Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way I can explain a early 20s kid having hammy problems for a whole year is mis management. If we are gonna be competitive next year then Yze needs to take a hard look into or medical team
Apparently there was only one documented case of this particular injury in the world before Gibcus copped it.

I wouldn't blame anyone, it's just bad luck.

Last edited:
Gibcus, Balta and Young is our KPDs sorted until 2030. If you have that sorted, don't mess with that IMO. As much as KPFs are attractive and get the media attention and fan attention, premierships are won with elite defences.

Gibcus, Balta and Young is our KPDs sorted until 2030. If you have that sorted, don't mess with that IMO. As much as KPFs are attractive and get the media attention and fan attention, premierships are won with elite defences.

Yeah premiership back six or sevens are more memorable than forward groups.

I remember a pretty good one from 2017.

Yeah premiership back six or sevens are more memorable than forward groups.

I remember a pretty good one from 2017.
I've seen plenty of sides lacking a gun KPF or even a decent forward line win flags, I have never seen a premiership team without a good defense and midfield.

I've seen plenty of sides lacking a gun KPF or even a decent forward line win flags, I have never seen a premiership team without a good defense and midfield.
Richmond's 1980 premiership side had a pretty average defence. An old Francis Bourke, Emmett Dunne, Strauchan, Mount, Smith and Malthouse. No champs there (Bourke was pretty much done, Malthouse was pretty good and Jess played forward). But what a midfield and forward line.

Richmond's 1980 premiership side had a pretty average defence. An old Francis Bourke, Emmett Dunne, Strauchan, Mount, Smith and Malthouse. No champs there (Bourke was pretty much done, Malthouse was pretty good and Jess played forward). But what a midfield and forward line.
That's not comparable to today's game though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not comparable to today's game though.
Maybe, but I'm hoping this season we can let go of the defensive first mindset and be a lot more attacking.

Collingwood just won a flag with an average backline but a very attacking mindset all over the field.

The reason why we won the 2017 GF was because we attacked from the backline, Rance, Houli etc and we surged forward at every opportunity. By the end Hardwick was so scared of losing he couldn't let players play their natural game, the very thing he came back from his trip to America in 2016 foremost in his new game plan. That has never changed in football.

Maybe, but I'm hoping this season we can let go of the defensive first mindset and be a lot more attacking.

Collingwood just won a flag with an average backline but a very attacking mindset all over the field.

The reason why we won the 2017 GF was because we attacked from the backline, Rance, Houli etc and we surged forward at every opportunity. By the end Hardwick was so scared of losing he couldn't let players play their natural game, the very thing he came back from his trip to America in 2016 foremost in his new game plan. That has never changed in football.
100%. We went from applying off-the-charts defensive pressure on all lines, resulting in turnovers that kick started our all-out attacking phase, to just holding defensive patterns with no pressure and no turn overs and just being picked apart.

Was more like:

Malthouse Strachan Dunne
Keane Jess Smith/Bourke

for the bulk of the year.
Jess only went forward in the GF due to an injury concern over Cloke ... they didn't think he'd stand up after missing the qualifying and semi finals.
Not too many small guys or resting rovers wanted to play on Malthouse, I'll guarantee you.
And while he was the whipping biy later on, Strachany was more than solid in that period and actually represented Victoria, so no slouch.
But as someone pointed out - different times back then.
Change was coming and we were exposed in the GF with the likes of Dunne, Jess, Martello and Strachan making us far too top-heavy in the wet.
Mind you, Collingwood's back half wasn't overly endowed with pace in '80. McCormack, Ireland, Byrne, Magro the exception, Stewart and Morris.
Their smalls or smallest players - Byrne, Morris and Magro were all in the twilight of their careers.

2017 memories for me :

1. The real start of Sir Dusty's reign.
2. Premiership 'ruckman' S Grigg.
3. Jack playing sole key forward.
And sitting there with my brother and fellow Richmond die hards like stunned mullets after the siren went.
Numb, very strange feeling. Did that really happen.

Where did the lost years go.

An update would be good, even if it was just a puff piece to say he's overseas and it's going well.

He's overseas and doing well.

That's a puff piece from someone with no idea
pufferfish-inflated-closeup_3x2.jpg

I'll see myself out

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back