Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeremy N (I won't put his full last name on here to protect his privacy)
My son reckons there was no Jeremy N in their year, but there was one in my daughter's year which is a year after Harry's. Looks like your cousin was a year after Harry. He may know my daughter Anabel

AFL
BEST SINCE CAREY? WHY KING BELIEVES SHEEZEL IS THE COMPLETE PACKAGE
BY ANDREW SLEVISON A DAY AGO

North Melbourne great David King believes Harry Sheezel is one of the very best players to walk through the doors at Arden Street.

The second-year star was colossal in the Kangaroos’ four-point victory over Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium on Saturday with 35 disposals, 10 clearances, five inside 50s and a goal.

Sheezel, 19, has played such good footy in his first 39 games for the Roos that King suggested he could just be the best youngster to play for the club since Wayne Carey who was a seven-time All-Australian, four-time best and fairest and two-time premiership captain.

King said on SEN Mornings: “What level of player is Harry Sheezel? Is he All-Australian right now?

“He can play anywhere. He can go half-back, half-forward or on-ball. He’s just starting to get the recognition he deserves.

“I think he’s the best youngster to come to the Kangaroos since Carey.

“There’s been some good ones. Ben Cunnington was a top-liner for a long time, Luke Davies-Uniacke has been a very good player who is just about to go to the next level.

“I just think he (Sheezel) is the most complete package that has walked in for a long time.

Brent Harvey played a stack of games and won a heap of best and fairests, this guy is on that level, I think. He’s got unbelievable scope.

“Wherever they go with him in terms of does he become a 100 per cent midfielder, or an 80-20 mid-forward? I think his days in the backline are well and truly gone.

“Let’s just find out where he can go from there.”

After winning North’s best and fairest as well as the Rising Star award in his debut season, Sheezel has taken his game to a new level in 2024.

He is averaging 29 disposals, leads the Roos for total disposals and also sits eighth in the league for that statistic.

The gun teenager also ranks No.1 at his club for goal assists (13) and metres gained (7136), No.2 for rebound 50s (63) and inside 50s (54), No.3 for contested possessions (147) and No.5 for clearances (46) and score involvements (71).

I think it was a given anyway.

The Swans run two lockdown mids.

Rowbottom and James Jordan.

Jordan will be going to Sheez and Rowbottom will be going to LDU.

I think we will Sheez drag Jordan deep forward more than he has the last few weeks.

It’s about time the depth of talent of this side flex their muscles.

This is GW’s game imo to take it right up to Warner. Who he had a good battle with last year (along with Parker) in our game last year.

If Sheezel goes forward and kick 3 or 4 the football media will erupt

I don’t really think that’s how tags work. LDU and Wardlaw still have their direct opponents, they’re not “off the chain”. It’s just one player gets special attention to try and nullify. I have a feeling a tag won’t work very well on Sheezel though. You’d be better off tagging LDU.
If you tag one mid then you're making life easier for the others. You're sacrificing some of the team structure to focus on one player.

My son reckons there was no Jeremy N in their year, but there was one in my daughter's year which is a year after Harry's. Looks like your cousin was a year after Harry. He may know my daughter Anabel
Event, not sure about the mysterious Jeremy N, but with a name like Anabel Horizon, I'm betting she'd be pretty identifiable!

Very possible. He has a younger sister as well. I don't see or talk to my cousin very often (it has been a very long time), I just knew they were around the same age and went to Scopus.

It’s getting so exciting that I think we are almost ready for one of those pump up videos you used to do. I think one for Sheezel this pre-season and an overall North one would be mint.

I still go watch your videos from the 2013-2016 period from time to time. They were ace.

Haha thanks mate I just don’t have the time anymore to dedicate to video editing. A Sheezel “genius moments” video might go for 3 hours

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaks incredibly well, very humble and level-headed, I have no doubt he will captain our club, but I hope we give him at least 3/4 years to settle in and enjoy his footy before we burden him with the extra responsibility.

Tom Hawkins was :sparkles:😻:sparkles:

I know we all say it , but each time Harry speaks he is more impressive than the last time. You could tell Robbo and the Whatley peanut were gushing over him
Tom Hawkins was flabbergasted at how impressive Harry speaks
Severe man crushes all round

so it's a given that being bad gets you better picks which naturally gives you an opportunity to recruit the best talent

but forget the talent for a moment -- we simply got so lucky that we got a human being of the character of Harry. We could not ask for a better person to be the face of this footy club, which he undoubtedly is at the moment. What a player, what a man.

Tom Hawkins was :sparkles:😻:sparkles:
He is a regular on Tuesday nights and he comes across as an honest, respectful, knowledgeable person and really difficult to dislike, even though he has destroyed us more than a few times over his 17 career.

I do hope we get to see him play again this season, if it is his last, but I hope he returns after the North game. :)

He is a regular on Tuesday nights and he comes across as an honest, respectful, knowledgeable person and really difficult to dislike, even though he has destroyed us more than a few times over his 17 career.

I do hope we get to see him play again this season, if it is his last, but I hope he returns after the North game. :)
I've enjoyed watching his career as well.

I think it was a given anyway.

The Swans run two lockdown mids.

Rowbottom and James Jordan.

Jordan will be going to Sheez and Rowbottom will be going to LDU.

I think we will Sheez drag Jordan deep forward more than he has the last few weeks.

It’s about time the depth of talent of this side flex their muscles.

This is GW’s game imo to take it right up to Warner. Who he had a good battle with last year (along with Parker) in our game last year.
Much is made of Souva's set shots, but put a gun to my head and told me to hand it to anyone to kick a goal from anywhere inside 50 I'm handing it to Sheezel every time. Harry has more strings to his bow than most, he is always going to find a way to help the team and be damaging. And he is so mentally strong. In all honesty bang for your buck if I was going to tag any north player it would be Jy. Might not be as flashy as LDU and others but if he is up and about the team normally is too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back