Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Traded to West Coast for pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Who here is actually confident that the player we pick (around #16-18) is going to be as good or better than Baker?

Would you rather have Baker or the guys below from the last decade?

Brown 17 (OK so far)
Dow 21 (bust)
RCD 20 (bust)
Higgins 17 (OK but requested trade, bust)
Rioli 15 (good)
Ellis 12 (bust)

Not saying we didn't get a good deal, just not confident we can/will capitalise on it.

WCE on the other hand have 5 years service from a good player in a rebuild phase.

So it's not as uneven as some may think.
Yeah but we had this ****ing moron doing the recruiting back then. Absolute pea brain. Think his name was Matt Stark or something. Wonder what he's up to these days :think:

Corey Ellis was pick 12 good lord totally forgot about him

Sorry all

Gonna miss Bakes, he took over the mantle as my favourite player this year after Grimer did his back, Lids was my favourite before Grimes and him leaving worked out pretty well, hopefully this does too.

So much for "I want whatever gets richmond the best compensation"
Not sure that sentiment was ever attributed to Baker. He wanted Richmond to be "fairly compensated" and that is what has happened with pick 14 IMO.

Bolton is the one by not nominating a club, it was open to whichever WA club could offer the best deal to us. Obviously with pick 3 gone, the only club that can satisfy us is Freo.

I hope he plays really well and shoves it up the WC supporters arses. Pretty depressing reading on the WC Baker thread. Figured some of them might be excited to get a player that has a bit of heart and wants to play for them.

He's not responsible for WC trading pick 3 out, that's on the club.

I'll miss seeing him bounce around contests. Was a fun player to watch.

I hope he plays really well and shoves it up the WC supporters arses. Pretty depressing reading on the WC Baker thread. Figured some of them might be excited to get a player that has a bit of heart and wants to play for them.

He's not responsible for WC trading pick 3 out, that's on the club.

I'll miss seeing him bounce around contests. Was a fun player to watch.
They'll come around pretty quickly, although he (and them) are in for a rough few years.

Still mind bogling to me that he chose Weagles over Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think pick 14 is that much to celebrate. 26year old who we were all happy to give the captaincy to 3 months ago & we all thought bled yellow & black until the club started yzeing from the anus..

If you took pick 14 to the draft, you would be pretty happy to draft a guy like Baker. Alternatively, you can sometimes end up with Corey Ellis, Danny Meyer etc. But you can also end up with Alex Rance or Lever etc. It's a decent pick that gives you a chance of getting something good, but no guarantee for sure.

To see the Eagles give up pick 3 in the same deal and not be able to find a way to get that, even if it included packaging up pick 20 from the Lions & getting a 3rd rounder back. Would have been happier with that tbh.

Baker never promised anything other than wanting Richmond to be looked after.

West Coast promised Richmond and Bakers management that they would get a pick between 10-20 for him. It was all agreed and happy. When Hawks did the dirty, some trepidation seeped in. So West Coast had to do a deal they probably wouldn’t have wanted to do originally.

Spoke much better on trade radio today for obvious reasons. Spoke very highly of the club and said how much he loved his time at Richmond and how he was only leaving because were in the wrong part of Australia for him.

Best thing is his conversations with Harley Reid are going to like this

“Bakes, what was it like to play in front of the tiger army ?”

Bakes is gunna say

“ it was the best time of my life “

Harley is going to think about that many many times, and then he is gunna come home to experience it himself and play with his mates fos and Sam .

And we are gunna feel blessed , again

Best thing is his conversations with Harley Reid are going to like this

“Bakes, what was it like to play in front of the tiger army ?”

Bakes is gunna say

“ it was the best time of my life “

Harley is going to think about that many many times, and then he is gunna come home to experience it himself and play with his mates fos and Sam .

And we are gunna feel blessed , again

Yeah then he is going to ask

"What was Adem like to play for?"

Strongly doubt anyone from WCE Eagles is going to be keen to join the Tigers after talking to Bakes, Graham & Mini. lmao

Who here is actually confident that the player we pick (around #16-18) is going to be as good or better than Baker?

Would you rather have Baker or the guys below from the last decade?

Brown 17 (OK so far)
Dow 21 (bust)
RCD 20 (bust)
Higgins 17 (OK but requested trade, bust)
Rioli 15 (good)
Ellis 12 (bust)

Not saying we didn't get a good deal, just not confident we can/will capitalise on it.

WCE on the other hand have 5 years service from a good player in a rebuild phase.

May not even use 14 in the draft and use it to trade up.

A refresher for those saying this was a home run deal

Lachie Schulz = Pick 11 + 34
Jacob Hopper - Pick 8 + 31
Esava Ratugolea = Pick 25,76,94
Tim Taranto = Pick 12+19
Bradon Preuss - Pick 31
Adam Saad - Pick 8
Orazio Fantasia - Pick 29

I would say 14 was about shelf value for what Baker brings. When he played purely down back, he was borderline AA in 2020 ( made the u>23-AA team alongside Balta). Another guy who got moved around 10,000 times to fill holes & lots have forgotten, after 1 avg season where he was still top 5 in the b&f - just how good this guy is. His leadersip and presence around the club has been & will be dearly missed. People here still cant bring themselves to accept, that whatever the situation is at the club atm, it lead guys like Baker, Dusty, Graham, Pickett, BOLTON to check out by round 13 - even Grimes didn't watch the final game with the club, he preferred to sit with Astbury in the stands.

These guys are leaving, but whats to say the environment will improve if the problem was not these blokes? I trust these guys a lot more than i trust Yze and the new team around him. Feel like people are glossing over the quality of guys these blokes were previous to Yze turning up. 2 of them have forced their way to the stand in coach & another 1 is forcing his way to old coach. And that guy is probably the best player & highest quality bloke we have. Think you all are rating this trade on Bakers past 12 months and not the scope of his whole career. When played in a supporting role like Back Pocket for 80% of his game time, this guy is top shelf

Last edited:
A refresher for those saying this was a home run deal

Lachie Schulz = Pick 11 + 34
Jacob Hopper - Pick 8 + 31
Esava Ratugolea = Pick 25,76,94
Tim Taranto = Pick 12+19
Bradon Preuss - Pick 31
Adam Saad - Pick 8
Orazio Fantasia - Pick 29

I would say 14 was about shelf value for what Baker brings. When he played purely down back, he was borderline AA in 2020 ( made the u>23-AA team alongside Balta). Another guy who got moved around 10,000 times to fill holes & lots have forgotten, after 1 avg season where he was still top 5 in the b&f - just how good this guy is. His leadersip and presence around the club has been & will be dearly missed. People here still cant bring themselves to accept, that whatever the situation is at the club atm, it lead guys like Baker, Dusty, Graham, Pickett, BOLTON to check out by round 13 - even Grimes didn't watch the final game with the club, he preferred to sit with Astbury in the stands.

These guys are leaving, but whats to say the environment will improve if the problem was not these blokes? I trust these guys a lot more than i trust Yze and the new team around him. Feel like people are glossing over the quality of guys these blokes were previous to Yze turning up. 2 of them have forced their way to the stand in coach & another 1 is forcing his way to old coach. And that guy is probably the best player & highest quality bloke we have. Think you all are rating this trade on Bakers past 12 months and not the scope of his whole career. When played in a supporting role like Back Pocket for 80% of his game time, this guy is top shelf
Yap yap yap.

Getting a first round pick for an out of contract player you took from the rookie draft is elite work by Blair

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Traded to West Coast for pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back