Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 11, last 22nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 120 88.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As Essendon attempts ruck by committee – Draper, Todd Goldstein, Nick Bryan and Peter Wright have all played there this year – Draper’s own future has been a subject of conjecture.

He didn’t miss the recent reports about Adelaide coming hard at him when his contract expires next year, but said the Essendon faithful had nothing to worry about.

“Yeah, I did see people say that. I love this club. They took a chance on me when no one else did. I was just some soccer player from Adelaide, they took a chance on me in the rookie draft, they put their faith in me at the time. I didn’t play my first game until about four years into my career. I love this club, I love the boys. The Essendon crowd were amazing, they don’t like Collingwood.”

So you are staying for the ride?

“Definitely.”
Phew

The fact we still haven't drafted one gun mid with a top 5 pick, after 6 years of being near the bottom of the ladder, tells you everything you need to know about our drafting and our list build. All good sides are built around their midfield, the easiest way to bring in elite midfield talent is through the top end of the draft.

We haven't prioritised our midfield, but have somehow managed to ignore other areas of the team too (ruck, small forwards). Add all this to the Mcasey and Galluci first round disasters and it's hard to understand how we haven't changed our head recruiter in so long.

A top 5 pick. Have we only had one - Thilthorpe?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A top 5 pick. Have we only had one - Thilthorpe?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes but as I've said a few times, we could have pushed harder to use our future first for Rankine and drafted Phillipou. We also should have done more to try and push the Chayce Jones pick higher to get Roezee or Rankine.

At the end of the day we have been out of finals contention for 6 years now and have not drafted a gun mid with any first round picks, let alone top 5.

Yes, it is Laird’s. He ain’t going anywhere.

Players should be able to be traded by clubs under contract. They have way too much power.
Do they?

My work can't just make me go work for someone else interstate.

Then again I'm not being paid a shitload to kick a ball.

You sign a contract with certain clauses in it. If he's agreed that kind of thing is allowed then fine. I assume the AFLPA is against it nad that kind of thing is NOT in contracts.

Do they?

My work can't just make me go work for someone else interstate.

Then again I'm not being paid a shitload to kick a ball.

You sign a contract with certain clauses in it. If he's agreed that kind of thing is allowed then fine. I assume the AFLPA is against it nad that kind of thing is NOT in contracts.
Your work can make you redundant but offer you a role interstate.

That’s a genuinely good question to ask. The issue is, with sporting clubs and/or business organisations, theoretically the stronger you currently are the more risk you can afford to take.

We currently aren’t strong therefore need to be more conservative which probably means taking an elite junior mid in the draft as a lower risk option (ideally from SA) relative to Oliver who at 1m x 6, very mediocre form and his well documented issues, could almost break us and our culture if it implodes.
Ummm... our culture? We have a culture that rewards mediocrity, a coach that publicly announced last week that Brodie Smith at 33 years of age with injury concerns is a big part of the future of our club. There's something very fishy going on behind the scenes at the Crows, it stinks to high heaven,

Ummm... our culture? We have a culture that rewards mediocrity, a coach that publicly announced last week that Brodie Smith at 33 years of age with injury concerns is a big part of the future of our club. There's something very fishy going on behind the scenes at the Crows, it stinks to high heaven,
Clearly Nicks was talking about his own future which will have the same duration as Smith and end mid next year, Smith will retire and Nicks will get the boot.

Loser coach re-signed because they couldn’t handle the noise. That has them trying to shut down dissent. The place is ****ed.

Your work can make you redundant but offer you a role interstate.
This happened to me last month, this exact situation it bloody sucked and I know when they rehire in the other state for the role I was doing it'll be 15k less than what I was making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At times this year, whether he's meant to or not, Nicks has displayed quite an arrogant streak and sounded like he's talking down to people, especially supporters on things they're calling for.

At times this year, whether he's meant to or not, Nicks has displayed quite an arrogant streak and sounded like he's talking down to people, especially supporters on things they're calling for.
I don’t think it’s been at times. I think he is quite an arrogant man.

I don’t mind a bit of arrogance in people who are highly successful and knowledgeable in their field. I’d obviously prefer people to not be arrogant, but at least there is a track record in these types of arrogant people and you can usually learn a bit from them (and they’re usually quite prepared to talk about themselves and how they’ve succeeded!).

Nicks has proven to be neither successful nor knowledgeable at this point in his coaching career.

As Essendon attempts ruck by committee – Draper, Todd Goldstein, Nick Bryan and Peter Wright have all played there this year – Draper’s own future has been a subject of conjecture.

He didn’t miss the recent reports about Adelaide coming hard at him when his contract expires next year, but said the Essendon faithful had nothing to worry about.

“Yeah, I did see people say that. I love this club. They took a chance on me when no one else did. I was just some soccer player from Adelaide, they took a chance on me in the rookie draft, they put their faith in me at the time. I didn’t play my first game until about four years into my career. I love this club, I love the boys. The Essendon crowd were amazing, they don’t like Collingwood.”

So you are staying for the ride?

“Definitely.”
Thank ****, now we can focus on getting Nick Bryan

Thank ****, now we can focus on getting Nick Bryan
Smarter move would be to draft Sturt's Alex Dodson this draft for whatever it takes and persist with ROB/Strachan (both contracted for 2025) for another season. Dodson to my eye looks a fair bit further advanced football skills wise than Taylor Goad who we apparently had big interest in last year. Bryan is unlikely to ever be an elite ruckman whereas Dodson could very well be IMO. Let's face it we're unlikely to be in Premiership contention in 2025.

Smarter move would be to draft Sturt's Alex Dodson this draft for whatever it takes and persist with ROB/Strachan (both contracted for 2025) for another season. Dodson to my eye looks a fair bit further advanced football skills wise than Taylor Goad who we apparently had big interest in last year. Bryan is unlikely to ever be an elite ruckman whereas Dodson could very well be IMO. Let's face it we're unlikely to be in Premiership contention in 2025.

I agree. Assuming Dodson picks footy over basketball, I'd be thrilled with him, Welsh and Draper out of this year's draft.

You can add losing Lyons as another one of Reid's stuff-ups. Totally misread Carlton having any interest in him in the Gibbs trade (Carlton were never budging off wanting one of Gov or Cameron and/or picks) and had low-balled him so hard by that point it destroyed any potential currency he could have had.
The value we got for Lyons was below his worth, but not by much. His next club gave him away for free.

When would Dodson be ready, though? 2028?

When would Dodson be ready, though? 2028?
Way way before Taylor Goad This is a very advanced talent both skills wise and physically, I could see no reason why he wouldn't be ready to have an input at AFL level in 2026.

Back