Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who dominate through size mids/key position/ruck always find it hard moving up from boyz to men.

Those that rely on positioning and smarts adapt quickly. i.e Sheezel

We will have no idea if he's a bust until 2027.

Clutching pearls before that will only damage the necklace, nothing more.

1723181712462.png

People should go back further to the Big H.

Literally one of the most disgraceful excuses for a league footballer you have even seen plying away in Port Melbourne's reserves (i.e AFL 3rds), could barely run a lap at that point either.
I remember watching some of H’s early VFL games. He was embarrassing! But he turned into quite a player when the penny dropped and his body got some miles into it. Didn’t happen overnight.

I do see the logic in keeping Goad out of the ruck. I reckon you could develop some bad habits if you’re physically outmatched every single week but forced to compete in the ruck. Better to wait until he has built at least some of the strength he’ll need. From memory, H slunk around in the forward pocket in his first year.

Rucks take ages to come good. You never hear about them until they have a season where it all comes together.

This applies also to Big H, Goldy, Xerri and the like. They simply take time. Especially ones with very good raw talent and ability but need a few years in the system.

The important thing to remember is that we weren’t reaching for Goad.

The fact the Adelaide would’ve snapped him up at their next pick says all we need to know.

The annoying thing is we’re playing Dawson in the ruck and Goad in the back pocket. That’s not going to help his development.

The fact the Adelaide would’ve snapped him up at their next pick says all we need to know.

The annoying thing is we’re playing Dawson in the ruck and Goad in the back pocket. That’s not going to help his development.
My thoughts exactly aswell. We brought him in as a ruck play him there. If he's not fit enough to do it all game then bring Hayes in from the vfl list who played well the games he did play this season. Goad playing back has been horrible especially with the fact that he often gets caught in possession when he actually does get the ball. At least play him ruck with some forward time and bench time. It doesn't help the team hiding him in he back line whilst Dawson also doesn't get to play his natural position

He's not playing ruck because he get's physically monstered in there currently which we saw in the first half of the year.

It's so easy to be wowed by Xerri's progress and go 'wtf Goad, delist!'

Patience.
Funny hey. Xerri's first pre season was for the 2018 season. I reckon he started to show something like where he is now at AFL level in 2022, but glimpses not consistency.

So 2028 for Goad to start showing something at the level if he follows that roadmap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think there is something there with Goad. Guess North spent an earlier pick on a ruck because X was unsure. But has turned out awesome this year. Could aim for a Teakle spot in the future with his speed.

I remember watching some of H’s early VFL games. He was embarrassing! But he turned into quite a player when the penny dropped and his body got some miles into it. Didn’t happen overnight.

I do see the logic in keeping Goad out of the ruck. I reckon you could develop some bad habits if you’re physically outmatched every single week but forced to compete in the ruck. Better to wait until he has built at least some of the strength he’ll need. From memory, H slunk around in the forward pocket in his first year.
Goad was in the ruck a few times last weekend (i didnt watch the entire game, so not sure how long he spent there). Misjudged a few badly but won a few easily as well.

I thought that throwing Wil Dawson into the ruck turned the game for us. I know VFL Is primarily for player development, but sometimes you just want to win.

I thought Taylor showed a bit more intensity but he is currently too easily out bodied in the ruck. Plenty of time for him to bulk up.

Think there is something there with Goad. Guess North spent an earlier pick on a ruck because X was unsure. But has turned out awesome this year. Could aim for a Teakle spot in the future with his speed.
Yep and you watch the young fella this year in the draft from SA Dodson this year. Another basketball player.
I bet the Crows take him with their 20's pick if another team doesn't take him earlier and he'll be a slow burn because he's a string bean but his u18 form suggests he'll be a beauty. It's the same with Goad, time to add size and fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back