Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Even by BigFooty standards there are some truly moronic posts in this thread.

Anyone labelling a first year ruck a bust has absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

Go look at Max Gawn's first few years in the system peabrains.

Gawn is a genuine comparison to Goad as they are both extremely athletic, stand well over 200cm and were late to commit to AFL.

Gawn was on the outer early when caught smoking on his way to training in 2009. Played a handful of games in his 3rd year and by 2015, by his own admission, he was still languishing in the VFL.

Then all of a sudden, 6 years of pre-seasons and VFL paid off and in his last 10 years he’s made 7x All Australian teams and captained a premiership.

BMTT.

Last edited:

Oh we’re back in this thread are we? Which player is it going to be tomorrow that we wasted an early pick on, hasn’t come on like expected, should have picked another player instead etc.

Captains thread is always near the top

I call him Nail Simpkin

He’s always being hammered for every North ill

Legend. I sat behind him a few years back at the footy. Now, I'm not a big bloke but he was ridiculously tall. He still looked awkward walking around and getting in and out of his seat. 🤣

You can be 5ft and struggle in the top level seats at Colonial Stadium

Gawn is a genuine comparison to Goad as they are both extremely athletic, stand well over 200cm and were late to commit to AFL.

Gawn was on the outer early when caught smoking on his way to training in 2009. Played a handful of games in his 3rd year and by 2015, by his own admission, he was still languishing in the VFL.

Then all of a sudden, 6 years of pre-seasons and VFL paid off and in his last 10 years he’s made 7x All Australian teams and captained a premiership.

BMTT.
We've always been good at identifying ruckman and developing them. Preuss was stuck behind Goldy and left to Melbourne behind Gawn for "more opportunity". That coincided with X being drafted and showing promise in his first year in the VFL. Look how that turned out. Was the same with Hale leaving with Hamish developing, and Hamish leaving with Goldy coming on, and X replacing Goldy. Im not one bit worried about Goad, be patient, in fact I'd prefer he didn't even hit the track till after Christmas, his job till then should be to eat protein and lift weights, and maybe just work on goal kicking.

This whole board continues to support Will Phillips after all these years but prepared to write off this lad is strange behaviour

eye wtf GIF
Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF

BMTT.

Gawn also did a knee or two early right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course patience is required here. But in the mean time we do need a second ruck option in the VFL who is ready to go in case of injury
Agreed - but it's not him.
At the moment it's Teakle. Interested to see how he goes after a full pre-season back at AFL level to see how much more we could get out of him as a 2nd ruck. Was ok given he was thrown straight in.

But would like us to potentially pick up another given Free's gone - agree there.

I still have faith in Goad, as does my old cheese. She’s actually laid up in bed with a blood cloth in her lungs. She’s always had pretty good lungs though, hence why she’s always been a pretty good climber.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back