Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Traded to West Coast for pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Being out of contract we have no leverage. Best bet is to bundle in with the Bolton/Freo trade, swoop on all their 1st rounders. At worst, play WCE off against Freo if they really want him.
Under normal circumstances, yes. But holding the #1 pick in the PSD gives Richmond more leverage than they otherwise would.

Under normal circumstances, yes. But holding the #1 pick in the PSD gives Richmond more leverage than they otherwise would.
Richmond wouldn’t do it and re draft a player that wants to leave via the PSD? Has happened i am sure.

If a player that has had Captaincy put on the table looks like he is going to leave for peanuts, I would hope the club do it.

Just because it's not a 1st round pick doesn't mean its peanuts.

We aren't getting pick 3 for him and there is no way they will give us pick 12 (Barrass). I'll eat my hat if that happens.

Can’t see us taking him back in the PSD should a deal not happen.
No chance, why keep a player that doesn’t want to be with us. Confident a deal will happen.

Matt Clarke was drafting guy & now list manager. Worked in the next spot to Blair for a very long time. Maybe he’ll want to flex a bit but this won’t be his last trade with us in his career. Doubt it drags too long.
See
I see it as a bigger (but still modest) risk that the new coach comes in and says nah he blows let’s get a Kossie or whatever.

We aren't getting pick 3 for him and there is no way they will give us pick 12 (Barrass). I'll eat my hat if that happens.
Barrass will be 29 next month which means 30 next year. Baker is more than 2 years younger and is our vice captain. To say there's no way pick 12 comes our way is ridiculous. He is worth that pick easily.

Barrass will be 29 next month which means 30 next year. Baker is more than 2 years younger and is our vice captain. To say there's no way pick 12 comes our way is ridiculous. He is worth that pick easily.
You might think he is worth that but we are not getting that pick. Dreaming.

We would definitely have to throw something or someone back their way. Maybe this is where Blight comes into it, I know eagles supporters will be like **** that, but he is a ready made replacement for Barrass and they get Baker.

Last edited:
You might think he is worth that but we are not getting that pick. Dreaming.

We would definitely have to throw something or someone back their way. Maybe this is where Blight comes into it, I know eagles supporters will be like **** that, but he is a ready made replacement for Barrass and they get Baker.
I disagree with you. Baker himself said he wants Richmond to be well compensated. It will be pick 12. Matt Clarke deals fairly and that is a fair deal. I have spoken personally to Clarke in the past as I am a coterie member. He is very much of the ilk that doesn't want to be difficult in negotiations.

I disagree with you. Baker himself said he wants Richmond to be well compensated. It will be pick 12. Matt Clarke deals fairly and that is a fair deal. I have spoken personally to Clarke in the past as I am a coterie member. He is very much of the ilk that doesn't want to be difficult in negotiations.
Agree to disagree
West Coast pay him to do a job now, not us. He won't bend his new club over to benefit his old one.
Can't wait till trade time to see what happens.

If Baker chooses WC then we would get Hawthorns first rounder (14?-Barras)for him. Seems about right.
If Freo pick 15-17.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes but peeps on here say they are happy with pick 23 for Baker. Media suggesting Noble will net pies pick 26. So there u go, Baker and Noble rate similarly. Crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Barrass so much better than Baker? He turns 29 next month. Some journalists wrote an article about how McGovern made Barrass look good and that Battle was a a better prospect.

I could see us getting 12 if you include Blight, as I see this as a way that would be the easiest way they can get Blight without the threat of Freo jumping in before them with a later pick. I would prefer to keep Blight, but since there seems to be no announcement in regards to him Blight might be targeting a move back home.

Why is Barrass so much better than Baker? He turns 29 next month. Some journalists wrote an article about how McGovern made Barrass look good and that Battle was a a better prospect.
Hawks rate Barrass, you need to isolate the situations not compare. Hawks willing to pay for Barrass and I don't reckon the Eagles are as desperate for Baker. They want Baker to fill their mid 20's needs not because they a desperate for him. I can argue this for the next month but I can't be bothered. We aren't getting pick 12 for Baker directly, you guys who believe that are going to be so gutted.

We have west coast pick 3rd round this year currently sitting at 41
We trade this pick and Baker for their 1st round pick from hawthorn. If necessary throw in blight as well

If it West Coast he wants to head to, then they don't have a lot of players jumping to head there. Anything less than a first rounder would be shocking. I mean it is a long time ago but Sugar Johnson trade was
Richmond OUT: Torney, 2, 18, 32
Adelaide OUT: Johnson, 12, 28,41

If we snag Brisbane's first rounder then perhaps a
Richmond OUT: Baker, 14-16, third/fourth rounder could be done for
West Coast Out: 3, third Rounder

If pick-12 is part of negotiations we’d need to give something back. I love Bakes but i don’t believe we’d get pick-12 standalone in this super strong draft. Especially from a rebuilding Eagles team who need elite draftees more than we do.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

West Coast won't be swapping Baker for Barrass. Really not sure why people keep thinking that's going to happen.

That sounds like a West Coast problem which will then become a Hawthorn problem. It also depends on finals.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the trade ended up being Hawks first this year and next year for Barrass and pick 23.

We end up getting Hawks 2025 first for Baker.

That sounds like a West Coast problem which will then become a Hawthorn problem. It also depends on finals.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the trade ended up being Hawks first this year and next year for Barrass and pick 23.

We end up getting Hawks 2025 first for Baker.

That makes more sense, considering where Hawks are atm, that F1st round they would be hoping is a pick in the mid teens.

I no longer would eat my hat if that happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Traded to West Coast for pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back