Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Only real area he needs to work on is the kicking. Looks rushed and hesitant, would love him to spend some time working on a more efficient fluid style

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When he spotted up Goldy, I didn't think there was a problem with his kicking. Even more so with the kick to WilPhil.

When he spotted up Goldy, I didn't think there was a problem with his kicking. Likewise with the kick to WilPhil.

There’s nothing wrong with his kicking. Maybe the step up in pace caught him out a couple of times. Likely be an adjustment period for him. He kicks lasers at training.

Yep, that was the lineup I mentioned in the autopsy thread (I'd magicked Powell in there) but I think it's important to note that was CCJ with the hitout and Ford coming in off the wing for a touch too. We'll be seeing this for many years.

Yep, that was the lineup I mentioned in the autopsy thread (I'd magicked Powell in there) but I think it's important to note that was CCJ with the hitout and Ford coming in off the wing for a touch too. We'll be seeing this for many years.
I would like to mentyFordy kicked that ball about 65 metres too.

The closest existing player to George is Clayton Oliver. Maniac at the contest, can accelerate out of the contest and can distribute with great vision by hand or foot. I hope he can get close to Claytons endurance levels so that he can get from contest to contest for 80% TOG.

The closest existing player to George is Clayton Oliver. Maniac at the contest, can accelerate out of the contest and can distribute with great vision by hand or foot. I hope he can get close to Claytons endurance levels so that he can get from contest to contest for 80% TOG.

See 3rd clip under the 'George Wardlaw' sub-heading here: Round 10, 2023 v Sydney: 76th Interchange

When I saw that clip, I thought 'that's Clayton Oliver'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being at the game, you could genuinely tell when he was on the bench. His energy around the contest and pressure was so noticeable and we were a worse side during the 27%(!!) game time he wasn't playing. I honestly think he had a better debut than Sheezel. Sheez was incredible, but half-back is the perfect role for settling a new player with less physical contest, and more space and time. Wardlaw got none of that playing inside, but he brought clean disposals, huge pressure and great gameplay. Having these two blokes on the field will keep me going for years to come.

I would like to mentyFordy kicked that ball about 65 metres too.
Fordy has underrated disposal. I suggested earlier in the year, when he was struggling a bit as a deep forward, to chuck him in the middle with his size and disposal. Glad we can turn him into a tall winger.

George probably wouldn’t take this as a compliment, but it’s meant as one. His work while on the floor is reminiscent of a rat scurrying and causing mayhem. LDU is just going to love playing with him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Th kids just an animal.

He just wants to be involved in everything.

When he develops a bigger tank he will terrorise opposition midfields with his aggression at every contest.

Just thinking of prime George and Phillips feeding it out to LDU/Sheez/TT…

paris hilton thats hot GIF

As noted above - From Ricks Analysis - Round 10, 2023 v Sydney: 76th Interchange

George Wardlaw

Even allowing for the hype leading up to Wardlaw’s carefully planned debut, personally it still managed to far exceed my expectations.

All I was looking for was a few nice moments and a full game completed without incident. Instead Wardlaw, without any exaggeration at all, instantly changed the feel of North’s midfield.

In just 63 percent game time – the lowest of any non-substituted player – Wardlaw had 31 pressure acts. Not only was it a team high, it was a game high, and also the equal second highest of any North player this year.

WOW

Last edited:
I honestly think he had a better debut than Sheezel.
Agree. I said it earlier in this thread I think. It’s possibly the best debut I’ve seen. The things he was doing against a formidable oppo midfield was elite. If ever there was a year to trade out two pick ones, last year was it!

im enjoying the comparisons but i feel they all come up short in some way. he really is unique.

there was a poster who made some grandiose statements a few weeks back, was ridiculed, then quoted themselves a couple of pages back. i have to agree with that poster. george is a real unicorn. weve got something very special here. he is the best midfield prospect in the league.

ill throw out a ridiculous comparison since we are doing them. a young hungry michael jordan. a devastating offensive force who would also win defensive player of the year if we had that award in the afl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back