Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 160 82.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall us offering 2 x firsts last year, but whatever his value last year it's gone down considerably this year.

If we are looking at Oliver, we should be looking to reduce the length of contract/ have Melbourne pay the TTP difference, or they give us a pick so they can offer $1.5million to Mac Andrew next year.
The entire saga happened before trade week last year. So I agree, I doubt it even got to trade packages before MFC poured cold water over it

The entire saga happened before trade week last year. So I agree, I doubt it even got to trade packages before MFC poured cold water over it
Yeah, the two-firsts claim is nonsense. Adelaide stated that they expressed a polite interest and were informed that he was not available. That was it.

Isn't he getting off season operations on multiple things, including a chronic shoulder?
Oliver has joined Petracca on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on his hand on Monday.

The last time I can see Oliver had shoulder surgery at the end of the season in 2018 where he had a reco on both shoulders.

Us chasing Oliver again worries me. I would much rather we took pick 4 to the draft and bring in one of the gun young mids and back ourselves to improve with the group we already have. We already have a good group of young kids and just need to add some more class in the middle and some more depth which we are trying to do with guys like ANB, Luko and Cumming.

Going all in for Oliver would be a massive risk, we would be giving up this years and potentially next years first for someone who has had a lot of off field issues. No guarantee he gets back to the level he was at prior to the off field issues. You also then have the risk that he unsettles the group and starts to be a bad influence on the group.

To me there are just way to many red flags and risks here.
Remove pick 4 from the equation and how do you feel? I don't think you'd find many so willing to take on the length of contract, cost + give up this and next years first rounders.

End of the day, it's not happening as we don't even have the list spots to make it happen unless we have some guys requesting a trade out that doesn't appear to be the case at this stage.

Cumming free agent
Oliver, ANB and Demons F2, F3 for Crows F1 and Pick 25
Demons F2, F3 to GC for Lukosius
you need afl to signoff using f1 and f2 but i suspect you would get it through given how many draft picks we have recently taken

i doubt melbourne do it. i personally wouldn't do it but reid and kelly might

People would much rather go to Geelong than Adelaide …… Adelaide has all the aspects of life you’d like …. except culture
I think there is an appeal to Geelong, but IMO, it's not culture. It's the fact you're close to nice beaches (St Kilda ain't great) but only an hour-ish away from Melbourne city (although that drive can suck in peak times)...you can basically still have a Melbourne life/connection living in Geelong.

Adelaide smacks the pants off Geelong in terms of a city with culture and vibe. I know people love to refer to Adelaide as big country town, but hot dawg, Geelong really is a BIG COUNTRY TOWN, not really a city.

Again, IMO.

There might be a place for him on the wing... maybe. What worries me is that Gold Coast have been shuffling him around all over the field for year, trying to find a position that suits him, all to no avail. Now they're giving up and putting him on the trade table as a way out of their list & salary squeezes.

While we have 3x tall forwards in TT/Fog/Tex, we do have a shortage of quality wingmen. Sholl is arguably the best of them, and he's not much chop either.

I'm not sure we want to be paying $1M for a wingman either...

... and I still think he's softer then butter.
Lukosius is one player you can see having some good minor round games ,,,, and failing in Finals intensity

He’s young enough to change somewhat …. but leave it go too long and the lazy habits ect are ingrained … ala Gibbs

I think there is an appeal to Geelong, but IMO, it's not culture. It's the fact you're close to nice beaches (St Kilda ain't great) but only an hour-ish away from Melbourne city (although that drive can suck in peak times)...you can basically still have a Melbourne life/connection living in Geelong.

Adelaide smacks the pants off Geelong in terms of a city with culture and vibe. I know people love to refer to Adelaide as big country town, but hot dawg, Geelong really is a BIG COUNTRY TOWN, not really a city.

Again, IMO.
Adelaide beaches **** all over Geelongs …. for starters there’s an average of 4 degrees differential in water temperature

Adelaide beaches have always been the city’s biggest attraction …. until humans thought they could improve them …. what a disaster that was

Adelaide beaches **** all over Geelongs …. for starters there’s an average of 4 degrees differential in water temperature

Adelaide beaches have always been the city’s biggest attraction …. until humans thought they could improve them …. what a disaster that was
I agree with you - we have bloody great beaches! But when St Kilda or Williamstown are you baselines, Geelong starts to look good :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've stayed in Geelong a few times ... It's not a place is want to live. Admit Adelaide isn't the greatest either. For a 20yo youngster earning more money than any of us, pretty sure they both suck.

I've stayed in Geelong a few times ... It's not a place is want to live. Admit Adelaide isn't the greatest either. For a 20yo youngster earning more money than any of us, pretty sure they both suck.
I won't give this the red thumbs downs as you have your opinion. But it's wrong. I've lived in both places for many years and the closest comment to share between the two cities is how similar they are to each other. Geelong is simply a condensed version of Adelaide.

They both have their red suburbs but hey also have lots going for them. GFC has recognised that one of their strategic competitive advantages is that Geelong isn't a big city. Given how many AFL footballers come from rural or remote areas, this is often a good outcome for a young man compared to being drafted to central Melbourne. Not always...but often.

Adelaide FC and the city generally could do worse than to identify where it holds advantage over other places and market itself accordingly. But at least we should stop whinging about it. Adelaide is a far, far greater place than the "cheap shot critics" give it credit for.

Again, IMO.
geelong is a hole and the beaches aren't that great but good surfing in places not far away.

the greatest appeal of geelong is they have a coach who knows what he is doing and list manager and recruitment especially who are geniuses

None of the players live in Geelong. They live in either Torquey or live on nearby farms they got on the cheap.

Or they just live in Melbourne and make the 45 minute drive once a fortnight…

geelong is a hole and the beaches aren't that great but good surfing in places not far away.

the greatest appeal of geelong is they have a coach who knows what he is doing and list manager and recruitment especially who are geniuses
... and a club sponsor who offers them unbeatable property deals, outside the salary cap, which massively increases their effective salaries. It's called the "Costa Living Allowance" (kudos to Kane McGoodwin for coining the term).

... and a club sponsor who offers them unbeatable property deals, outside the salary cap, which massively increases their effective salaries. It's called the "Costa Living Allowance" (kudos to Kane McGoodwin for coining the term).
I think he passed on

None of the players live in Geelong. They live in either Torquey or live on nearby farms they got on the cheap.

Or they just live in Melbourne and make the 45 minute drive once a fortnight…
I reckon if you surveyed Victorian AFL players, most would prefer to live in the Geelong area than around or in Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back