News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to remember that Jonathan Horn guy having a pop at us a while back. And being wide of the mark. The perpetuation of the Lyon got rid of Lethlean story is getting a bit tiresome. Bassat put that to bed ages ago.

And I read somewhere yesterday that he got Walsh sacked. Can’t remember where now. How do these guys get jobs?

This from The Guardian this morning :

"Lyon has been granted an unusual amount of power at St Kilda. He’s shaped a lot of change around him – recruiters, development staff, CEOs."

Rubbish

6TEGF88.jpeg

Who gives a shit. We are unwatchable and we aren't very good. We've had injuries and we suck, it's up to Lyon to fix it. He has next year regardless.

The WCE have had a really bad injury run too but no-one remembers that stuff. They only notice when you are or aren't performing.

I couldn’t give a fat **** what any of them say. We’re mostly competitive even though we mostly play like shit because of injury and development and lack of all stars (what the **** does that say about teams only just pipping us?).
In my experience teams of all codes lose close ones prior to turning around and finding ways to win them and then going on to be champions.
Despite our disappointment we’re closer than we think Sainters.

That's just 2 quarters. Fair enough. Lets not forget he's played plenty of footy this year. It's ok to say he's been disappointing. He has.

He’s been playing hurt since he came back from the injury he copped in the Giants game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s been playing hurt since he came back from the injury he copped in the Giants game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree… also I have no doubt the piss weak decision to give him a 1 week suspension for a glancing bump in the Pies match threw his confidence a bit. He gets criticised for a lack of presence but he comes across as a bit gangly and awkward. As mentioned by a few media personalities… the injury spell might be a blessing in disguise and a circuit breaker for him to put on a bit of real size this coming offseason

Hawthorn looked pretty ordinary for the first half dozen games this year. Adelaide been ordinary. GWS off a cliff. Port under the gun. All seemingly with better lists than us. Doesn’t take long to turn it around with some luck.

Have you ever noticed that Caro rarely smiles on FC.

She can't...!!!!!!

Her face would crack.....!!!!

:p :p
Her bitterness and hatred has started to show on her face. Like the picture of Dorian Gray, her inner self is now exposed on her surface.

I've had the misfortune of mixing with her, socially, through colleagues and a couple of mutual friends. My impression of her? A thoroughly nasty and cold piece of work. Exactly as she comes across in FC and other forums.

This is just evidence of people swallowing the media propaganda about us being boring and defensive. Gerard Wheatley says we are unwatchable on 360, all oppo supporters say we're terrible so it must be true. A few Saints supporters are saying we were better under Ratten, a laughable claim.

The most brainless thing I've heard some supporters repeat is this stupid claim from Caroline Wilson and Daniel Cherny that we should "get our house into order" before we start chirping up about inequality, like somehow our club complains more than others. Other coaches whinge about umpires forever - something Ross never does, I don't hear the same accusation then. I wonder why?

We ARE getting our house in order, but apparently according to a lot of posters here St Kilda should be playing beautiful football just like the Hawks (who until about 8 games ago were losing by cricket scores most weeks) and "all my Saints mates have stopped going to the footy so that must mean we're heading down shit creek"... no mate, shit creek was where the good ship Ratts was floating down at a rate of knots, we're turning this ship around, and doing it against the current without our strongest oarsman Brad Crouch and a few young players down on belief with zero leadership from our meek seniors.

Any levers that other teams can pull - draft concessions for poor performance, state academies, a proud and successful club tradition and culture, massive crowds from set in stone blockbuster games to attract players who want the big time, media love in (imagine if Ross got the adulation that Ken Hinkley or Adam Simpson got, rather than grudging respect), sway with the AFL based on financial contribution to the game like the Pies, Blues, Eagles etc are simply unavailable for us, just like on field we're doing it the hard way and it just takes longer.

And you watch those Saints supporting mates who are as disgusted as that footy puritan Gerard Wheatley with our unfashionable style start coming to games again once it starts to click and our players are a hardened unit playing a tight consistent system and scaring the shit out of oppo teams - this will happen but getting to that point from where we were at the end of 22 takes time, pain, and patience.

I saw at the start of last year, and fleeting glimpses this year what our best might look like, I believe.

Steady as she goes.
Spot on
Spot on
Spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see her around Malvern. One time she let me go in front of of her at the supermarket because I had less stuff. I've liked her ever since, people in Malvern are usually all campaigners. She seems quite friendly in real life I suspect the Iron Lady thing is a bit of a persona for the media. She started the Volcano act before it was fashionable.

Her bitterness and hatred has started to show on her face. Like the picture of Dorian Gray, her inner self is now exposed on her surface.

I've had the misfortune of mixing with her, socially, through colleagues and a couple of mutual friends. My impression of her? A thoroughly nasty and cold piece of work. Exactly as she comes across in FC and other forums.
Well clearly gringo has the Kavorka and you do not 🤷

I couldn’t give a fat ** what any of them say. We’re mostly competitive even though we mostly play like shit because of injury and development and lack of all stars (what the ** does that say about teams only just pipping us?).
In my experience teams of all codes lose close ones prior to turning around and finding ways to win them and then going on to be champions.
POTY.
If we had league average for kicking into the goal post then we'd hve 2-3 more wins. League average accuracy would be another 2-3 wins again.
We are not so far off as is being made out.

I couldn’t give a fat ** what any of them say. We’re mostly competitive even though we mostly play like shit because of injury and development and lack of all stars (what the ** does that say about teams only just pipping us?).
I've said it a few times this year, but does anyone remember when Brisbane was losing games by slim margins several seasons ago...more or less the same team they have now, and have been regular top 4 finalists for years now?
They got their house in order, drafted and recruited well (with the lovely "Northern clubs" benefit scheme, it's far easier done, than for us looking around the lone pub in Camberwell for kids that can kick a bit)
Unfortunately we're not getting the "love" that Brisbane and other Nordy clubs get...but that's to be expected. It doesn't make it any less true though.
We are in a position to move quickly...but also need to navigate it, and not react to the f*cktards pretending to write legible articles, and spouting diarrhoea from their arseh*le mouths.

I've said it a few times this year, but does anyone remember when Brisbane was losing games by slim margins several seasons ago...more or less the same team they have now, and have been regular top 4 finalists for years now?
They got their house in order, drafted and recruited well (with the lovely "Northern clubs" benefit scheme, it's far easier done, than for us looking around the lone pub in Camberwell for kids that can kick a bit)
Unfortunately we're not getting the "love" that Brisbane and other Nordy clubs get...but that's to be expected. It doesn't make it any less true though.
We are in a position to move quickly...but also need to navigate it, and not react to the f*cktards pretending to write legible articles, and spouting diarrhoea from their arseh*le mouths.
Like it.

This is just evidence of people swallowing the media propaganda about us being boring and defensive. Gerard Wheatley says we are unwatchable on 360, all oppo supporters say we're terrible so it must be true. A few Saints supporters are saying we were better under Ratten, a laughable claim.

The most brainless thing I've heard some supporters repeat is this stupid claim from Caroline Wilson and Daniel Cherny that we should "get our house into order" before we start chirping up about inequality, like somehow our club complains more than others. Other coaches whinge about umpires forever - something Ross never does, I don't hear the same accusation then. I wonder why?

We ARE getting our house in order, but apparently according to a lot of posters here St Kilda should be playing beautiful football just like the Hawks (who until about 8 games ago were losing by cricket scores most weeks) and "all my Saints mates have stopped going to the footy so that must mean we're heading down shit creek"... no mate, shit creek was where the good ship Ratts was floating down at a rate of knots, we're turning this ship around, and doing it against the current without our strongest oarsman Brad Crouch and a few young players down on belief with zero leadership from our meek seniors.

Any levers that other teams can pull - draft concessions for poor performance, state academies, a proud and successful club tradition and culture, massive crowds from set in stone blockbuster games to attract players who want the big time, media love in (imagine if Ross got the adulation that Ken Hinkley or Adam Simpson got, rather than grudging respect), sway with the AFL based on financial contribution to the game like the Pies, Blues, Eagles etc are simply unavailable for us, just like on field we're doing it the hard way and it just takes longer.

And you watch those Saints supporting mates who are as disgusted as that footy puritan Gerard Wheatley with our unfashionable style start coming to games again once it starts to click and our players are a hardened unit playing a tight consistent system and scaring the shit out of oppo teams - this will happen but getting to that point from where we were at the end of 22 takes time, pain, and patience.

I saw at the start of last year, and fleeting glimpses this year what our best might look like, I believe.

Steady as she goes.

"Any levers that other teams can pull - draft concessions for poor performance, state academies, a proud and successful club tradition and culture, massive crowds from set in stone blockbuster games to attract players who want the big time, media love in (imagine if Ross got the adulation that Ken Hinkley or Adam Simpson got, rather than grudging respect), sway with the AFL based on financial contribution to the game like the Pies, Blues, Eagles etc are simply unavailable for us, just like on field we're doing it the hard way and it just takes longer."

Great post - yet some people still think that its always the club or staff's fault when we can't attract FA's or young talent looking for more opportunity.

As for game style - everyone knows our midfield is not fantastic so our game is based around other strengths. Sensible coaching IMO. Its a more structured version of the Tigers where they relied on winning the ball through turnovers in the back half to generate scoring opportunities.

We are definitely winning enough of the ball on turnover but are falling down in the transition. A settled fwd line might help that a lot.

As for unwatchable - yep some games have been a hard watch but last weeks games against Port was a great game of footy (after the horrid first qtr from both sides). Yep Butters and Horne Francis goals on the run were great examples of attacking modern footy BUT if you acknowledge that then you've also got to say that the Hill and NWM (please get over your goal kicking yips) passages were equally spectacular attacking footy.

Wonder what spin the media would be putting on us if we'd won the 4 games we lost by less than a goal and were sitting inside the 8?

We have to move now though. That's why I'm against moving on Battle, it sets the clock back further.

It's not quite equivalence either. Brisbane had a catastrophic slow build with players wanting out and eventually built up a good enough list. They were a lot like Carlton or Melbourne where saturation of high picks over a long period eventually paid dividends. We have a real imbalance with old and young and not much in between.

We need at a minimum a good mid around Crouch level and probably a small forward depth player to be competitive. I think we could cover just about every other role.

We are a middling list and need to fill out the missing pieces for now and the future. It's better to stay competitive now days and not bottom out. Lyon came in as a coach known for getting maximum output from minimal lists. At the end of the day that's probably the best we can hope for because we'll never catch a side like North or GC on talent pooling because we are starting from a long way back.

This period of time would have been a good one to be up because as good as Sydney are there is no absolute standout side. An ordinary side like the Dogs could definitely pinch a flag against the current right now. It would be good to be ready to go next year with a side capable of playing finals and hope that it stays that way.

We have to move now though. That's why I'm against moving on Battle, it sets the clock back further.

It's not quite equivalence either. Brisbane had a catastrophic slow build with players wanting out and eventually built up a good enough list. They were a lot like Carlton or Melbourne where saturation of high picks over a long period eventually paid dividends. We have a real imbalance with old and young and not much in between.

We need at a minimum a good mid around Crouch level and probably a small forward depth player to be competitive. I think we could cover just about every other role.

We are a middling list and need to fill out the missing pieces for now and the future. It's better to stay competitive now days and not bottom out. Lyon came in as a coach known for getting maximum output from minimal lists. At the end of the day that's probably the best we can hope for because we'll never catch a side like North or GC on talent pooling because we are starting from a long way back.

This period of time would have been a good one to be up because as good as Sydney are there is no absolute standout side. An ordinary side like the Dogs could definitely pinch a flag against the current right now. It would be good to be ready to go next year with a side capable of playing finals and hope that it stays that way.
We have NO say in Battle's decision it's up to him we have tabled a 6 year deal can't do any more then that.

"Any levers that other teams can pull - draft concessions for poor performance, state academies, a proud and successful club tradition and culture, massive crowds from set in stone blockbuster games to attract players who want the big time, media love in (imagine if Ross got the adulation that Ken Hinkley or Adam Simpson got, rather than grudging respect), sway with the AFL based on financial contribution to the game like the Pies, Blues, Eagles etc are simply unavailable for us, just like on field we're doing it the hard way and it just takes longer."

Great post - yet some people still think that its always the club or staff's fault when we can't attract FA's or young talent looking for more opportunity.

As for game style - everyone knows our midfield is not fantastic so our game is based around other strengths. Sensible coaching IMO. Its a more structured version of the Tigers where they relied on winning the ball through turnovers in the back half to generate scoring opportunities.

We are definitely winning enough of the ball on turnover but are falling down in the transition. A settled fwd line might help that a lot.

As for unwatchable - yep some games have been a hard watch but last weeks games against Port was a great game of footy (after the horrid first qtr from both sides). Yep Butters and Horne Francis goals on the run were great examples of attacking modern footy BUT if you acknowledge that then you've also got to say that the Hill and NWM (please get over your goal kicking yips) passages were equally spectacular attacking footy.

Wonder what spin the media would be putting on us if we'd won the 4 games we lost by less than a goal and were sitting inside the 8?

A lot of those close losses were disgusting spectacles though. I give Lyon the out that we were covering injury so locked them down but our game style is really unappealing this year. The Port game was relatively good because it wasn't as much of a drudgefest as some others but apart from the Brisbane game where we actually looked like we attacked the game we do make games pretty ugly.

We need mids who win ball inside because on the outside we probably have one of the better set ups in the league. Nas, Battle, Wilkie and Sinclair all use the ball well and can turn defence into attack very quickly. Henry, Hill, Bonner, Wilson, Wood all very mobile and a range of run and ball movement styles.

It's forward structure and midfielders that are our biggest areas of need right now. Talking a tall out of the front six and putting in a free scoring small forward and a dominant inside mid would make us a strong competitive side.

Hope we are talking to guys like Luke Parker, maybe even something more left-field like Jarrod Lyons or Rory Atkins. It would be worth seeing what Freo are doing with Brodie too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back