Preview AFL 1st Qualifying Final - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez i hope its gonna be windy as hell.
Just out of curiosity.. and stupidity, would it be windier in the centre of the ground more than the boundary line and wings?

I was looking at the MVP Didak Award Thread with the votes for all players over the year.
Players with the least votes for the year were the following:

3 - Wellingham, Johnson
2 - O'Brien, Toovey
1 - Brown, Clarke, Dawes

If we are to win against the Hawks then 1 or 2 of these players need to have a blinder
of a game!

The hawks will be giving fantastic passes to fantastic forwards, our defenders need to play in AA form. The good thing is, pretty much all of them are capable of it.

50km south-west to westerly winds by midday! And, it ain't going to be backing off till the following day at least.

IDG00074.gif

Check out how close those isobars are for Friday!

A few things that we need to do to win imo.

Hopefully the team doesn't blindly bomb fwd it just plays into Hawks hands, Maxwell needs to handball to a runner and not do his customary get ball sprint 15m and bomb it 50m to no one. Harry O also needs to hit up leads and kick to advantage or give it off to Reid/passing mid.

Hawks protect their defensive 50 well and know we go long makes it easier for them to zone off so we must use up that option between the 50 and centre square and if we have to hit up a short pass to a lead from there.

Less zoning and more 1v1, all players need to be accountable when Hawks have possesion the Hawks gameplan was designed around breaking open a zone or 'press'.

Get numbers around the contest and drop of the ball when entering the f50, Hawks have borrowed a part of our 2010 game plan and out number the opponents at stoppages helping them to not only clear the ball better but lock it in should the opponent get it.

Don't let the Hawks open their f50 arc they are very good at separating the defenders and leaving space for each other to lead into.

Congrats Pies fans this is one of the least biased previews I've ever read.
The summation of getting Cloke one out, don't drop pressure for 1 minute, man on man is a must and make Maxwell handball not bomb is near perfect.
Whoever wins this game should make the GF.
Best of luck and lets hope no umpire ruins it and no injuries occur.

The final positions have played out pretty damn well for us. Win this week, and IMO it gives us a psychological advantage (and a week off).

Lose and we *should* account for West Coast coming to the G. Then it's likely a prelim at ANZ, which on current and historical form we should win. The Hawks will likely go up against Geelong in the other prelim. And we'll either be playing a team we've not lost to this year, or have one final 4 quarter crack at the Hawks.

Now we've just got to make the most of it.

/didnotjinx.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh doesnt look like goldsack will come up, benny sinclair will take his spot imo.
some words even josh thomas, that would be crazy.
Nah, bring in Blair and Dawes for Goldy and Elliott, no spot for Sinclair whose form was terrible towards the end of the year.

I'm not overly confident about our chances, but i can see a lot of resemblance between this upcoming game and the 2002 Qualifying Final vs Port Adelaide.
We were given zero chance against a rampant Port, who for memory, played much the same as Hawthorn do, high possession and ball retention.
But we came out all guns blazing and shocked the power.
Maybe lightning will strike twice

Also no Wood, so those suggesting Wood in will be disappointed too.

Dawes trained, shook hands with Eddie coming off the track, maybe he has freshened up enough? Blair trained and moved well, would be a cert to come in you would think, could be a straight swap for the injured Goldy, more likely Elliot comes out, has been monstered the last month, needs to come out, take stock, put in a big pre-season and aim to play round one next year. Seedsman and Sinclair also trained, as did Josh Thomas, can't see Josh coming in, so for mine it looks like :

FB: Toovey Brown Tarrant
HB: O'Brien Reid Maxwell

C: Thomas Swan Johnson

HF: Fasolo Cloke Wellingham
FF: Krakouer Paine Blair

R: Jolly Beams Pendles

INT:
Dawes
Sidebottom
Shaw

SUB:
Didak

EMG:
Sinclair
Seedsman
Elliot

Shaw to reprise his role as a forward this week, reckon throwing him around a bit more is good for him, also allows us to play Taz back on Buddy. Exciting times, GO PIES!

Love Shaw as a forward.. Good one on one. Great defensively and high pressure and can also take a great mark. The small amount of forward time he has had in the past he has always bobbed up for a goal. I'd say if Goldsack doesn't come up Dawes is the replacement and Paine holds his spot.

Also no Wood, so those suggesting Wood in will be disappointed too.

Dawes trained, shook hands with Eddie coming off the track, maybe he has freshened up enough? Blair trained and moved well, would be a cert to come in you would think, could be a straight swap for the injured Goldy, more likely Elliot comes out, has been monstered the last month, needs to come out, take stock, put in a big pre-season and aim to play round one next year. Seedsman and Sinclair also trained, as did Josh Thomas, can't see Josh coming in, so for mine it looks like :

FB: Toovey Brown Tarrant
HB: O'Brien Reid Maxwell

C: Thomas Swan Johnson

HF: Fasolo Cloke Wellingham
FF: Krakouer Paine Blair

R: Jolly Beams Pendles

INT:
Dawes
Sidebottom
Shaw

SUB:
Didak

EMG:
Sinclair
Seedsman
Elliot

Shaw to reprise his role as a forward this week, reckon throwing him around a bit more is good for him, also allows us to play Taz back on Buddy. Exciting times, GO PIES!

I don't like the idea of didak as the sub, he's not explosive enough I believe we need his foot skills throughout the majority of the game, wouldnt be surprised to see a Elliot or Blair possibly as the sub

Hmmm with Goldsack in doubt, I'm concerned about our lack of forward pressure. He was the perfect negating matchup for Birchall. Realistically, Blair is the only one who has a genuine presence defensively now [no Goldsack, no Elliot, no Sinclair].

Didak and Krak have sublime skills, but aren't great defensively; their tackles don't stick. Cloke, Dawes and Paine are all too slow for the Hawks defense. Wellingham will have to spend a fair bit of time forward to help with the pressure I think.

I'm not overly confident about our chances, but i can see a lot of resemblance between this upcoming game and the 2002 Qualifying Final vs Port Adelaide.
We were given zero chance against a rampant Port, who for memory, played much the same as Hawthorn do, high possession and ball retention.
But we came out all guns blazing and shocked the power.
Maybe lightning will strike twice
A lot of similarites, Port had won 18 of 20 games going in in, we won round 2 and lost rounds 1 and 3 before winning a streak of games in a row which included the reigning premier in round 8, and we had dropped off badly in form towards the end of the year. It was a 1v4 QF played on the Friday night. Exactly 10 years ago today, and lead the whole night iirc.

Congrats Pies fans this is one of the least biased previews I've ever read.
The summation of getting Cloke one out, don't drop pressure for 1 minute, man on man is a must and make Maxwell handball not bomb is near perfect.
Whoever wins this game should make the GF.
Best of luck and lets hope no umpire ruins it and no injuries occur.
Well with Meredith, McInerney and Nicholls I doubt it...:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL 1st Qualifying Final - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back