Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Traded to West Coast for pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d suggest that the WC players have likely been in survival mode. It’s the opposite of what’s necessary in a team sport. So if pick 3 potential is true it’s an acknowledgment of what Baker brings as our vice Captain both on & off field….

It makes what someone said earlier that a latter pick goes back with the possibility the WC will offer more for JG driving up our compensation? Or we keep him in preparing/developing our midfield drafts? I think he hasn’t played fit this season, so I trust the counter offer put up by our club if they envisage a role for him going forward….

The West Coast nongs that have been loitering are going to lose their minds about pick 3.

9 & 10 for Bolton
10 & Baker for 3.
Get 6 & 13 for Rioli (throw in late picks back)

Go to the draft with 1, 3, 6, 9, 13, 21.

Trade some of 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 73 for either another teams 1st that need points, next years draft or both.

The West Coast nongs that have been loitering are going to lose their minds about pick 3.

9 & 10 for Bolton
10 & Baker for 3.
Get 6 & 13 for Rioli (throw in late picks back)

Go to the draft with 1, 3, 6, 9, 13, 21.

Trade some of 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 73 for either another teams 1st that need points, next years draft or both.

So Bolton and Baker for 3 and 9?

I'd prefer

Bolton for 9 and 10
Baker for Compo pick 12 (Barrass pick)
Rioli 6 & 13

We have 1, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 21, 29

For us to have picks 9, 10, 12, 13 - that is absolutely insane. I rate that higher than Pick 3, especially in an even draft. For us to have four from five selections along with picks 1 and 6, genuinely surreal.

I would bundle other picks and try to draft up the 2025 draft order. Only taking 1, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13 this year.

I'd prefer

Bolton for 9 and 10
Rioli 6 & 13

For us to have picks 9, 10, 12, 13 - that is absolutely insane. I rate that higher than Pick 3, especially in an even draft. For us to have four from five selections along with picks 1 and 6, genuinely surreal.

I would bundle other picks and try to draft up the 2025 draft order. Only taking 1, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13 this year.
We also have a few low end picks to trade up with available for the clubs that are after academy and f/s picks.

I'd prefer

Bolton for 9 and 10
Rioli 6 & 13

Yeah that works, but if there are 2 mids we are very keen on - say Jagga and FOS then getting pick 3 would make that likely as Norf will probably go a KP. Getting in before Melbourne at 5.

Of course if Norf traded their pick back - which they might then we'd be better off not doing the pick 3 trade.

Either way a good problem to have. I'm sure those at RFC know what they're doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Cornes :rolleyesv1: suggesting that the Eagles need to be ruthless when trading for Baker. Basically don't trade is what he is suggesting, and just get Baker in the PSD because "Richmond wouldn't redraft Baker".

The contradiction IMHO lies in Cornes wanting clubs to get ruthless, and then not thinking that the ruthless streak can (will) work both ways so why wouldn't we re-draft Baker if he was the best player available in the PSD.

Kane Cornes :rolleyesv1: suggesting that the Eagles need to be ruthless when trading for Baker. Basically don't trade is what he is suggesting, and just get Baker in the PSD because "Richmond wouldn't redraft Baker".

The contradiction IMHO lies in Cornes wanting clubs to get ruthless, and then not thinking that the ruthless streak can (will) work both ways so why wouldn't we re-draft Baker if he was the best player available in the PSD.

It would be one of the dumbest moves in the history of football. They would literally open themselves up to us pursuing Harley in the PSD. We wouldn’t even consult them on a trade because they didn’t do the same for us. AFL couldn’t say shit either.

Can't wait till Cornes is on channel 7 because then he wont be able to be so clickbait-y

Kane Cornes hasn't been part of trade negotiations to know this is a poor move lol Sometimes I'm surprised The Age approves Kane's articles to be published.

Cornhole with the dumb clickbait again. Does he even think about what he says? Moronic.

Kane isn’t very bright

Personally, i think the negotiation will go something like this MC & BH sit down have a coffee and a smoke
Ok whats his value they agree roughly 15-18 range
they have a look at what they have and 1 of
Hawks pick for TB
10 -3 down grade
#23 +F2
Baker+#21+#23 for F1 (unlikely)
Hawks F1 if they get it

Happy with any of the picks

Pretty darn sure that Baker wants us to be fairly compensated. Puts paid to anything Cornes says.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Traded to West Coast for pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back