saying that even after TT's injury. We just had some bad luck with injuries and close losses. I struggle to think that he could be given the fact that he came here without any AFL credentials outside of negotiating contracts. Others do the decision making he does the execution. I'm sure he has a say, I just don't think it would be possible to override the 3 main players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What disconnect? Roo, Nix and Kelly are all on the same page. We've got a list that is finals capable, we were saying that even after TT's injury. We just had some bad luck with injuries and close losses. I struggle to think that he could be given the fact that he came here without any AFL credentials outside of negotiating contracts. Others do the decision making he does the execution. I'm sure he has a say, I just don't think it would be possible to override the 3 main players.
Playing smith past his trigger and then dropping him 2 weeks later, wasting numerous games on players we delist in the same year.

Playing smith past his trigger and then dropping him 2 weeks later, wasting numerous games on players we delist in the same year.

We're after wins, Nicks was on record saying that our plan was to finish the season strong. VB said that the best way to develop the future is to win this week. With Smith, we were just protecting a senior player and giving him the usual amount of time to get back into form before being dropped. Even if he didn't have a trigger, I reckon we'd have extended him if he went public during the year about a desire to play on.

The below article doesn't clear anything up, but is a decent read. It explains what a list manager should be doing. I just reckon that their roles/influences aren't all identical and they're designed based around the strengths they bring to the gig. What supports my view is that of the 4 key players on our LM committee, 3 of them are definitely of the 'win games now' mindset. Roo for ego reasons and Nix and Kelly for keeping job reasons. I just can't see how that structure protects future interests and knowing what we know about Roo, Kelly & Nix, I'm not inclined to be certain that Reid is a problem himself.

We're after wins, Nicks was on record saying that our plan was to finish the season strong. VB said that the best way to develop the future is to win this week. With Smith, we were just protecting a senior player and giving him the usual amount of time to get back into form before being dropped. Even if he didn't have a trigger, I reckon we'd have extended him if he went public during the year about a desire to play on.

The below article doesn't clear anything up, but is a decent read. It explains what a list manager should be doing. I just reckon that their roles/influences aren't all identical and they're designed based around the strengths they bring to the gig. What supports my view is that of the 4 key players on our LM committee, 3 of them are definitely of the 'win games now' mindset. Roo for ego reasons and Nix and Kelly for keeping job reasons. I just can't see how that structure protects future interests and knowing what we know about Roo, Kelly & Nix, I'm not inclined to be certain that Reid is a problem himself.

Reid is Roos mate. He was appointed with zero list management experience.
All problems lead to Roo.

They certainly are no Rankine but good role players though. Lukosius is still young so has potential to develop into a gun like what Dawson did after being traded here and was initially a good role player.
Dawson was a gun in his final year at Sydney though

Adelaide Crows forward Riley Thilthorpe signs new contract until the end of 2028​

After what he showed late this season, many think Riley Thilthorpe will explode in 2025 – and the young Crow will remain at West Lakes a lot longer than that.
2 min read
September 2, 2024 - 2:14PM

Simeon Thomas-WilsonSimeon Thomas-Wilson
follow

That forward line might be unrecognisable in 2025 with the Crows leading the race to land Gold Coast’s Jack Lukosius, if he leaves, while they’ve also shown interest in his Suns’ teammate Malcolm Rosas.

Adelaide Crows forward Riley Thilthorpe signs new contract until the end of 2028​

After what he showed late this season, many think Riley Thilthorpe will explode in 2025 – and the young Crow will remain at West Lakes a lot longer than that.

Simeon Thomas-WilsonSimeon Thomas-Wilson
follow

That forward line might be unrecognisable in 2025 with the Crows leading the race to land Gold Coast’s Jack Lukosius, if he leaves, while they’ve also shown interest in his Suns’ teammate Malcolm Rosas.
That seems like just reiterating other older reports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back