Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmmm SDK.
Fingers crossed it's nothing major.
But... Geez... A big bodied Fijian would be really handy about now to fill that void.
Don't be fooled by Esava's performance last night - look who Power beat ;)

Mmmm SDK.
Fingers crossed it's nothing major.
But... Geez... A big bodied Fijian would be really handy about now to fill that void.

Why?

He's a not a better option up forward than Neale as the second tall

He's clueless in the ruck and we're better with Stanley in there

With the addition of the cheaper Jeka in that years rookie draft, he's addition to the VFL side would be impacting the defensive development of O'Sullivan

As we saw for a month post bye, we were happy to play with a defensive unit minus SDK with no replacement tall defender bought into the team - instead we backed in Henry & Kolodjashnij

Either that'll be the combination we go with should SDK miss, alternatively they'll look to have Stanley push back as an additional tall behind the ball like we did in 2022 or we'll utilise Blicavs in that type of role

Why?

He's a not a better option up forward than Neale as the second tall

He's clueless in the ruck and we're better with Stanley in there

With the addition of the cheaper Jeka in that years rookie draft, he's addition to the VFL side would be impacting the defensive development of O'Sullivan

As we saw for a month post bye, we were happy to play with a defensive unit minus SDK with no replacement tall defender bought into the team - instead we backed in Henry & Kolodjashnij

Either that'll be the combination we go with should SDK miss, alternatively they'll look to have Stanley push back as an additional tall behind the ball like we did in 2022 or we'll utilise Blicavs in that type of role
Why??
Coz he can play that CHB spot that SDK plays.
Pretty simple.
Cheers

CHAWKTS

So the SDK knee os more like the patella sliding out its groove and dislocating and then popping back in?

I remember Paul Kelly sitting on the SCG doing that trying to get his patella back in the groove.. it was ugly.

Anyway... hope SDK is ok and takes whatever time he needs to get right.

From all reports its not an ACL and that makes me very very relieved.

GO Catters

Don't be fooled by Esava's performance last night - look who Power beat ;)
Hehe. Nah. I didn't even watch TBH.
Just saying a big bloke goes down and the cupboard is a little bare with a next man up in that department.
IMO Seasons are marathons with those in reserve become of bigger importance when injuries hit.
He would have been handy this year.

Hehe. Nah. I didn't even watch TBH.
Just saying a big bloke goes down and the cupboard is a little bare with a next man up in that department.
IMO Seasons are marathons with those in reserve become of bigger importance when injuries hit.
He would have been handy this year.
No doubt. He is an honest spoiler who’s size and closing speed would have been useful yesterday.

CHAWKTS

So the SDK knee os more like the patella sliding out its groove and dislocating and then popping back in?

I remember Paul Kelly sitting on the SCG doing that trying to get his patella back in the groove.. it was ugly.

GO Catters
I am out of my depth in terms of the technicalities…best I can describe is “kneecap popping/moving” - is that the same thing as patella?

As you say whatever it is it is painful when it happens but ok soon after. One off is fine but I just have no concept if it becomes a real problem after repeat happenings?

You've just described half the comp with that first line.
....and about 80% with that second.
Either way it would be nice to have IMO.
But each 2 their own.

I can remember Petracca stripping the football off Sav in that PF and running in and kicking that goal and it was bye bye the Cats , it was like the last sand bag holding up the river flood collapsed

He had no football brain at all , and watching him play for Prt Ade , you think to yourself thank goodness hes wearing their colours and not ours

I can remember Petracca stripping the football off Sav in that PF and running in and kicking that goal and it was bye bye the Cats , it was like the last sand bag holding up the river flood collapsed

He had no football brain at all , and watching him play for Prt Ade , you think to yourself thank goodness hes wearing their colours and not ours
Is that the game we all played like a bunch no hopers and got pants by 15 goals??

All the noise from Scott post-game was extremely positive, said SDK could have returned to the field if needed, and is likely to play next week. Given how risk averse he is talking about injuries, I don’t think he would have shared this info unless the medicos were 100% confident 🤞

great news but i wouldnt be adverse with him just not making the trip to perth even if he is ok. give the guy a week off.

No doubt. He is an honest spoiler who’s size and closing speed would have been useful yesterday.
I get the big bloke discussion but getting Mannagh, George Stevens and Humphries for him seems like a win for us at this stage... and a win thats not close considering we also aren't paying 750k for 5 years for alll 3 of them let alone 1

GO Catters

I get the big bloke discussion but getting Mannagh, George Stevens and Humphries for him seems like a win for us at this stage... and a win thats not close considering we also aren't paying 750k for 5 years for alll 3 of them let alone 1

GO Catters

We actually got mitch edwards for sav.

Mannagh was from the essendon trade.

But still i agree with your broader point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CHAWKTS

It was Daryn Cresswell. Video on YouTube for those who want to check it out. 🤢
He played the next week, from what I can find out.

It was Daryn Cresswell. Video on YouTube for those who want to check it out. 🤢
He played the next week, from what I can find out.
You are correct - some reason I conflated Paul Kelly...

Right injury, wrong knee.

GO Catters

Woohoo - the return of TBC 😎

Gary Rohan has entered the AFL’s concussion protocols following the game against North Melbourne.

After being subbed out in the third quarter, Geelong Cats Assistant General Manager – Football Brett Johnson said the Club would assess Rohan’s progress as he worked through the concussion protocols.

“We’ll assess each day how Gary is tracking, and we’ll know more as he progresses around availability to play in the coming weeks. We’ll ensure Gary is well looked after,” Johnson said.

In exciting news, Tom Atkins (back) and Oli Wiltshire (pelvis) have both recovered from their respective injuries and will be available for selection.
“Tom has progressed well and hasn’t missed a beat with his rehab after he was a late withdrawal against the Bulldogs,” Johnson said.

“It is a long season, and we took the conservative approach with Tom to make sure he is ready to attack the back end of the year.

“Oli has worked through a pelvis issue and has ticked all the boxes. With the VFL team having the bye this weekend, he will get his chance to return next week when we play Carlton’s VFL team.”

Cameron Guthrie continues to work through his recovery, preparing for a return to play, with the Club to provide a specific timeline in the coming weeks.

Tom Hawkins is recovering from his foot injury and remains three weeks away.

Geelong takes on Adelaide at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday at 4.35pm.

Geelong Cats GMHBA Health Update – Round 21

PlayerInjuryExpected Return
Tom HawkinsFoot3 weeks
Gary RohanConcussionTBC
Cameron GuthrieAchillesTBC
Mitch EdwardsBackSeason
Toby ConwayFootSeason

whats with long term injuries with young rucks. Seem like is always the case for us. was it mark blake the last ruck we drafted that played decent amount games.

GO Catters
Yep No buyers regret, just saying he would be useful to play on some gorillas. DK still a little flakey especially with his knee issues.
Can’t have everything…

Scotty just provided an update on SDK on 360: pretty sure he’ll play this week and if he misses it will just be one week.

🙌
I put this sentence into my Chris Scott AI interpreter and it said that it can be translated as:

DK is absolutely no chance to play this week. And may miss more than one.

I put this sentence into my Chris Scott AI interpreter and it said that it can be translated as:

DK is absolutely no chance to play this week. And may miss more than one.

Are you sure it wasn't:

"SDK will be going in for surgery later this week and we're currently exploring all options regarding the validity in replicating 'The Six Million Dollar Man' path"

CHAWKTS

GO Catters
IIRC, SJ did this in the 2011 prelim, and given we were in a GF, got up and played (really well) the next week. Not ideal treatment, but doable. It may have been a medial injury, but looked a lot like a patellar dislocation the way he was describing what happened with his actions.

If SDK has an uncomplicated patellar instability injury, he could RTP next week, but I would guess he won't fly to WA and he is treated and saved for Marvel.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back