List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what last night showed more than anything is that our list management has some critical decisions to make.

Tex? Feels like he should play on and be well managed, but if the back is stuffed then don’t want another Rory contract.

What do we do if Crouch, Laird, Berry, Soligo, Dawson and Taylor are all fit?
You can’t have Crouch, Laird and Berry in same midfield. Taylor is also a similar type. Must have some more variety.
Trade Berry? Then what? Still stuck with Crouch Laird and Taylor.
For me, I’d trade Laird. He would have some reasonable currency and we would be cashing out before the inevitable cliff.

Key defenders another key decision point. If Murray is gone it might change things, but do we need all of them on the list?
I agree with the premise but Laird wont be going anywhere - which is why I named Crouch as the seeya player

Laird won’t have any trade currency. He’s similar to Taylor Adams and same age. Adams went for pick 33 last years. Laird with an extra year wouldn’t get a pick that high.

One of them should go. I think we get more back and lose less by moving on Laird.
Thinking of which clubs could use his skills the most, West Coast come to mind but not as a mid, off half back as an accumulator like he used to do for us prior to moving into the middle. He might offer them some run out of the back half to help their rebuild too

TRADED or FREE AGENT
Elliot Himmelberg - free agent GWS
ROB - traded to Victoria
Ned McHenry - trade/delist

RETIRED
Rory Sloane

DELISTED
Lachlan Gollant
[Patrick Parnell (R)]

MOVES TO ROOKIE LIST
Brodie Smith

ARRIVALS
Tim English
Isaac Cumming
Caleb Daniel
Two top 25 picks
Tyler Welsh - scraps from draft

TRADED or FREE AGENT
Elliot Himmelberg - free agent GWS
ROB - traded to Victoria
Ned McHenry - trade/delist

RETIRED
Rory Sloane

DELISTED
Lachlan Gollant
[Patrick Parnell (R)]

MOVES TO ROOKIE LIST
Brodie Smith

ARRIVALS
Tim English
Isaac Cumming
Caleb Daniel
Two top 25 picks
Tyler Welsh - scraps from draft
I think we’ll be stuck with ROB next year and then he’ll leave when out of contract

If we really pushed to get into this draft more using future picks we can get 3 picks in before Welsh
Hopefully the NGA rule isn’t as of this year although likely is , means we can’t get Barnet or Champion

If we can see come August we’d miss out on these 2 , I wouldn’t be against throwing a 2nd rounder and a sweetener to Carlton for Jesse Motlop

I think what last night showed more than anything is that our list management has some critical decisions to make.

Tex? Feels like he should play on and be well managed, but if the back is stuffed then don’t want another Rory contract.

What do we do if Crouch, Laird, Berry, Soligo, Dawson and Taylor are all fit?
You can’t have Crouch, Laird and Berry in same midfield. Taylor is also a similar type. Must have some more variety.
Trade Berry? Then what? Still stuck with Crouch Laird and Taylor.
For me, I’d trade Laird. He would have some reasonable currency and we would be cashing out before the inevitable cliff.

Key defenders another key decision point. If Murray is gone it might change things, but do we need all of them on the list?

I'd be telling both Laird and Crouch that they'll play out their contracts in the SANFL. We don't need either. The other 2 are not as prolific, but there impact is much better and they're still capable of improving much more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's clear as day, ROB isn't any good.
Lets stick with a crap ruckman. How stupid is that thinking ?
It's a good decision to get a better quality ruckman.

Spending big $$$ to get a ruck is not a good decision.

I agree, we should look for a different ruck option, but that doesn’t mean we have to spend up big to get English.

The 2020 ROB was very good, consistent strong contested marks in defense with very good endurance to get to a lot of contest.

He’s been very solid, but this year the marking has deserted him which makes him a liability at times. I’m hopeful he can get back to that but I still think we should look for a replacement.

However, spending big $$ on English isn’t the answer. We’ve seen with the Hawks with Meek, GWS with Briggs, North with Xerri, Sydney with Grundy.

Ruck as a position is not that important and you shouldn’t be spending large chunks of your cap there.

I agree, we should look for a different ruck option, but that doesn’t mean we have to spend up big to get English.
Correct to make a ruckman your highest paid player is ridiculous IMO which is what English would become if he was to come here

Because we haven't drafted a ruckman for 10 years, we don't have a lot options.
We have saved heaps in the last 10 years for what we have paid on ruckman, I think it's ok to pull the band aid off and spend some of our plentiful dollars on trying to improve the team now.
ROB only has another year left on his contract.
I would have been happy for the club to have a decent crack at getting Ned Moyle, but we didn't do that either.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back