VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I don't understand is why we draft medium defenders.
Our list going back decades has drafted midfielders and they end up in the backline. Rampe, Roberts, Blakey, Florent, Cunningham. Same happens in the forwards. Corey, Cleary, Parker, JJ. Swans stack the backline and forwards with mids. Why do we waste draft picks on medium defenders like Magor and Vickery?
I think this is a bit of a generalisation though.

I'm not sure I'd call Roberts, Florent, Warner Jr., Cleary or Parker (who has been a mid for the last decade and only just now spending more time forward) success stories as midfielders-turned-small defenders or forwards.

Not at this stage anyway.

Why do we waste draft picks on medium defenders like Magor and Vickery?
We don't.

Magor was a medium fwd/inside mid.

Vickery was a half back/wing.

Both had role changes after coming to us, Vickery some one-on-one defending.

Edit: Though I'm not against it tbh. Get needs however you can.

Last edited:
Totally agree about the accountability. The coach was Cameron's appointment and reports to him, not Horse.
IIRC Truslove was on his way back to Vic after the Giants dispensed with his services and Cameron brought him over to the Swans.
I wonder whether they'll contemplate a new coach this off season, if there's one available?

One thing I don't understand is why we draft medium defenders.
Our list going back decades has drafted midfielders and they end up in the backline. Rampe, Roberts, Blakey, Florent, Cunningham. Same happens in the forwards. Corey, Cleary, Parker, JJ. Swans stack the backline and forwards with mids. Why do we waste draft picks on medium defenders like Magor and Vickery?
Mids as you say and forwards like McCartin, Grundy, Richards and Blakey. It is interesting.
I kind of like getting Edwards who is definitely a KPD and Snell who is bigger than the names you mention (194cm) but looks more like a third tall than a KPD.
I'm hoping that our backline gets taller and a bit bigger.

I think a lot of valid points made on this thread in the last 48 hours or so.

My 2 cents is that the team has grown together in the last 3 years and we haven't seen someone break through because of the good old stick with the current youngsters to get games under their belt.

Also think it has to be said that the main issues with the squad for the last couple of years has constantly been KP players across D-R-F so we have drafted heavily in that area as well (in the 2020s we have drafted McDonald, McAndrew, Edwards, Owen, Arnold, Buller, Green and Snell).

Thats 8 guys in 3 1/2 years and we are expected to grab 2-3 in that area again in the draft.

Given also that it is common acceptance that KP players take longer to develop i just wonder if we had a log jam at the small positions and we had KP's not ready yet and thats why it has felt more underwhelming than it truly should be.

Roberts, Sheldrick and Corey are not best 22 with everyone fit (though you could argue Roberts). IMO they are in the next tier ie AFL quality but fringe. Thereabouts. Mitchell close. Cleary getting closish.
It would be great to know which of those last three it is for the guys not making it. We invest a lot of time, effort and money to delist someone.
Haven't you been watching Roberts !

We used to pat ourselves on the back as a club that was second to none in recognising and developing talent. If that was ever true (I am not convinced) I don't believe it is now.
The draft:
We bypassed Weddle to take Konstanty, plucked Vickery from obscurity, Mitchell at least had decent physical attributes and rookied Magor because we were surprised no-one took him. Seriously?
We picked skinny flankers, a fat defender and a one dimensional midfielder who turned into gold.
Sheldrick, Roberts and Corey are thereabouts.
Last year's look the goods.
But all in all we haven't done all that well.
Development:
Who has surprised us with their improvement?
Cleary. That's it since Chad IMO. The others are where they should be or worse.
My theory with the 2022 draft is that we deliberately picked long term prospects. Because we had just made a grand final and had a strong side that would be hard for a young player to get immediate opportunities in. Now a lot of them will get delisted because of how tight our list spots are.

Though I have seen improvement in those players in the 2nd half of this season. And they would have kept developing if we had them for a 3rd season.

Even looking at the 2021 draft 12 months ago. I thought Roberts was just going to be a tough reliable inside mid. I did not think he was a good kick, had composure or could play in defence. Corey Warner is just starting to now look comfortable at AFL level. Although of the other players, Sheldrick had a lost year with his injury and Rankin and Hall-Kahan were delisted.

So I think the young players still need development time and AFL opportunities. For example, I had thought Caiden Cleary was not very effective as a forward in his previous sub appearance. So it completely surprised me that he was one of our best forwards against Essendon.

Despite the criticism of Konstanty. With Papley injured and Wicks out of form. I think he would have done better than expected in the AFL forward line if he got a chance as a small forward recently. But he got injured at a bad time and missed his opportunity.

Last edited:
Interestingly, there's been no update on why Vickery wasn't playing in last weekend's game...
Maybe this is also why it feels like so many of the VFL players are part of another club, kinda adjacent to ours but not really one in the same.

We barely hear from or see any of them.

Can anyone remember a single interview with Vickery? Magor? McAndrew? Konstanty?

They're barely sighted in the training galleries, and the only times they make an appearance on social media is when the Swans Reserves account posts pictures of them, further reinforcing the 'otherness' of them.

And as you've made reference to here, they drop in and out of VFL team selection with various injuries that are often overlooked or unexplained until weeks after the fact.

I honestly can't remember a time where the squad felt so divided (in a footballing sense, not in a personal sense.)

Maybe this is also why it feels like so many of the VFL players are part of another club, kinda adjacent to ours but not really one in the same.

Can anyone remember a single interview with Vickery? Magor? McAndrew? Konstanty?

They're barely sighted in the training galleries, and the only times they make an appearance on social media is when the Swans Reserves account posts pictures of them, further reinforcing the 'otherness' of them.

And as you've made reference to here, they drop in and out of VFL team selection with various injuries that are often overlooked or unexplained until weeks after the fact.

I honestly can't remember a time where the squad felt so divided (in a footballing sense, not in a personal sense.)
100% agree with all above. The division is stark.

The last time I heard from the 2022 group (specifically Konstanty, Vickery, Magor, Edwards) was their 2022 post draft intro video: https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/vide...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1669955080001

Agree 💯. Every survey I comment on the lack of club support for the VFL program. P*ssing into the wind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.standard.net.au/story/8737467/

Former AFL player to make long-awaited Hampden league debut for contender​

Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes
Journalist. Published 21 August 2024, 04:11 PM
6259e138ea467760421a348225822f37.jpeg
Former GWS Giant Nick Shipley will debut for Terang Mortlake on Saturday. Picture by Getty Images

Why do the ressies have to play on Tramway Oval and the girls play a praccy match on the SCG !

Any ideas anyone , it's strange

A bit unfair on the VFL team , along with experience for some playing on the SCG

What's strange? It's a top level team compared to a reserves team (albeit it's also a practice match v a real match). AFLW has more interest (better crowds, better audiences) than VFL does.

It also comes across as a bit of a dinosaur comment when you say "unfair". I think it's more a reflection of your own personal tastes. Plenty of others would rather see Morphett and Privitelli and Collier and Bullas return from injury and hope for Ham to breakout and dominate the AFLW world in just her third season.

What's strange? It's a top level team compared to a reserves team (albeit it's also a practice match v a real match). AFLW has more interest (better crowds, better audiences) than VFL does.

It also comes across as a bit of a dinosaur comment when you say "unfair". I think it's more a reflection of your own personal tastes. Plenty of others would rather see Morphett and Privitelli and Collier and Bullas return from injury and hope for Ham to breakout and dominate the AFLW world in just her third season.
Thanks for the reply to a post over a week ago .
Why is it a Dinosaur comment , i was asking why 1 WAS ON THE OUTSIDE GROUND AND 1 WAS ON THE SCG FOR A PRACTICE MATCH .
At this stage of the season i have more interest in those that might put their hands up to be an option in the AFL thanks

My review of our season, not sure how comprehensive this will be.

Overall it was disappointing. Despite relatively few injuries, we didn't make finals. Drawing the reigning premiers and a win against Footscray were probably among our best results.

What was achieved?

* we discovered we have a couple of promising key defenders in Edwards and Snell

* we got to look some more at youngsters like Mitchell, Vickery, Konstanty, Magor, Kirk, and, latterly, Hanily and Arnold, although what we learned was unclear. None of them looked terrible but, with the possible exception of Mitchell, none really broke out. It seems that probably Konstanty, and probably others too, will not be on the list next year.

* we built our KPP depth by adding Hamling (who turned into a welcome revelation playing forward) and hopefully Buller comes back better next year with a proper pre-season under his belt

* Francis was excellent intercepting and rebounding down back all year. Probably our best VFL player from our AFL list. Ben Edwards would have been our best VFL-listed player.

* we began our development of Will Green who, to me, looks like an exciting prospect for a couple of seasons time. Hopefully there can be a smooth passing of the baton from Grundy to Greeny.

* we had some great signings for our VFL list, most especially Ben Edwards andMatt Lloyd was great later in the season. Beyond them, Phil Moi Moi had his moments, Byron Laws exceeded expectations, Geddes was reliable and industrious.

* we got a few games into young Academy prospects (primarily Cochran and Harrison)

* we discovered James Lugsdin can play at VFL level, although I'm not holding my breath for him to make it on to an AFL list.

Some less positive developments:

* Will Kelly was something of a bust.

* What happened to Charlie McCartin?

* Sheldrick's season was blighted by injury (again!)

Hopefully others can add more?

My review of our season, not sure how comprehensive this will be.

Overall it was disappointing. Despite relatively few injuries, we didn't make finals. Drawing the reigning premiers and a win against Footscray were probably among our best results.

What was achieved?

* we discovered we have a couple of promising key defenders in Edwards and Snell

* we got to look some more at youngsters like Mitchell, Vickery, Konstanty, Magor, Kirk, and, latterly, Hanily and Arnold, although what we learned was unclear. None of them looked terrible but, with the possible exception of Mitchell, none really broke out. It seems that probably Konstanty, and probably others too, will not be on the list next year.

* we built our KPP depth by adding Hamling (who turned into a welcome revelation playing forward) and hopefully Buller comes back better next year with a proper pre-season under his belt

* Francis was excellent intercepting and rebounding down back all year. Probably our best VFL player from our AFL list. Ben Edwards would have been our best VFL-listed player.

* we began our development of Will Green who, to me, looks like an exciting prospect for a couple of seasons time. Hopefully there can be a smooth passing of the baton from Grundy to Greeny.

* we had some great signings for our VFL list, most especially Ben Edwards andMatt Lloyd was great later in the season. Beyond them, Phil Moi Moi had his moments, Byron Laws exceeded expectations, Geddes was reliable and industrious.

* we got a few games into young Academy prospects (primarily Cochran and Harrison)

* we discovered James Lugsdin can play at VFL level, although I'm not holding my breath for him to make it on to an AFL list.

Some less positive developments:

* Will Kelly was something of a bust.

* What happened to Charlie McCartin?

* Sheldrick's season was blighted by injury (again!)

Hopefully others can add more?
Busted record time. I failed to see significant progress in team or personal skill development. Not enough resources? Coach(es)? Cattle? All of the above? Impossible to know as an outsider but I find it desperately disappointing.
CoWarner, Mitchell and Cleary got seniors game time but only Cleary looked as if he may have made significant strides in a short period.

Even Mitchell whilst he broke out compared to his first year, I just don’t know whether he has any stand out attributes that will see him succeed at the next level.

The fact his debut was back in round 4/5 and his VFL season wasn’t interrupted yet played no more games doesn’t bode that well for him. There is no guarantee we give him another contract.

(Only played 3 minutes in Round 5)

Even Mitchell whilst he broke out compared to his first year, I just don’t know whether he has any stand out attributes that will see him succeed at the next level.

The fact his debut was back in round 4/5 and his VFL season wasn’t interrupted yet played no more games doesn’t bode that well for him. There is no guarantee we give him another contract.

(Only played 3 minutes in Round 5)
Mitchell's form tailed off as the season went on, especially given how he started the year on fire.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back