Preview AFL 1st Qualifying Final - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn v Collingwood

Friday 7 September

MCG, 7:50pm

Collingwood

B: Chris Tarrant, Harry O’Brien, Nathan Brown

HB: Ben Johnson, Ben Reid, Nick Maxwell

C: Sharrod Wellingham, Dane Swan, Alan Toovey

HF: Scott Pendlebury, Jackson Paine, Heath Shaw
F: Dale Thomas, Travis Cloke, Chris Dawes

Foll: Darren Jolly, Steele Sidebottom, Dayne Beams

Int: Alex Fasolo, Alan Didak, Andrew Krakouer, Jarryd Blair

Emg: Ben Sinclair, Jamie Elliott, Paul Seedsman

IN: Chris Dawes, Jarryd Blair

OUT: Tyson Goldsack (ankle), Jamie Elliott (omitted)

Milestone: Dale Thomas - 150 games (Debut: Round One, 2006 v Adelaide)

Everyone keeps saying (wishfully) that they are suspect. 17-5 W-L record may suggest otherwise. I think we keep wishing the Shoenmakers was the 2008 version.
Lol on that basis we finished 16-6 so our defence has been going great guns as well. :rolleyes:

Btw Schoenmakers was drafted in 2008 so didn't play until 09.

Did you not watch how Hawkins destroyed him twice this year?

I'm concerned we may be a bit tall and slow.

Think we'll be creating space forward. I think Paine is actually a good mark, if they don't repect him we'llpossibly get some marks. Our smalls with good hands will come into the frame: Fasolo, Thomas and Sidebottom. Maybe running into that space.

I think Dawes coming in had to be done. Great to have Blair back too.

However, have we gone in too tall? It's certainly something to ponder.

Going to need one of them to play a sacrificial role and keep Gibson away from being 3rd man up.

Even though Heath Shaw is named forward and whilst he may actually not play there, I think for this game he needs to be kept away from the back half. He has not defended too well of late and he makes stupid clangers and decisions which hurt us. Just cut him loose and let him chase the footy in attack. He will prove more useful away from our back half against the Hawks.

Lol on that basis we finished 16-6 so our defence has been going great guns as well. :rolleyes:

Hawkins would destroy anyone.
Plus it's good and well that Hawkins destroyed him, just that we don't gots no Hawkins. :p

well he did beat cloke easily earlier this year but i think cloke is a proven finals performer and is definitely capable of getting a hold of a young vulnerable and skinny schoenmakers

Hawkins would destroy anyone.
Plus it's good and well that Hawkins destroyed him, just that we don't gots no Hawkins. :p
But we have Cloke. :p
well he did beat cloke easily earlier this year but i think cloke is a proven finals performer and is definitely capable of getting a hold of a young vulnerable and skinny schoenmakers
We definitely need Cloke to have a good game if we are a chance imo. We are banking on him playing much better than the round 17 game. He probably beat Schoenmakers in rd 1 imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do not believe we are too tall. Like the team named, is the rule that the sub will be someone named on bench? Rings a bell. Finals time increases my dislike of the sub rule, have no idea who it will/should be.

Can't afford poor performances from anyone, perform to our best and should be a great game.

I feel we're a little tall. They will run the ball out of defense too easily.

Jolly, Cloke, Dawes, Paine, Brown, Reid, Tarrant... all on a wild night weather wise. Wouldn't mind seeing Sinclair/Elliot come in for Paine.

Those saying their tall defenders are vulnerable obviously haven't seen how well they've worked as a unit for the last 3 months.

I think the sacrificial forward is the idea of recalling Dawes while retaining Paine. Blair adds bite with his terrier work, so that's good.

Look we HAVE to stretch their defence or else we go down, Gibson must be kept accountable to his man so that Cloke has a chance and if Gibson drops off it leaves one of the other towers free, hopefully we have the ball in the hands of Krak, Fas, Dids coming in so that they can spot the free tower and spot passes.

It seems a good plan, our midfield is their equal, if not better but that's no good if we let their backs dictate so we are attempting to make them play to OUR tempo.

So now its in the hands of the players to make the plans work.

Go Pies!

i dont understand how gibson and clangermakers can stop the power forwards in the league, they just seem ttoo small.
Gibsons a great defender but how the **** does he go size and size with cloke and hawkins and petrie????

I feel we're a little tall. They will run the ball out of defense too easily.

Jolly, Cloke, Dawes, Paine, Brown, Reid, Tarrant... all on a wild night weather wise. Wouldn't mind seeing Sinclair/Elliot come in for Paine.

Those saying their tall defenders are vulnerable obviously haven't seen how well they've worked as a unit for the last 3 months.
Meh, they have Franklin, Roughead, Hale, Gunston, Schoenmakers, Gibson and Murphy...not all that small either.

Imo Young and and Guerra out will hurt them, they will be relying on Suckling and to a lesser extent Birchall to kick the ball out.

As for working as a unit, any backline can play well when that happens. The opposition needs to not allow them to zone off and provide the 3rd man up. I think we are a chance to do that with our three talls.

Also no Wood, so those suggesting Wood in will be disappointed too.

Dawes trained, shook hands with Eddie coming off the track, maybe he has freshened up enough? Blair trained and moved well, would be a cert to come in you would think, could be a straight swap for the injured Goldy, more likely Elliot comes out, has been monstered the last month, needs to come out, take stock, put in a big pre-season and aim to play round one next year. Seedsman and Sinclair also trained, as did Josh Thomas, can't see Josh coming in, so for mine it looks like :

FB: Toovey Brown Tarrant
HB: O'Brien Reid Maxwell

C: Thomas Swan Johnson

HF: Fasolo Cloke Wellingham
FF: Krakouer Paine Blair

R: Jolly Beams Pendles

INT:
Dawes
Sidebottom
Shaw

SUB:
Didak

EMG:
Sinclair
Seedsman
Elliot

Shaw to reprise his role as a forward this week, reckon throwing him around a bit more is good for him, also allows us to play Taz back on Buddy. Exciting times, GO PIES!

:)

Happy with those changes. Dawes replaces Goldsack with Paine to play Goldsack's 3rd tall role.

Cloke to play deep like last week and Dawes to play a high CHF role so Cloke continues to have that space. In effect we need to utilise Dawes leading up and if he does not hold the grabs he then becomes a decoy and opens the 50 up for Trav.

We need to hit Paine up early so that the Hawks defence don't zone off him and double team Cloke. If he leads hard early we need to honour it.

I'd employ Blair permanently in the forward 50 in the Sinclair role, or should I say the Blair role from 2010. He can provide that forward 50 pressure we really need along with Krakouer. Although he may be the sub.

With Cloke, Paine and Dawes providing targets, Blair providing forward 50 pressure, Fasolo leading up and Didak and Krakouer delivering into forward 50 and using their goal sense it represents a pretty good forward structure.

Of course all of this is on paper. As always we need Cloke and Dawes to play well for us to be in this. Structure will be key here.... the ability to keep Cloke one out is critical.

I reckon it is close to our best line up. Ball excluded.

If the weather goes as predicted I think that we're looking far too top-heavy there. Goldsack is a real loss, his speed and tackling on someone like a Birchall or a Suckling simply can't be replicated by a Paine or a Dawes. Maybe Sinclair is the best option in that regard - but his form hasn't been the same post injury.

Seriously hoping that Goldy somehow gets up as a late replacement. Outside of that I'd be looking at bringing in a small forward or midfielder, but stocks in that regard are somewhat limited this year. What we wouldn't give to have Luke Ball or Brent Macaffer available for selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL 1st Qualifying Final - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back