Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Could end up being a what if player
Ruined by injuries, hope not but a real
Worry that he's had a major hamstring
And knee injury at a young age
Hopefully that's the last of it.
hes done it twice in the 2 years louie has been there

Reckon he will be a future captain, might be even sooner than anticipated if Baker leaves

Ease up. Mark Coughlan looked like he'd be a future Captain. Hall of Famer, Brownlow Medallist the works. We all know what injuries did to his career. I was hoping Gibcus would be the next Gaspar/Rance and play 250+ games. Kid needs luck and no pressure on him. Captains need to be reliable workhorses who rarely miss, not injury prone. Maybe his luck will change like Grimes. Maybe it'll get worse 😳😳

Now with 2 season ending injuries back to back right now would be nice to see him play 100 games and hopefully not too many more serious injuries but odds are against it.

Now that Balta looks a gun in defence and Miller an absolute rock down there where to with this guy?

Can all 3 play down back or are we going to try turn him into a forward?
he wont ever get on the park

Now that Balta looks a gun in defence and Miller an absolute rock down there where to with this guy?

I think the best defences have three talls anyway.

Astbury = Miller
Rance = Balta
Grimes = Gibcus
Vlaustin = Brown

Astbury = Miller
Rance = Balta
Grimes = Gibcus
Vlaustin = Brown
Trezise = Broad
Rioli = Houli
Banks/Smith = Short

Astbury = Miller
Rance = Balta
Grimes = Gibcus
Vlaustin = Brown

Personally I think Young is the new Astbury - very limited player whose role should be as simple as possible ie take the opposition gorilla forward and try to dish the ball off to someone more reliable by foot.

He's had a poor year but we were being hammered big time in the midfield and the backline was constantly under siege. He's a better player than his form this year and having Balta in the backline will help him just like Rance & Grimes helped Astbury.

Astbury = Young
Rance = Balta
Grimes = Brown
Miller is a bonus.

Gibcus may never come good with his body but if he does we may need to explore other options such as forward. He's a great kick. So is Brown. We have the option of trying both of Brown + Gibcus forward thanks to Miller's improvement.

Forward line could be Gibcus, Brown and Lefau maybe. Lefau the powerful bloke who brings it to ground. Gibcus and Brown the more lean hit up forwards.

I've said elsewhere, that I'm not convinced that Balta remains down back long term. If Blight can play his way into the line up, then we could very well go with Miller Blight & Gibcus as the 3 tall options down back and have Balta as the main option up forward replacing Lynch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said elsewhere, that I'm not convinced that Balta remains down back long term. If Blight can play his way into the line up, then we could very well go with Miller Blight & Gibcus as the 3 tall options down back and have Balta as the main option up forward replacing Lynch.
Difference being, Balta is a gun down back and an average forward, and Blight will never be as good as Balta (or most likely Miller or Gibcus). I think Gibcus is more likely the one to swing around, because we haven't had a look at him forward yet.

I think we need another genuine mid sized stopper in the Grimes/Broad mould as opposed to 3 genuine keys but they are hard to find. Grimes was such a gun, Broad very good as well.
Grime’s and Broad seem to be the under appreciated defenders. They have been forced to play as key defenders lately but both are mobile quick and very good marks. Surely Gibcus is the replacement for these two. The keys defenders will be Balta, Miller and either of Young or this new kid Blight when needed. The other one that will end up as a defender is Kosi. We actually seem to have a surplus of kpd’s so maybe Gibcus goes forward but who then replaces Grimes/Broad.

Difference being, Balta is a gun down back and an average forward, and Blight will never be as good as Balta (or most likely Miller or Gibcus). I think Gibcus is more likely the one to swing around, because we haven't had a look at him forward yet.
Agree Balta is a gun down back, but he hasn't truly had the opportunity to prove what he can do up forward due to injury to himself as well has most of the team this year. I believe that Yze is still keen to have a look at him up forward when we're up and running.

Grime’s and Broad seem to be the under appreciated defenders. They have been forced to play as key defenders lately but both are mobile quick and very good marks. Surely Gibcus is the replacement for these two. The keys defenders will be Balta, Miller and either of Young or this new kid Blight when needed. The other one that will end up as a defender is Kosi. We actually seem to have a surplus of kpd’s so maybe Gibcus goes forward but who then replaces Grimes/Broad.

I was just thinking this as well. Like KPD we now have a bit of a surplus of, so much so that someone will probably be unlucky (Young or Blight) to probably be off the list by end of next year, I think Kosi has until 2026 but otherwise would be more in the gun and instead will be given a bit of time to develop as a forward.

If Gibcus can get on the park and develop as a forward, even in tandem with Balta (assuming he can really progress over the next couple of seasons), structurally our list is looking alright. You then have first choice Backman of Miller, Blight Young, maybe Gray as developing there. And for forwards you have Balta, Gibcus, and one of Lefau or Kosi if it can all click.

Happy if we can we get a support team together that can get and keep Gibcus fit enough to string 30 plus games together.

Agree Balta is a gun down back, but he hasn't truly had the opportunity to prove what he can do up forward due to injury to himself as well has most of the team this year. I believe that Yze is still keen to have a look at him up forward when we're up and running.
We had 3 talls in the backline during our flag years in Rance, Asbury, Grimes. Can't see why we couldn't play Balta, Gibcus and Miller in the same backline.

Personally I think Young is the new Astbury - very limited player whose role should be as simple as possible ie take the opposition gorilla forward and try to dish the ball off to someone more reliable by foot.

He's had a poor year but we were being hammered big time in the midfield and the backline was constantly under siege. He's a better player than his form this year and having Balta in the backline will help him just like Rance & Grimes helped Astbury.

Astbury = Young
Rance = Balta
Grimes = Brown
Miller is a bonus.

Gibcus may never come good with his body but if he does we may need to explore other options such as forward. He's a great kick. So is Brown. We have the option of trying both of Brown + Gibcus forward thanks to Miller's improvement.

Forward line could be Gibcus, Brown and Lefau maybe. Lefau the powerful bloke who brings it to ground. Gibcus and Brown the more lean hit up forwards.

Young is a stop gap. So is Lefau.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back