Game Day Adelaide Crows versus the GWS GIANTS

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering the weather I'm assuming nobody will be after any Ice Cream tonight, that's a pity, heard a new local start-up company are selling some down there at Adelaide Oval tonight...
VB_HENDO.png

I missed the clowns on AA this morning. Was Stud et al actually defending the VB inclusion? I only caught the last of it. Pisses me off to no end when supposed experts are blinded by.....heck knows what but they are blinded by.

Against blue chip quality sides, VB will show his true colours. Clangers and being rag dolled is a given today. Easy to perform against an injury ridden Suns.

Masquerading as an AFL player past his due by date. Pyke this is a massive selection blunder.

When you hear that "all the clubs agreed to terms", I wouldn't take it too literally. The clubs had nothing in the way of leverage in those negotiations. They we're probably handed a bunch of shit deals and took the least painful option.
Steven Trigg was one of these responsible for drawing up the concessions, and you can clearly see where the criteria is marked with his own spectacular brand of incompetence.

God I hate this wholly-owned AFL subsidiary Vlad love-child with 50 top-ten draft picks. Hate them. How dare they get awarded that much talent. How dare the Adelaide Footy Club agree to those ridiculous concessions! I hope we pull something out of our arse and smash them tonight.

Imagine how bad GWS would be if they had no draft concessions. If they instead were only given the draft picks of a team that finished last and had to use free agents, rookie picks and pick 200s to make up their squad

Steven Trigg was one of these responsible for drawing up the concessions, and you can clearly see where the criteria is marked with his own spectacular brand of incompetence.

Or he gave too much to please his AFL masters thinking eventually he'd get called to work in the head office... Except then he stuffed that Tippett thing

I will be over the moon if Adelaide beat GWS tonight against the odds. But this is why I think some of this analysis falls down:
  1. GWS this year is not GWS last year. They are much stronger in every facet of the game. Their 'lesser' midfield players like Kelly, Whitfield, Scully, Wilson have all stepped up significantly with the loss of Treloar and injury to Griffen and Smith. Shiel, Coniglio, Greene have all improved. Basically, even with players like Treloar and Griffen out (who have dominated us in the past), their midfield is still stronger than it was last year.
  2. Lobb has easily accounted for the loss of McCarthy. He has come from nowhere to be a dominant force up forward. This allows Patton to almost be a sleeping giant
  3. Mumford has always dominated Jacobs and will give GWS mids silver service
  4. We are out of form, unlike when we played Sydney. Our confidence was shot after the Hawthorn game, weakened by the Bulldogs match, and weakened again by an important Geelong loss at home.
  5. We didn't look all that good against Gold Coast despite comfortably beating them by 70+ points
  6. Key senior players in particular are out of form, such as Douglas, Thompson, Smith and Jacobs.
  7. GWS are in form, particularly players like Shaw, Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio and others.
  8. Geelong have showed that we are not invincible at home, and a good midfield will towel us up anywhere we play.
  9. The midfield structural issues that began in the Fremantle game have not been addressed in our subsequent matches, even the Gold Coast game.
  10. The injury to Laird has been killer, and our selectors choice to select Van Berlo and Henderson (and, to a lesser extent, underperforming senior players like Thompson and Douglas) over Matt Crouch, Brad Crouch and others is not good for the team.
  11. GWS haven't played many strong teams away from home so it's hard to truly gather how they perform against contenders away from their home ground. The only strong team that beat them away is Sydney, while other away games have been against weak teams, which they (mostly) comfortably beat. The exception is the Melbourne game which GWS threw away through awful goal kicking; they were the dominant side that match.
However there are some things in our favor:
  1. Our forward line is dominant, especially with Walker back in some shred of form.
  2. GWS defence is possibly the weakest it could ever be. They lack the tall personnel to stop our forward line.
  3. We have a home ground advantage and GWS are a "poor" travelling team, supposedly.
  4. We have a stronger collection of outside players than last time we played GWS. We all know GWS midfield is speedy, and we lacked the pace in the previous match to dominate them. We now have the speed, particularly precision kicking (Smith, Seedsman, Milera, etc.) to cause issues.
  5. GWS don't have really damaging small forwards like Hawthorn. We've been good at stopping tall forwards but poor stopping smalls, and GWS don't have a Puopolo or Rioli type player out there. The one exception could be Stevie J who can cut us up.
We might need to dent GWS confidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To those suggesting vb was the correct selection and we should trust our selectors I guess not playing Hartigan first round was the correct decision too.

Quiet as the night, but probably full of praise with VB selection before the game in R1.

Pyke hopefully knows that cost him 4 points that decision alone.

Kelly and wigg were available. Not talking about the problem and putting your head in the sand doesnt get us anywhere.
Still not sold on Kelly, and he needs more than one game back at SANFL level to force his way in. Wigg isn't a defender, I'm not sure why people keep thinking he is.

Laird is back next week anyway, lets just hope we get the win tonight and can move on.

Still not sold on Kelly, and he needs more than one game back at SANFL level to force his way in. Wigg isn't a defender, I'm not sure why people keep thinking he is.

Laird is back next week anyway, lets just hope we get the win tonight and can move on.

Have to agree. Would've really liked Kelly in, and I'm pissed VB is playing. But Kelly has had one good game of SANFL after injuries. We were pissed with the mismanagement of Crouch, I think this would've probably been mismanagement of Kelly. Of the performances I've seen of Wigg he's not really been playing a defensive role, more like Seedsman/Smith. Not not sure he's a like for like, basically we just need Laird back!

Anyway.....Enough with selections. Have to back the team we've got for this week.

Was pushing before injury. And post injury in bests. Wouldve been ready.
Neither is vb so I dont get your point. At least wigg has played defence with success before.

Realistically Laird appears to be a week away. We bring in Wigg for VB. Then drop him immediately for Laird?

Young players getting a taste of AFL action for a game or two due minor injuries is a regular occurance, and if he got dropped afterwards it wouldn't be fatal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Adelaide Crows versus the GWS GIANTS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back