List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because we haven't drafted a ruckman for 10 years, we don't have a lot options.
We have saved heaps in the last 10 years for what we have paid on ruckman, I think it's ok to pull the band aid off and spend some of our plentiful dollars on trying to improve the team now.
ROB only has another year left on his contract.
I would have been happy for the club to have a decent crack at getting Ned Moyle, but we didn't do that either.
Pretty sure at least the media had us having a decent crack, at least that's my recollection.

Well if we want him that's exactly what we'll be offering...
That's been the frustrating part for the last 5 years where we could have been drafting any number of young ruckman on the cheap.
But we didn't and now we are struggling to find one to come to us.
But we need to improve that area of our team now.

Max Ransden (contracted 2025) is the athletic ruck with ROB type endurance I'd be chasing now Lloyd Meek looks to have cemented his spot as the Hawks No.1 Ruck, failing that Saints athletic Ruck/Forward Max Heath (contracted 2024) would be worth a look as well.

ROB is more than competent. Is not a crap ruckman as you suggested. I do agree that we need to look for his replacement as hes getting close to 30. You dont need a gun ruckman to win a premiership.
That's the thing, I don't think ROB is competent.
His marking has totally fallen away and he cant kick and offers very little around the ground.
And his tap work is average

Max Ransden (contracted 2025) is the athletic ruck with ROB type endurance I'd be chasing now Lloyd Meek looks to have cemented his spot as the Hawks No.1 Ruck, failing that Saints athletic Ruck/Forward Max Heath (contracted 2024) would be worth a look as well.
Ramsden seems to be played more as a KPF? If his ruck work is decent quality I’d be open to it

His marking has totally fallen away and he cant kick and offers very little around the ground.
He was double teamed on friday night against two quality no 1 ruckman. And more than held his own. 47 hit outs. 14 touches and 5 marks. We do need to draft a ruckman to take over. Weve had ROB, Strachan, Thilthorpe, Himmelberg all on our list and list management seem to be happy with the 4 options. Remember there is only one ruck spot unless you are doing a melbourne and drafting a Grundy when you have Gawn. The two best rucks in the AFL at one side. Grundy was quick to realise it didnt work and asked for a trade to Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was double teamed on friday night against two quality no 1 ruckman. And more than held his own. 47 hit outs. 14 touches and 5 marks. We do need to draft a ruckman to take over. Weve had ROB, Strachan, Thilthorpe, Himmelberg all on our list and list management seem to be happy with the 4 options. Remember there is only one ruck spot unless you are doing a melbourne and drafting a Grundy when you have Gawn. The two best rucks in the AFL at one side. Grundy was quick to realise it didnt work and asked for a trade to Sydney.
As you say, he was up against two 'quality' ruckman on Friday night.
Plenty of teams are playing two ruckman
But we aren't allowed to have more than two genuine ruckman on our list ?

Early days he was like a raging bull when the ball hit the ground after the ruck contest. Now he just waits for a handball receive or to start jogging towards where the next ruck contest might be.

$200k that can’t be spent on, lets say hypothetically, if Phillipou is interested in coming home.

And again, I think we overspent on that ROB contract, why does that justify overspending on a different ruck?

It’s not a binary situation though. We can have Phillipou and English. I think there’s a handful of ruckman worth the $1m mark because of what they contribute outside of the ruck contest. English is one of the handful.

TRADED or FREE AGENT
Elliot Himmelberg - free agent GWS
ROB - traded to Victoria
Ned McHenry - trade/delist

RETIRED
Rory Sloane

DELISTED
Lachlan Gollant
[Patrick Parnell (R)]

MOVES TO ROOKIE LIST
Brodie Smith

ARRIVALS
Tim English
Isaac Cumming
Caleb Daniel
Two top 25 picks
Tyler Welsh - scraps from draft

That’s five out and six in as Sloane has already been replaced

Ramsden seems to be played more as a KPF? If his ruck work is decent quality I’d be open to it
Both Ned Reeves and Max Ramsden seem to play a lot as Ruck/Forwards for the Box Hill Hawks, my preference is Ramsden because he is more athletically gifted and has elite endurance for a big unit. Both quite competent up forward as well. Ramsden the better skilled IMO.

$200k that can’t be spent on, lets say hypothetically, if Phillipou is interested in coming home.

And again, I think we overspent on that ROB contract, why does that justify overspending on a different ruck?
Not having enough money isn't our issue.

Not having enough great players willing to take it is.

It’s not a binary situation though. We can have Phillipou and English. I think there’s a handful of ruckman worth the $1m mark because of what they contribute outside of the ruck contest. English is one of the handful.

It kind of is though. The $1m you’d spend to get English, is money you don’t have to spend elsewhere.

This isn’t a knock on English, ruck just isn’t that important of a position, no matter how good you are.

It kind of is though. The $1m you’d spend to get English, is money you don’t have to spend elsewhere.

This isn’t a knock on English, ruck just isn’t that important of a position, no matter how good you are.

But it’s only $200k ish more than a stock standard first ruck. You’re paying for the extra output around the ground and the fact he comes without draft capital outlay.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back