News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We have NO say in Battle's decision it's up to him we have tabled a 6 year deal can't do any more then that.

Don't agree. They could have negotiated easily if they sat down with his manager. I'd say the club is hoping that he goes because the temptation to gamble is there when a high pick is dangled.

A lot of those close losses were disgusting spectacles though. I give Lyon the out that we were covering injury so locked them down but our game style is really unappealing this year. The Port game was relatively good because it wasn't as much of a drudgefest as some others but apart from the Brisbane game where we actually looked like we attacked the game we do make games pretty ugly.

We need mids who win ball inside because on the outside we probably have one of the better set ups in the league. Nas, Battle, Wilkie and Sinclair all use the ball well and can turn defence into attack very quickly. Henry, Hill, Bonner, Wilson, Wood all very mobile and a range of run and ball movement styles.

It's forward structure and midfielders that are our biggest areas of need right now. Talking a tall out of the front six and putting in a free scoring small forward and a dominant inside mid would make us a strong competitive side.

Hope we are talking to guys like Luke Parker, maybe even something more left-field like Jarrod Lyons or Rory Atkins. It would be worth seeing what Freo are doing with Brodie too.
Make games ugly when we up against it, play free flowing when we get the chance - seems a reasonable plan to me.

Adding Crouch and a stable fwd half would have made a difference as well - probably get us over the line 2 or 3 of the close matches at least.

Luke Parker - contracted for next year and 32 - would have to be a zero cost trade (salary dump only) to even think about it.

Don't agree. They could have negotiated easily if they sat down with his manager. I'd say the club is hoping that he goes because the temptation to gamble is there when a high pick is dangled.
Rubbish and speculation, Josh' manager had an offer in front of him late March/early April they have sat on it to see what the market is like.

Gws
Melbourne
West Coast
North Melbourne
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
West Coast and North are showing major signs of improvement. They were horrible last year. Port are 7th on the ladder. GWS disappointing but still in it. Crows won't make finals, but they didn't make finals last year either.

The only team I can agree looks to have had as dissapointing a year as us is the Dees.

Make games ugly when we up against it, play free flowing when we get the chance - seems a reasonable plan to me.

Adding Crouch and a stable fwd half would have made a difference as well - probably get us over the line 2 or 3 of the close matches at least.

Luke Parker - contracted for next year and 32 - would have to be a zero cost trade (salary dump only) to even think about it.

It sounds great if it works like that. I think Lyon played one week to shut people up. That's never going to be his bag IMO. Locked down ugly footy is great when you are winning because with a positive result you are pleased to walk away a winner but even last year there were some very ordinary spectacles.

Yeah. Parker would have to be a salary dump. You'd think they'd like the space in the cap. Hopefully after year or two we have a kid pushing him out to pasture. In the meantime he seems a very highly competitive driven character to teach the kids standards.

Rubbish and speculation, Josh' manager had an offer in front of him late March/early April they have sat on it to see what the market is like.

He gets offers and we go back and ask what it takes for him to sign. Pretty sure if we wanted this wrapped up it would have happened.

A lot of those close losses were disgusting spectacles though. I give Lyon the out that we were covering injury so locked them down but our game style is really unappealing this year. The Port game was relatively good because it wasn't as much of a drudgefest as some others but apart from the Brisbane game where we actually looked like we attacked the game we do make games pretty ugly.
I don't think we went into the Brions gane with any different gamestyle than any other game this year. It's just that both forwardlines for once clicked that day and both defences struggled. Whereas in other games we haven't been able to hit the side of a barn door going forward, or we have been terribly inaccurate and in general our forwardline has been makeshift and dysfunctional due to players being out with injuries / suspensions / or just plain cooked

Bottom line is our forwardline has struggled all year -

King - carrying injuries
Membrey - totally cooked
Owens - opposition paying more attention to him
Higgins - 3 week suspension and accuracy struggles
Butler - injured
Caminiti & Sharman - playing down back
Hayes - injured

Understanding that our midfield is bereft of A-Graders however our forwardline has been diabolical

I don't think we went into the Brions gane with any different gamestyle than any other game this year. It's just that both forwardlines for once clicked that day and both defences struggled. Whereas in other games we haven't been able to hit the side of a barn door going forward, or we have been terribly inaccurate and in general our forwardline has been makeshift and dysfunctional due to players being out with injuries / suspensions / or just plain cooked

King - carrying injuries
Membrey - totally cooked
Butler - injured
Hayes - injured

Understanding that our midfield is bereft of A-Graders however our forwardline has been diabolical

its really annoying that if membery is cooked, why are we giving him a game?

King - carrying injuries
Membrey - totally cooked
Butler - injured
Hayes - injured

I just think the state of the Lions game in itself forced us into an attacking style given Lions got out to a massive lead and just chipping back wasn’t going to cut it. We sort of had to put the foot to the pedal very early on to keep up.

its really annoying that if membery is cooked, why are we giving him a game?

He's not cooked if you ask me.

He's constantly good at VFL level but our forward line at AFL level is beyond impossible to play well in.

He's not quite his old self but I bet he would do fine in most AFL teams

I reckon we are trying to get something for him at the end of the year, GWS and other teams apparently expressed some interest.

He's not cooked if you ask me.

He's constantly good at VFL level but our forward line at AFL level is beyond impossible to play well in.

He's not quite his old self but I bet he would do fine in most AFL teams

I reckon we are trying to get something for him at the end of the year, GWS and other teams apparently expressed some interest.
With our crappy forward entries, even prime plugger will looked 2nd rate.. Membrey probably needed a change of scenary as well.. We can develop Sharman in his place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With our crappy forward entries, even prime plugger will looked 2nd rate.. Membrey probably needed a change of scenary as well.. We can develop Sharman in his place.
Would love to have seen some of the posters on this board discuss Plugger circa 1991 after we bombed out first week of the finals.

"Sure he kicked 127 goals in 17 games, but he doesn't apply any forward pressure. Second efforts are rubbish. Selfish"

"Overweight. Clearly not committed enough. Needs to spend pre-season with a leader like Jarryn Geary who gets best out of himself!!"

"Undisciplined. Good player but, poor influence on young players. Cant have players throwing things at reporters"

"Been in the system 8 years. Sure he won a Brownlow, but that's 4 years ago now. Clearly not getting any better. Trade him. Can find someone with more upside at the draft anyway"

"Mids, mids, mids. We need to stop overpaying forwards and start drafting and developing mids"

"Keen to see Tim Allen given more time up forward. Kid looks like a star. Can use Brian Wilson as a stop gap full forward while Allen develops"

Last edited:
Would love to have seen some of the posters on this board discuss Plugger circa 1991 after we bombed out first week of the finals.

"Sure he kicked 127 goals in 17 games, but he doesn't apply any forward pressure. Second efforts are rubbish. Selfish"

"Overweight. Clearly not committed enough. Needs to spend pre-season with a leader like Jarryn Geary who gets best out of himself!!"

"Undisciplined. Good player but, poor influence on young players. Cant have players throwing things at reporters"

"Been in the system 8 years. Sure he won a Brownlow, but that's 4 years ago now. Clearly not getting any better. Trade him. Can find someone with more upside at the draft anyway"

"Mids, mids, mids. We need to stop overpaying forwards and start drafting and developing mids"

"Keen to see Tim Allen given more time up forward. Kid looks like a star. Can use Brian Wilson as a stop gap full forward while Allen develops"

Wilson was fun to watch tho

King - carrying injuries
Membrey - totally cooked
Butler - injured
Hayes - injured

We were seemingly much more fast and attacking. We had Campbell feeding the mids and won clearance for the first time in years and seemed to want to shoot-out after a lot of criticism of Lyon's boring game plan.

I can tell you what it takes, winning & stability that’s all he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So go sell him a vision and a plan. Right now the Hawks look heaps closer to a flag than us and I can't even tell you what we are doing. Are we going to bottom out? Are we planning on a flag before the old guys retire?

I'm not even sure we know what we are doing. Sos and Gubby don't seem to have much going for them. Sos was a bottom out list builder. Gubby was the guy to bring talent in from existing clubs. So far Hill and Hanners who were both set backs seem to be his big wins.

Both have been at clubs with access to heaps of high picked talent. I hope like hell that's not what they are planning for us because we are starting at the worst possible time again. We seem hell bent on getting the dream team from 20 years ago.

I'd feel much more confident finding someone from a currently successful system.

Saints are so shit. Can’t win, no stars, no up and comers.
Would much rather be Hawthorn right now.

Hawthorn right now….

13-48 against Geelong with 15min left in the 2nd qtr.

Injury depleted playing in Geelong. Hawks are a young list with not much depth. As soon as Ginnivan and Sicily were in doubt the odds dropped away significantly. Momentum is based on a feeling as much as results. They feel like they are on the way up like we did when Ratts got us into finals. We feel like we are in a hole with an uncertain future playing dull footy.

Injury depleted playing in Geelong. Hawks are a young list with not much depth. As soon as Ginnivan and Sicily were in doubt the odds dropped away significantly. Momentum is based on a feeling as much as results. They feel like they are on the way up like we did when Ratts got us into finals. We feel like we are in a hole with an uncertain future playing dull footy.
Injury depleted? Not really

If you take out our loss against the bulldogs (when we were coming off 2 games in 11 days and 2 interstate trips and had key injuries and suspensions).

Our average losing margin is 7.5 points and that includes a 38 point loss to Melbourne.

Yes we’re losing, yes our forward connection has been horrendous. But to only lose games by an average 7 points when that commentary is almost WC eagles circa 2022-23 levels, shows it’s not anywhere as bad as many think.

Injury depleted? Not really

If you take out our loss against the bulldogs (when we were coming off 2 games in 11 days and 2 interstate trips and had key injuries and suspensions).

Our average losing margin is 7.5 points and that includes a 38 point loss to Melbourne.

Yes we’re losing, yes our forward connection has been horrendous. But to only lose games by an average 7 points when that commentary is almost WC eagles circa 2022-23 levels, shows it’s not anywhere as bad as many think.

The betting turned when they lost players. They have a thin list but they give off the feeling of momentum and an energetic fun brand to play. If I was a player I'd be looking at them and thinking that they won't be down for long.

St Kilda look rudderless and confusing. We seem to have no plan or vision other than hoping to draft a star by losing players who'll reinforce the Hawks and weaken us.

Sicily is 29, they got no-one coming through?

The betting turned when they lost players. They have a thin list but they give off the feeling of momentum and an energetic fun brand to play. If I was a player I'd be looking at them and thinking that they won't be down for long.

St Kilda look rudderless and confusing. We seem to have no plan or vision other than hoping to draft a star by losing players who'll reinforce the Hawks and weaken us.
lol gringo, ive never seen anyone else have as many excuses for every other team bar the saints, than you.

seems no other team can do any wrong in your eyes, yest st kilda deserve to be crucified for things that havent even happened lol

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I used to watch Tim Allen in the reserves and thought he was going to be a star. Never quite got there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back