List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, if it is Shiel or similar it is a no brainer. Minimal pick collateral in return for off field and training leadership and an on field general, especially considering our midfield group is void of experience and quality.

Do I expect a player like Shiel to play every match, absolutely not. That is the expectation is for the younger players.
Shiel now an “on field general “?????
Come on 🌈

I look forward to the Shiel contract purchase coming with a plethora of additional picks attached….
That and Dylan sitting in the stands for 12 -15 games …
I’ve not seen 1 skerick of leadership and so called “on field general” traits that Shiel brings that suddenly makes young Bombers walk taller.
I think a balanced mindset also entails being open to the club just simply making a dumb decision and not swallowing or trying to argue that decision away.

Let’s see how this plays out.

Right now it smacks of a desperate cellar dweller just wanting to land someone…..anyone…..and we’ve been down this road with Shiel before….
There is literally nothing on the market outside of players like Shiel (age injury history form etc) that we can land without using considerable assets.

We tried using free agency and didn’t land anyone whilst flashing the cash.

So it’s literally about building draft collateral from here.

Remember it’s highly likely we exit experienced players from our list.

By doing so there is a likelihood we struggle next season - because of a very inexperienced midfield.

Thats the flipside to people hating the idea of the likes of Shiel/macrae/some other old fart.
I don’t think anyone objects to wrapping some experience around our kids
But don’t get another Hannerbury that can’t get on the park ffs Shiel is cooked
At McRae can get out there ….go hard at Parker ….be strategic about it not desperate

I don’t think anyone objects to wrapping some experience around our kids
But don’t get another Hannerbury that can’t get on the park ffs Shiel is cooked
At McRae can get out there ….go hard at Parker ….be strategic about it not desperate
There is NOTHING that suggests Parker wants to leave.

Macrae is also barely getting a game at the dogs at this point and would cost more as he is younger without the injury issues

There is NOTHING that suggests Parker wants to leave.

Macrae is also barely getting a game at the dogs at this point and would cost more as he is younger without the injury issues
With Lobb playing well, Dogs might want to keep him so might be more open to Macrae going to get some money off the books.

With Lobb playing well, Dogs might want to keep him so might be more open to Macrae going to get some money off the books.
Still doesn’t change the fact he would cost more draft capital than Shiel.

They won’t just be dumping Macrae.

Which is where the appeal probably is for Shiel.

A year on the books. Use the cap (contract ends 2025)
Probably our third for their 4th and Shiel gets it done.

( I’m guessing here. )

( I’m guessing here. )
Shiel's been good and important since returning from injury so I dont think he will be given away either.

There is literally nothing on the market outside of players like Shiel (age injury history form etc) that we can land without using considerable assets.

We tried using free agency and didn’t land anyone whilst flashing the cash.

So it’s literally about building draft collateral from here.

Remember it’s highly likely we exit experienced players from our list.
With the possible exception of Pato, we don't have much if any tradebait. Sure maybe Doogs for p35 and we find a replacement for p45 but let's face it. We're skint.

( I’m guessing here. )
In this scenario we are spending more than we are getting. I can’t see the sense in us doing Essendon a favour. Might make sense if Saints got Shiel & Essendon’s 2nd for our 4th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be going near Dylan Shiel, he went missing again tonight when the the whips were cracking.

He would just be another list clogger if we traded him in and knowing the Bombers they would ask too much for him.
Yep spud
Not sure where this “leader of men” to support our kids nonsense comes from
Just dross
I’d rather throw more at a Parker

Now that LDU chase has gone cold are there any other mids we are chasing (and please don’t say Shiel)?
If Collard is out the door, I wouldn't mind asking for Culley in return. He's still young and has upside and I don't think would cost us much. Apart from that, I'd rather us go to the draft for a top end mid, we clearly have the capacity to develop players as we're seeing with Phillipou. I'd back us to do it again with another top 10 talent.

It's the only way forward for us, trying to poach other teams mids hasn't gone well for us and only really came off with Steele who was still young when we picked him up.

What’s this Owens talk on gettable??? If someone offers him midfield time??? Where does this crap cone from ??
NAS - I think we all worry for SA lure…but cmon ..
How pissed would you be watching Owens become a bull mid another club..
It’s all speculative crap

No.

The only marking stat that matters for Battle is intercept marking. Battle is currently 11th in the league with 45.

Wilkie is currently 25th with 40 (showing you how tight it is.)

Best in the league is Harris Andrews with 70.

So in short. It’s good. It’s not great.

That’s the entire problem statement here.

It’s 900K + per season to retain.

Those stats are not worth pick 5 on an open market.
I think you're severely discounting battles impact on the site based on 1 stat.

I don't think we'll get anywhere near the calibre of player with pick 5 and we'll be straight back to market trying to find a CHB for the next 3 years

Let it happen organically is all I'm saying. Retain what we have. If we pay a little over so be it. Then let dalrymple show what he can do in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Shiel now an “on field general “?????
Come on 🌈
I like how you only cherry pick a part of a post?!

Players have bad matches. Not every player will have a high volume and impact on every match. Is this a surprise to you?

As outlined, “Shiel or similar”. We lose Ross and Jones. Our midfield lacks experience and quality until the young group come through. Without midfield experience it will be another North, lambs to the slaughter and we’ll go further backwards. The only reason why we are winning matches this season is because the midfield of other teams are letting us, they play poorly, poor pressure etc.

We typically get smashed around contested and clearance football.

Ok Teflon, where do you think we will pick up midfield experience with out trading away high value picks or players? Which the club has both shown and said they’ll hit the draft.
Especially considering we are neither a big end club or a destination club. So who will come in with minimal assets, low value to trade?

Last edited:
I think you're severely discounting battles impact on the site based on 1 stat.

I don't think we'll get anywhere near the calibre of player with pick 5 and we'll be straight back to market trying to find a CHB for the next 3 years

Let it happen organically is all I'm saying. Retain what we have. If we pay a little over so be it. Then let dalrymple show what he can do in the 2nd and 3rd round.
Mate you are the one who was talking up his general marking stats. I just specified exactly which marking stat matters for a third tall defender. Because it can’t be influenced by our game style.

As for letting it happen organically. Isn’t that happening now?

We have no ability to control the situation. It is what it is at this point.

No matter how good a recruiter. It is harder to nail turning second or third round picks into gun players. Thats why the chances of doing so are so low.

Ultimately, it’s going to be very hard to move into contention by taking our 1 first rounder and trying to nail a free agent.

The draft is the path forward for our club and I’m pretty content that pick 5 is over value for Battle.

Either way I’ll be happy. But we won’t be winning next years flag with or without Battle. The cattle just isn’t there yet and I’m not really in the mood to fall back into past mistakes where we over value our players.

Every other club has shown the path forward involves moving on from good to great footballers. The only club yet to buy into that is west coast. We started last year letting the likes of Gresham go.

If the value exceeds the capability. Then it’s okay if Battle goes too.

Just on Macrae... the Doggies have moved a couple of mids on recently for minimal draft return. Lachie Hunter for example (he had some off field stuff though). They'll be getting draft capital through the door for Bailey Smith (who they've been playing without this year anyway).

I agree he will cost more than Shiel because he is younger and has two years left on his deal. Not sure how much more though.

Just on Macrae... the Doggies have moved a couple of mids on recently for minimal draft return. Lachie Hunter for example (he had some off field stuff though). They'll be getting draft capital through the door for Bailey Smith (who they've been playing without this year anyway).

I agree he will cost more than Shiel because he is younger and has two years left on his deal. Not sure how much more though.
Lachie Hunters off field stuff will have been a huge part of just shipping him out as it directly impacted his form.

The dogs also have a couple of fringe midfielders getting interest.

I think getting Macrae out of there will be harder than people think. It won’t be some token ass end pick. I think they’ll be asking for a second rounder.

Lachie Hunters off field stuff will have been a huge part of just shipping him out as it directly impacted his form.

The dogs also have a couple of fringe midfielders getting interest.

I think getting Macrae out of there will be harder than people think. It won’t be some token ass end pick. I think they’ll be asking for a second rounder.
They've pushed him out of the starting midfield for most games and even started him as sub this week. Not sure they have much of a leg to stand on in a trade if a club is willing to take on his 700k plus contract (which we could easily afford).

They've pushed him out of the starting midfield for most games and even started him as sub this week. Not sure they have much of a leg to stand on in a trade if a club is willing to take on his 700k plus contract (which we could easily afford).
I agree.

But I still don’t think they are just going to take anything on the table and just let him walk away either.

Ultimately it isn’t even the salary that’s the point of discussion here. It’s what cost will it take from our draft hand to get a deal done for a Macrae or a Shiel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back