List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kind of surprised when I saw it don’t think anyone would want him
Have just edited my post to give some more background if you want to go back and read it.

They have to be kidding, don’t they? After our Hanners experiment.
Hopefully just the silly season starting early.

I was kind of surprised when I saw it don’t think anyone would want him
We showed interest last trade period, but Dildoro wanted the Gresham pick and we take all of Sheil's salary. We said lol.

Cleary just throwing darts.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

So we are 'letting' Battle walk?
Or is he being 'culled'?

Have heard this emotive stuff on this forum.

1. Battle is UFA, there is no option regarding 'letting' him go. We can't match.
2. We are not 'culling' Battle he is being offered 6 years well over 800-850 a year.

If Hawthorn offers 900 a year, is Battle really worth that amount, especially if we get pick 5.

I would prefer to keep Battle, but he is not Bont, or Harley Reid or even Weitering, you can't keep him at any price.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

On Triple-M Jay Clark intimated that Hawthorn was offering Battle close to $1m a year for 6 years. Definitely band 1 compensation (draft pick paired to the club’s first round pick).

I love Josh Battle, but that offer from Hawthorn is way over the odds. We can’t and won’t match that.

We all wish him well at his new club.

Since it hasn’t been mentioned yet thought I will share

qNxIJsE.gif

I have no issue grabbing Shiel for a year or two.

We’re going to lose Zac Jones, Crouch and potentially Seb Ross that’s a lot of depth out yet again. We’ve seen this season the battle with injuries and having to replace them with guys who aren’t ready.

Age aside, Shiel is an AFL footballer with a lot of experience who will add talent and depth to our midfield.

Problem is the AFL tried a bunch of setups to get northern states talent before this and none of the others worked at all really. Club academies is a hugely better system for their goal of stealing NSW and Qld talent. But then other clubs complained so they gave everyone academies and that’s really where the rot started.
I understand. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t exist. I’m saying it shouldn’t be that the clubs get access to players. Rather they should just be development paths that supplement nab league etc etc.

I have no issue grabbing Shiel for a year or two.

We’re going to lose Zac Jones, Crouch and potentially Seb Ross that’s a lot of depth out yet again. We’ve seen this season the battle with injuries and having to replace them with guys who aren’t ready.

Age aside, Shiel is an AFL footballer with a lot of experience who will add talent and depth to our midfield.
Agree.

Many on here lament that we are not competitive enough to attract quality free agents.

To improve that we need to go to the draft AND make smart value trading decisions which bring us players of Shiels quality.

Shiel would be great to have on the list.

Oliver (if he came with a draft pick) would be great to have also- we'd need to front weight his contract to ensure it doesn't bite us on the back end, however we have the ability to do that.

Lobb is less exciting to me but if Battle left could be a decent stop gap that is an upgrade on Cordy.

Crouch was a free hit with just wages for a few years. Ari was nearly the last pick in the draft.

Like Oliver, Hanners was cooked. He'd been broken down for a couple of years. Oliver is one of the leagues biggest wages for the longest time and he's playing C grade footy. It would be insane to chase him. Since he gave up drugs he turned to shit.

Taking players is good business. Signing big names with serious issues rarely works.

I was keen on De Goey because his form was good and issues were minimal. Collingwood chase low profile high output recruits and seems to work better.
Oliver's C grade footy walks into our starting midfield. With potential upside.

Worst case, Oliver takes up some front loaded salary cap, doesn't perform but we get another 1st round draft pick for him.

If we left this trade period with

3 X first round draft picks (Inc our own)
Oliver
Shiel

And all we had to give up was
Battle
Salary cap
And a 2nd/3rd round pick

I'd be beyond ecstatic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t exist. I’m saying it shouldn’t be that the clubs get access to players. Rather they should just be development paths that supplement nab league etc etc.

I assume the theory is that if the clubs don’t get preferential access, they won’t bother to actually develop the players. Like they’ll run an academy in name but it’ll be a bit shit because they won’t care about it. Actually wasn’t this the system before the current one?

I don’t really understand the Shiel attraction.
Is the guy contracted? And we’d likely get a pick as a salary dump?
You would not want to spend ANY draft capital on him. And I haven’t heard much of his leadership qualities. He’d likely just take games and time away from developing young midfielders. He’s nearly always injured and his kicking is worse then Seb Ross

I assume the theory is that if the clubs don’t get preferential access, they won’t bother to actually develop the players. Like they’ll run an academy in name but it’ll be a bit shit because they won’t care about it. Actually wasn’t this the system before the current one?
The easy answer is the AFL should employ development coaches to run these academy's for the sole purpose of giving them the best oppurtunity to play AFL & those players should go into the open draft for all clubs, irrespective of where these players are based the objective is for them to play AFL & not slip through the cracks.

Develop NGA/Academy should be taken out of clubs hands there is enough quality coaches out there to run it.

Not exactly thrilled with the Shiel link but Steele needs a mature mid to help him. It's not sustainable for it to be him, a bunch of kids still learning the position and a 26 year old struggles to play over 62% game time.

Not exactly thrilled with the Shiel link but Steele needs a mature mid to help him. It's not sustainable for it to be him, a bunch of kids still learning the position and a 26 year old struggles to play over 62% game time.
Sheils is probably the one pushing it. He would definitely help steel out and that would be a good thing, he can’t keep getting bashed every week. As long as it doesn’t cost us anything then I’m happy to take him.

Shiel had his chance to come to us, thank god he didn't, we would of lost max king. Don't come crawling back now champ. I'd rather hold onto Seb for another 12 months as a leader, then give a contract to this mercenary.

he’d be our second most productive midfielder and he’ll cost next to nothing at the trade table.
If he doesn’t get on the park, we have the same issue we do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back