List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheils is probably the one pushing it. He would definitely help steel out and that would be a good thing, he can’t keep getting bashed every week. As long as it doesn’t cost us anything then I’m happy to take him.
Averaging 27 disposals across the last fortnight since returning to the injector side.

Still delivering at a level higher than anybody not named Steele at the saints in that midfield group.

We can’t just go down a full youth track as we still need to use and manage our cap.

We can’t let Battle walk and then trade pick 5 for another player. It doesn’t improve the situation. So you need to keep building the arsenal of top rated kids and ensuring their is senior bodies who they have to overcome for games and aid in their development.

As supporters we need to remain balanced when assessing the actions this offseason.

What is the goal. How does this help us achieve it.

Averaging 27 disposals across the last fortnight since returning to the injector side.

Still delivering at a level higher than anybody not named Steele at the saints in that midfield group.

We can’t just go down a full youth track as we still need to use and manage our cap.

We can’t let Battle walk and then trade pick 5 for another player. It doesn’t improve the situation. So you need to keep building the arsenal of top rated kids and ensuring their is senior bodies who they have to overcome for games and aid in their development.

As supporters we need to remain balanced when assessing the actions this offseason.

Doe's this theory also apply to Hawthorn, have you seen the age of that M/F group.

Out goes Ross Jones Battle and Membrey and possibly an injured Crouch for Sheil and Oliver and 2 extra first round draft picks and removal of surplus salary cap for a year or two has its appeal.

Surely Lobb with come with extra compensation like 2rdp.

We could potentially have 5 picks in the first 30 in a deep but even draft...solves the issue heading into Tasmania compromised drafts.

Agree with Shiel and Lobb who are vomit producing bit like Cordy until he kicked a couple of goals last year and we were celebrating hard..

I think Membrey Crouch and Ross add little in 2025 whereas Lobb Shiel and Oliver do add more...so what's the issue?

What's a little vomit between friends....not my ideal scenario.... but watching 5 young players develop in addition to NWM Pou Wilson reminds me of watching a young Dal Clarke BJ Moose Luke Ball and even Monty play and you get that tingling feeling something good is happening at our club.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doe's this theory also apply to Hawthorn, have you seen the age of that M/F group.
2 x 18 year old mids won’t be taking us to the promise land in 2025 unless we hit the actual ****ing jackpot- which going by our history says we won’t.

No one here and I don’t believe the club, wants to “rebuild” and settle for another bottom 5 finish next year.

So you have to balance what you are doing - which is build correctly and that involves supporting that group with elder statesmen that still are contributing at AFL level.

Irrespective of our biases towards those potential recruits.

Newcombe 23
Worpel 25
Day 23
Nash 26
Cmac 20

Find me 3 mids for us as good as those 3 and I’ll feel similar about what we need and the balance that comes with that.

giphy.gif

2 x 18 year old mids won’t be taking us to the promise land in 2025 unless we hit the actual ****ing jackpot- which going by our history says we won’t.

No one here and I don’t believe the club, wants to “rebuild” and settle for another bottom 5 finish next year.

So you have to balance what you are doing - which is build correctly and that involves supporting that group with elder statesmen that still are contributing at AFL level.

Irrespective of our biases towards those potential recruits.

Newcombe 23
Worpel 25
Day 23
Nash 26
Cmac 20

Find me 3 mids for us as good as those 3 and I’ll feel similar about what we need and the balance that comes with that.
Unexplored personel in Owens,Windhager (not as a tagger), then you can add 1 from another club like Davies from GC 190cm bull.

Where's the story coming from on Oliver haven't heard anything like that.
Melbourne are looking to salary dump but still think Oliver can get them additional capital.
Others (17 other clubs) not too sure about that.
As BigMonty said if we got Sheil and decent capital, Oliver and decent capital, and Lobb for the lols, we could end up with 3 or 4 frdps, a couple of seconds and some coverage for our delisted/retirements/UFA's.

I am sure in the fullness of time people will go into revionist mode and say we were topping up.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unexplored personel in Owens,Windhager (not as a tagger), then you can add 1 from another club like Davies from GC 190cm bull.
Thats hopeful and nowhere near in the ball park as the 3 I highlighted from the Hawks.

At this point.

Owens is a forward and will probably continue in that Jake Stringer Mould.

Windhager looks a solid citizen - doesn’t look at current to have that midfield star potential. But it’s still early.

Pou looks like he has that star ability and the figjam mindset to do it. But still very young.

Adding some other cast off - but younger is just adding more of a question mark to that group and not giving us something concrete that we can bank on.

We will likely add 2 top 6 picks to this list. Heaps to be excited about. Disappointing that it’s going slower than what we would all like. But you have to hit these drafts before Tassie cleans up for a few years.

Our biggest asset is the cap space. Let’s see how they use it.

Outside of that, it’s splitting one of those early picks and I can’t see how that helps unless it’s to the suns for their first 2 picks.

Beyond those 2 means, it’s Steele & Marshall and that’s not an avenue I would want to go without a very clear and public plan that everyone who is involved with - is accountable too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out goes Ross Jones Battle and Membrey and possibly an injured Crouch for Sheil and Oliver and 2 extra first round draft picks and removal of surplus salary cap for a year or two has its

Melbourne are looking to salary dump but still think Oliver can get them additional capital.
Others (17 other clubs) not too sure about that.
As BigMonty said if we got Sheil and decent capital, Oliver and decent capital, and Lobb for the lols, we could end up with 3 or 4 frdps, a couple of seconds and some coverage for our delisted/retirements/UFA's.

I am sure in the fullness of time people will go into revionist mode and say we were topping up.

Why would be Essendon be giving up capital with a player like Shiel with 1 yr left. That would imply they are at risk of being over the cap next year. Can’t see that a reality.
Also, can’t see much being offered up with Lobb, particularly if there are multiple clubs interested. Maybe a 3rd or 4th round.
Also, I sure as hell can’t see the dees giving up a 1st rounder to get rid of Oliver.

Why would be Essendon be giving up capital with a player like Shiel with 1 yr left. That would imply they are at risk of being over the cap next year. Can’t see that a reality.
Also, can’t see much being offered up with Lobb, particularly if there are multiple clubs interested. Maybe a 3rd or 4th round.
Also, I sure as hell can’t see the dees giving up a 1st rounder to get rid of Oliver.
Who knows. It is just forum discussion. Hardly anything discussed ever happens.

Thats hopeful and nowhere near in the ball park as the 3 I highlighted from the Hawks.

At this point.

Owens is a forward and will probably continue in that Jake Stringer Mould.

Windhager looks a solid citizen - doesn’t look at current to have that midfield star potential. But it’s still early.

Pou looks like he has that star ability and the figjam mindset to do it. But still very young.

Adding some other cast off - but younger is just adding more of a question mark to that group and not giving us something concrete that we can bank on.

We will likely add 2 top 6 picks to this list. Heaps to be excited about. Disappointing that it’s going slower than what we would all like. But you have to hit these drafts before Tassie cleans up for a few years.

Our biggest asset is the cap space. Let’s see how they use it.

Outside of that, it’s splitting one of those early picks and I can’t see how that helps unless it’s to the suns for their first 2 picks.

Beyond those 2 means, it’s Steele & Marshall and that’s not an avenue I would want to go without a very clear and public plan that everyone who is involved with - is accountable too.
Not disagreeing with you but we still haven't explored Owens as a mid, his forward craft stinks & he's shown when in middle he can win his own ball & obviously wants to play in there otherwise Gettable wouldn't of mention him maybe looking around in 2025.

Windhager needs to have the shackles broken off as he also looks as though tagging is holding his progress back.

Agree we need to fill the gap but at 31yo the cliff comes quickly eg Seb Ross. Surely we can find a younger fringe player who has a future?

Last edited:
Agree we need to fill the gap but at 31yo the cliff comes quickly, surely we can find a younger fringe player who has a future?
And the younger they are the more that asset costs.

As I said. You have to balance the cost against the job the player is coming in to do.

Shiel comes in on a 1 or 2 year deal. No obligation to play. Costs minimal

Remember, our asset hand at current:

P4, 25, 45, 78.

We are anticipating to add P5 to the above.

Membrey Paton Jones Ross and potentially Howard are the exits who may hold some sort of currency.

So when people scream they want better and younger. What are we willing to part with? Because most won’t be keen parting with our potential first 3 picks which hypothetically would be:

4, 5, 26

And the younger they are the more that asset costs.

As I said. You have to balance the cost against the job the player is coming in to do.

Shiel comes in on a 1 or 2 year deal. No obligation to play. Costs minimal

Remember, our asset hand at current:

P4, 25, 45, 78.

We are anticipating to add P5 to the above.

Membrey Paton Jones Ross and potentially Howard are the exits who may hold some sort of currency.

So when people scream they want better and younger. What are we willing to part with? Because most won’t be keen parting with our potential first 3 picks which hypothetically would be:

4, 5, 26

Losing Battle and Howard puts us in 2012-2013 territory (Tom Simpkin and Rhys Stanley down back) in terms of viable tall defenders. Surely it's one or the other (not both) leaving.

Losing Battle and Howard puts us in 2012-2013 territory (Tom Simpkin and Rhys Stanley down back) in terms of viable tall defenders. Surely it's one or the other (not both) leaving.
They have plans and a desire to bring in another key back - whether that means with or for Howard is the part I don’t know.

Can only go off what’s reported with him and that is that we haven’t begun contract talks.

Sounds like we might have a decent Full back prospect on our hands at the draft. So can’t imagine them going after multiple tall backs.

The Dees are exploring and navigating this entire Clayton Oliver situation.

They are approaching clubs with offers that involve Oliver for Player X or Y.

So there belief at current is that he holds positive value still.

What was reported the other night was implying he had a negative trade value and they would need to attach an asset (first round pick) to move Oliver and his salary to a club.

That is yet to be seen as accurate right now. But if it was, only a few clubs would have the cap space to make such a deal.

We would be one.

They have plans and a desire to bring in another key back - whether that means with or for Howard is the part I don’t know.

Can only go off what’s reported with him and that is that we haven’t begun contract talks.

Sounds like we might have a decent Full back prospect on our hands at the draft. So can’t imagine them going after multiple tall backs.

I understand, but again losing both of them at the same time would represent a clear step backward. Those key backs in the past (veterans) who we've brought in have tended to be more your Luke Delaney/Nathan Brown types. I'd just rather re-sign Howard, but understand that Battle is the first domino to fall.

Wilkie would be all that was left as a proven tall defender. We'd be pinning a lot of hopes of being competitive in 2025 on a journeyman type from another club, draftees or converted tall running types (NWM, Arie).

If we can't get Parker then yeah I'm ok with this after my initial reaction of disgust

If we could somehow turn Paton into Shiel (they're probably worth similar values on the market) then I think it's a solid move

I understand, but again losing both of them at the same time would represent a clear step backward. Those key backs in the past (veterans) who we've brought in have tended to be more your Luke Delaney/Nathan Brown types. I'd just rather re-sign Howard, but understand that Battle is the first domino to fall.

Wilkie would be all that was left as a proven tall defender. We'd be pinning a lot of hopes of being competitive in 2025 on a journeyman type from another club, draftees or converted tall running types (NWM, Arie).
Howard has been better this year. We would still have Cordy listed.

Just my belief from things I’ve seen and heard.

I don’t think the coaching group are sold on Howard. Which is why he has been shopped for 18 months.

He isn’t shit. But he is frustrating and he gets beaten too often for a Ross Lyon lynchpin defender.

SOS is very much a list manager in the value vs output/contract type of view.

Did it with Gresham.
Battle will fall under a similar opinion.

Howard could aswell at the right price. You would have to imagine it’s a top 25 pick to move on from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back