Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

He has the highest of footy IQ’s. If you look at his athletic profile there is nothing that immediately stands out, but what he does have is the ability to sum up the game in a fraction of the time it takes others.

It’s the old saying he is playing chess, while the rest of them are playing checkers.

That bit of play in the last two minutes summed him up perfectly. He knew exactly what the Gold Coast player was going to do before the player himself knew. It’s a pity they didn’t kick the winning goal from it, because it was the perfect demonstration of his in game brilliance in one simple act.
We got a sneak preview of his IQ in his 2nd game v Freo, where he toepoked a certain behind away for us to seal the win, not many of his team mates would have done the same, more likely, none.

We got a sneak preview of his IQ in his 2nd game v Freo, where he toepoked a certain behind away for us to seal the win, not many of his team mates would have done the same, more likely, none.
100%. It doesn’t mean the kid isn’t elite athletically, he just processes information on a football field quicker than most which is why he can do what he does.

As I said he knew exactly what the Gold Coast player was going to do before the actual player knew.

He is reading the play possessions earlier and that’s why he is able to accumulate so well, because his brain without knowing it is actually predicting the most probable outcome of where the ball will be. It’s why he doesn’t often get caught out of position.

In a game that is as fast paced as it is at AFL level to have that ability to read/process the play in a split second is the difference between getting there and almost getting there.

100%. It doesn’t mean the kid isn’t elite athletically, he just processes information on a football field quicker than most which is why he can do what he does.

As I said he knew exactly what the Gold Coast player was going to do before the actual player knew.

He is reading the play possessions earlier and that’s why he is able to accumulate so well, because his brain without knowing it is actually predicting the most probable outcome of where the ball will be. It’s why he doesn’t often get caught out of position.

In a game that is as fast paced as it is at AFL level to have that ability to read/process the play in a split second is the difference between getting there and almost getting there.
It’s also why we’ve sucked for so long.

We don’t have enough players with this ability.

The Sheez wants to win. Simples. He's not here to pick up a pay cheque. George is the same. The anti-ice bath clown has done us the biggest favour of all time. I assume that's a prerequisite for any incoming draftee going forward. Get the blokes that ooze determination and an unwavering want to win.

And sheez wants to build something. He doesn't need to go to the top team and share in that success. That's a great mentality!

It’s also why we’ve sucked for so long.

We don’t have enough players with this ability.
There isn’t that many of them around. Pendlebury is the direct comparison and now Daicos.

Ablett Jnr had it as a well.

Other than Daicos the others mentioned won’t necessarily work you over athletically, but they don’t need to when they have already made a decision and placed themselves in the best position to impact the contest, while their opponent is still thinking about what to do next.

A lot if it comes down to having that ability to correctly predict what those around you are going to do in a split second.

It’s not something you can necessarily learn, you either have it or you don’t.

You can sharpen reflexes and improve vision and decision making, but some people just process information quicker which is not something you can really teach.

JJ Redick on NBA podcasts (sorry year of the roo ) has made the point a few times that people should consider IQ as part of what we define as athleticism, because being able to think quicker than your opponent gets you an advantage just like being physically faster or stronger does.

Specifically in reference to whether or not Jokic is an "elite" athlete but the same principle would apply to Sheezel.

Last edited:
JJ Redick on NBA podcasts (sorry year of the roo ) has made the point a few times that people should consider IQ as part of what we define as athleticism, because being able to think quicker than your opponent gets you an advantage just like being physically faster or stronger does.

Specifically in reference to whether or not Jokic is an "elite" athlete but the same principle would apply to Sheezel.
The America! **** yeah! Posts shit me when they're posters trying to transplant elements of US sports or culture into our sport like it has any relevance.

I don't mind this. In fact I agree.

100%

You can call it whatever you want to be honest.

It boils down to one thing and that is the Sheezel when it comes to footy is smarter than 95% of players that play at AFL level.

It’s the old adage, work smarter, not harder. Running more km’s faster doesn’t mean you will increase your output necesarily, but being smart enough to position yourself to get the ball will. You still need to have the athletic ability to get to those spots.

The kid is a footy genius that also has the athletic ability to cash in on that genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%

You can call it whatever you want to be honest.

It boils down to one thing and that is the Sheezel when it comes to footy is smarter than 95% of players that play at AFL level.

It’s the old adage, work smarter, not harder. Running more km’s faster doesn’t mean you will increase your output necesarily, but being smart enough to position yourself to get the ball will. You still need to have the athletic ability to get to those spots.

The kid is a footy genius that also has the athletic ability to cash in on that genius.

I wouldn't say that Harry is in the top 5% of AFL-listed players in terms of football IQ. I would say it's more like the top 5.

I wouldn't say that Harry is in the top 5% of AFL-listed players in terms of football IQ. I would say it's more like the top 5.
It’s hard to quantify. There would be players out there that have high footy IQ’s but don’t have the athletic ability to maximise it, like there are those that have the athletic ability but not the IQ.

Either way you spin it the kid is elite and can do things on a footy field that very few can. It’s even more impressive when you think he hasn’t even reached peak AFL physical maturity and doesn’t have the talent around him yet to make him even better.

Best since Carey? Why King believes Sheezel is the complete package​

North Melbourne great David King believes Harry Sheezel is one of the very best players to walk through the doors at Arden Street.

The second-year star was colossal in the Kangaroos’ four-point victory over Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium on Saturday with 35 disposals, 10 clearances, five inside 50s and a goal.

Sheezel, 19, has played such good footy in his first 39 games for the Roos that King suggested he could just be the best youngster to play for the club since Wayne Carey who was a seven-time All-Australian, four-time best and fairest and two-time premiership captain.

King said on SEN Mornings: “What level of player is Harry Sheezel? Is he All-Australian right now?

“He can play anywhere. He can go half-back, half-forward or on-ball. He’s just starting to get the recognition he deserves.

“I think he’s the best youngster to come to the Kangaroos since Carey.

“There’s been some good ones. Ben Cunnington was a top-liner for a long time, Luke Davies-Uniacke has been a very good player who is just about to go to the next level.

“I just think he (Sheezel) is the most complete package that has walked in for a long time.

Brent Harvey played a stack of games and won a heap of best and fairests, this guy is on that level, I think. He’s got unbelievable scope.

“Wherever they go with him in terms of does he become a 100 per cent midfielder, or an 80-20 mid-forward? I think his days in the backline are well and truly gone.

“Let’s just find out where he can go from there.”

After winning North’s best and fairest as well as the Rising Star award in his debut season, Sheezel has taken his game to a new level in 2024.

He is averaging 29 disposals, leads the Roos for total disposals and also sits eighth in the league for that statistic.

The gun teenager also ranks No.1 at his club for goal assists (13) and metres gained (7136), No.2 for rebound 50s (63) and inside 50s (54), No.3 for contested possessions (147) and No.5 for clearances (46) and score involvements (71).

I should call my cousin in Melbourne and ask if he was in his class. I think they would have graduated from Scopus in the same year.

What’s his name? I’ll check with my son

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

“Wherever they go with him in terms of does he become a 100 per cent midfielder, or an 80-20 mid-forward? I think his days in the backline are well and truly gone.
Harry will go wherever the play or moment requires him to be. Long way to go yet but he'll play the James Hird role and if he can reach that level of player then we are winning flags.

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back