VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

He might - but Gus copped a hard tag today & had to battle through it. Which he did. Cleary had a bit more freedom. They both had very good games.

Ladhams was BoG in my view. He was the difference.
Shows that when Ladhams has his head screwed on he can play. Makes all the difference to the two inside mids as well.
Same as in the seniors with Grundy on board.
Gee Hanily is making the most of his opportunity!

Maybe a big call but I would say today almost puts the cloche on Mitchell & Sheldrick for senior footy in 2024, not that I expected them to feature heavily in the run home anyway. But I thought they were really ordinary today, and with the bye next week, by the time they get their next opportunity to mount their cases it will be round 22 and we will be closer to full strength (touch wood!) than we are now. Good luck from there.

Kinda bummed as as fringe players I wanted them to bang that door down, to at least give us more options, and they needed to, but they didn't.

Mitchell especially has to start putting together big, complete performances. Not sure this business of relying on a few razzle dazzle moments a game, with a lot of mediocrity in between, is going to cut it for much longer.

Maybe a big call but I would say today almost puts the cloche on Mitchell & Sheldrick for senior footy in 2024, not that I expected them to feature heavily in the run home anyway. But I thought they were really ordinary today, and with the bye next week, by the time they get their next opportunity to mount their cases it will be round 22 and we will be closer to full strength (touch wood!) than we are now. Good luck from there.
I think Sheldrick would still be a chance if we need an inside mid due to injuries or managing players. He has got the experience of performing well as an AFL midfielder. So I would have him ahead of Cleary and Mitchell.

I think Sheldrick would still be a chance if we need an inside mid due to injuries or managing players. He has got the experience of performing well as an AFL midfielder. So I would have him ahead of Cleary and Mitchell.
He's just not knocking the door down at all. I think he's a fair way off the sort of form that would have Horse backing him in over, say, Parker, Adams or even Mills.

The think i like about Green is he is already showing good uncontested around the ground work that was talked about pre-draft. Once he gets a couple of PS under his belt i feel like he will put the kegs on and able to do alot more ruck and contested work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just not knocking the door down at all. I think he's a fair way off the sort of form that would have Horse backing him in over, say, Parker, Adams or even Mills.
Let's be real. That is an incredibly high bar. I think the thing to take heart from is the fact that Southport thought it was necessary to give him a hard tag.That is quite a complement.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Let's be real. That is an incredibly high bar. I think the thing to take heart from is the fact that Southport thought it was necessary to give him a hard tag.That is quite a complement.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Was there a hard tag? Didn't seem to have a fixed opponent on him from what I saw. He was on Woodcock and Dawson a fair bit, and no way were either of those two tagging him. Manteit was on him for parts and he has been known to tag, but he was also on others like Cleary & Mitchell at various points.

The think i like about Green is he is already showing good uncontested around the ground work that was talked about pre-draft. Once he gets a couple of PS under his belt i feel like he will put the kegs on and able to do alot more ruck and contested work
Its pretty clear he is serving his apprenticeship. Plays back, forward, ruck and now on a wing. I think he's had a very good first season but needs to ruck more next year to continue his progression. What this means is one of Ladhams (request a trade) or McAndrew (delist) will most probably move on.

Was there a hard tag? Didn't seem to have a fixed opponent on him from what I saw. He was on Woodcock and Dawson a fair bit, and no way were either of those two tagging him. Manteit was on him for parts and he has been known to tag, but he was also on others like Cleary & Mitchell at various points.
It was a hard tag until mid way through the 3rd quarter.

Gus struggled with the tag, same as he did with Will Phillips two weeks ago. But I think you’re being very harsh C88. 23 disposals & 9 clearances against a quality VFL side isn’t a bad day.

Cleary & Ladhams were certainly very good (our best), but I think if Gus & Sid had been as poor as you say, we don’t win.

I thought it was a terrific effort all-round. Aside from Ladhams, our midfield was basically a bunch of 19 & 20 year olds up against seasoned players, some of whom have AFL experience.

Its pretty clear he is serving his apprenticeship. Plays back, forward, ruck and now on a wing. I think he's had a very good first season but needs to ruck more next year to continue his progression. What this means is one of Ladhams (request a trade) or McAndrew (delist) will most probably move on.
Im starting to think that McAndrew goes this year because he just can't dispose of it well enough. Even after he kicked his goal earlier today he was still using it at 33%

It was a hard tag until mid way through the 3rd quarter.

Gus struggled with the tag, same as he did with Will Phillips two weeks ago. But I think you’re being very harsh C88. 23 disposals & 9 clearances against a quality VFL side isn’t a bad day.

Cleary & Ladhams were certainly very good (our best), but I think if Gus & Sid had been as poor as you say, we don’t win.

I thought it was a terrific effort all-round. Aside from Ladhams, our midfield was basically a bunch of 19 & 20 year olds up against seasoned players, some of whom have AFL experience.
I don't think Sheldrick & Mitchell were awful, but I was still underwhelmed by their performances for where they should be at (ie. banging the door down.) I'm a huge Cleary fan as I've made no secret of, but I didn't go in today hoping for a Cleary clinic, nor a Hanily clinic, as they are very young guys I can't see being a factor in the back end of this season. (Obviously not complaining that they both had good games!)

I was hoping for a clinic from the boys in that level above them - Sheldrick, Mitchell, Hamling. And I didn't really get it, besides Ladhams. So when I say I was disappointed, it's more from that angle, not that they were terrible.

I don't think Sheldrick & Mitchell were awful, but I was still underwhelmed by their performances for where they should be at (ie. banging the door down.) I'm a huge Cleary fan as I've made no secret of, but I didn't go in today hoping for a Cleary clinic, nor a Hanily clinic, as they are very young guys I can't see being a factor in the back end of this season.

I was hoping for a clinic from the boys in that level above them - Sheldrick, Mitchell, Hamling. And I didn't really get it, besides Ladhams. So when I say I was disappointed, it's more from that angle, not that they were terrible.
Tbf Hamling couldn't do much because it was always 2 on 1 and the entries inside 50 were horrific for a while

Tbf Hamling couldn't do much because it was always 2 on 1 and the entries inside 50 were horrific for a while
Whilst that is true, and he had my sympathies for most of the day, by the fourth quarter he got repeat looks at it (two of them courtesy of Matty Lloyd) and he sprayed both of them.

I realise I'm nit-picking here and probably sound like a negative nelly who needs to STFU after a great win. But Hamling not taking his opportunities and Sheldrick's ball use not being great and Mitchell having so many costly errors is the difference between this win being huge for our senior depth, and us lamenting how no one's putting their hand up for selection later in the week if it goes south for the seniors tomorrow.

Whilst that is true, and he had my sympathies for most of the day, by the fourth quarter he got repeat looks at it (two of them courtesy of Matty Lloyd) and he sprayed both of them.

I realise I'm nit-picking here and probably sound like a negative nelly who needs to STFU after a great win. But Hamling not taking his opportunities and Sheldrick's ball use not being great and Mitchell having so many costly errors is the difference between this win being huge for our senior depth, and us lamenting how no one's putting their hand up for selection later in the week if it goes south for the seniors tomorrow.
You know you have butchered the ball if McAndrew has a better DE than you do. McAndrew 50%, Sheldrick 45.5%

That was a hard tag. Scragging him at almost every opportunity.

From VFL's "Around the state leagues":

Veteran ruckman Peter Ladhams reminded everyone he's still around, kicking three goals from 18 disposals and 24 hitouts in the Swans' 24-point win over Southport on Saturday.

Mid-season recruit Tom Hanily kicked two goals from 12 touches, Jaiden Magor slotted one from 15 disposals, and former Bulldog and Docker Joel Hamling also kicked one from 13 touches.

Caiden Cleary was Sydney's biggest ballwinner with 30 disposals, Angus Sheldrick was busy with 23 and a team-high nine clearances, Caleb Mitchell had 19 touches, and Cooper Vickery 17.

Indhi Kirk got amongst it with 16 disposals and eight marks, Will Edwards had 15 touches, while Will Green kicked a goal to go with 11 disposals.

Other Swans in action included Lachlan McAndrew (seven disposals, 14 hitouts, one goal) and Harry Arnold (12 disposals).

Full article: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1179222/around-the-state-leagues-giants-high-five-sun-fires-eagle-stars

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back