Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Collingwood > 30 pts

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson didn't have prior opportunity. After that the Essendon player fell right into Brown's back in the tackle.

Watch it again.

15.2.3 Holding the football - Prior Opportunity/No Prior Opportunity(a) Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of the football:
(i) has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if the Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Correctly Tackled;
(ii) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so.

As per the letter of the law do you believe he correctly disposed of the ball? To me it looks like he throws the ball in the general direction of his boot but that isn't a correct disposal.

Yes Stephenson should have been called for holding the ball, I don’t get why pies fans are trying to deny it. Admitting it won’t take the win away..

Chances are Dylan shiel ends up with the ball and turns it over anyway.

Baguely literally gifted a goal and Tipongwuti dropped the ball before Danihers goal

But the umps gifted Collingwood the game. Morons
Unfortunately people don’t want to see facts like this. Doesn’t support their conspiracy theories of “we waz robbed”.

Have i not spent the last 5 weeks trying to stop people crapping on about free kicks and the like.

I don't know. I haven't noticed it.

And besides that I'm not a main board mod.

Fair enough. You could still call attention to it and notify another mod to do something about it.

Also you seem pretty triggered by a bloke who has only posted on the main board 144 times and in game day threads 134 times......

Triggered? I'm not 14 so I don't use or even acknowledge terms like that.

He may not have posted that much overall, but he was everywhere on the main board last year trolling and inserting Richmond into every discussion. He was the leader of the #PiesHaveInjuries bullshit that you all thought was hilarious (Not so funny when the shoe's on the other foot though it it?;)). The gutless turd's disappeared back to the Richmond board after last years prelim though. He was just one example anyway. Several others who's names escape me have taken over for him here. Same 5 or 6 posters every week, every game. It's hard to miss.

Patting idiots like that on the back reflects badly on all of you and that's not fair on the Richmond supporters that don't go along with it. Calling it out for the immature bullshit it is would go a long way.

lol, he had his arm already being held before he'd grabbed the ball, what's he meant to do with it? Never a HTB free kick.

BT deadset has money on Essendon.

Watching it frame by frame and you would be correct. His arm was held before he even had control of the ball. The ball also comes off Stephens boot.

I don't know. I haven't noticed it.

Fair enough. You could still call attention to it and notify another mod to do something about it.

Triggered? I'm not 14 so I don't use or even acknowledge terms like that.

He may not have posted that much overall, but he was everywhere on the main board last year trolling and inserting Richmond into every discussion. He was the leader of the #PiesHaveInjuries bullshit that you all thought was hilarious (Not so funny when the shoe's on the other foot though it it?;)). The gutless turd's disappeared back to the Richmond board after last years prelim though. He was just one example anyway. Several others who's names escape me have taken over for him here. Same 5 or 6 posters every week, every game. It's hard to miss.

Patting idiots like that on the back reflects badly on all of you and that's not fair on the Richmond supporters that don't go along with it. Calling it out for the immature bullshit it is would go a long way.

You have absolutely no idea what i do behind the scenes.

Just watched the replay,and didn't care who won, but if I was an Essendon fan I woukld be filthy with the bias shown towards Collingwood by the "Umpires".
Those umps should never do a game again this year. F..king cheating incompetence.....
lol... debutant hey....
nothing like giving the bombers 3 goals in crunch moments

I’m still waiting for your response to my post that was in response to yours.

I’ll refresh your memory...

You’re not one-eyed, so I’m curious to know your thoughts re the above calls.
I cant recall the Baguley or Guelfi ones, but happy to comment if you show me the incidents, there were some small parts of the second, third and fourth quarters that I missed.

There were two missed HTB calls late in the game, I'm not sure if they would have resulted directly in goals, but they robbed the opportunity from the side that had all the momentum and the better team after quarter time. These were critical moments for me, when the game was at it's most desperate and could be tipped based on one moment and goal.

I thought overall the game that I saw Collingwood had the better run. Other neutrals may have seen differently, but sorry I wont really compare my opinion with a Pies or Bombers fan because there is bias at play for both of them. You'll probably argue otherwise and I get that as a Pies fan.

What did other neutrals think?

15.2.3 Holding the football - Prior Opportunity/No Prior Opportunity(a) Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of the football:
(i) has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if the Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Correctly Tackled;
(ii) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so.

As per the letter of the law do you believe he correctly disposed of the ball? To me it looks like he throws the ball in the general direction of his boot but that isn't a correct disposal.
You even say yourself he ‘attempted’ to get the ball on the boot...the rule says that is all he had to do.

And also Keep reading

15.2.4 Application – Specific Instances where Play shall Continue

For the avoidance of doubt, the field Umpire shall allow play to continue when:
(a) a Player is bumped and the football falls from the Player’s hands;
(b) a Player’s arm is knocked which causes the Player to lose
possession of the football;
(c) a Player’s arms are pinned to their side by an opponent which causes the Player to drop the football, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply;
(d) a Player, whilst in the act of Correctly Disposing of the football, is swung off-balance and does not make contact with the football by either foot or hand, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply; or
(e) a Player is pulled or swung by one arm which causes the football to fall from the Player’s hands, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply.

Stephenson was swung by one arm, and he had no prior opportunity, the ball spilled free....it is play on.

BT screaming incorrect disposal just highlights how he doesn’t actually know the rules, and it seems the majority of punters don’t either.

More people should do a level one umpire course and umpire kids footy, you then actually learn the rules as they are written.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant recall the Baguley or Guelfi ones, but happy to comment if you show me the incidents, there were some small parts of the second, third and fourth quarters that I missed.

There were two missed HTB calls late in the game, I'm not sure if they would have resulted directly in goals, but they robbed the opportunity from the side that had all the momentum and the better team after quarter time. These were critical moments for me, when the game was at it's most desperate and could be tipped based on one moment and goal.

I thought overall the game that I saw Collingwood had the better run. Other neutrals may have seen differently, but sorry I wont really compare my opinion with a Pies or Bombers fan because there is bias at play for both of them. You'll probably argue otherwise and I get that as a Pies fan.

What did other neutrals think?
The better team won. Pies got the 50:50 calls going their way but next week they may not.

You even say yourself he ‘attempted’ to get the ball on the boot...the rule says that is all he had to do.

And also Keep reading

15.2.4 Application – Specific Instances where Play shall Continue

For the avoidance of doubt, the field Umpire shall allow play to continue when:
(a) a Player is bumped and the football falls from the Player’s hands;
(b) a Player’s arm is knocked which causes the Player to lose
possession of the football;
(c) a Player’s arms are pinned to their side by an opponent which causes the Player to drop the football, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply;
(d) a Player, whilst in the act of Correctly Disposing of the football, is swung off-balance and does not make contact with the football by either foot or hand, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply; or
(e) a Player is pulled or swung by one arm which causes the football to fall from the Player’s hands, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply.

Stephenson was swung by one arm, and he had no prior opportunity, the ball spilled free....it is play on.

BT screaming incorrect disposal just highlights how he doesn’t actually know the rules, and it seems the majority of punters don’t either.

More people should do a level one umpire course and umpire kids footy, you then actually learn the rules as they are written.

For mine throwing the ball in the general direction of your foot while laying on the ground isn't a genuine attempt.
Also as per your last point that does not apply since the swing didn't cause the ball to come loose, he was on the ground and tossed it away.

This though highlights the problem exactly if we can read the rules hours later and both come up with a different interpretation then what hope do umpires doing the job part time on weekends have umpiring in real time.

he had one hand free so he can get ball to boot, thats prior
LOL

The hint is in the name ‘Prior’ is before being tackled.

Stephenson was almost being held before he took possession of the ball, he had no prior opportunity at all to dispose of the ball before being tackled.

Thus all he has to do is attempt to dispose of it...he did try to get it on his boot when lying on the ground.

And as per 15.2.4(e) if pulled down by one arm without prior opportunity and the ball spills free it is play on

So if the umpire thought he tried to get ball to boot = play on

If umpire thought the tackle itself knocked the ball free = play on

The only way that could be adjudged ‘holding the ball’ is if he didn’t think Stephenson even attempted to correctly dispose of the ball.

Play on 9 times out of 10

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2019 Round 6: Essendon v Collingwood, 3:20pm AEST MCG

Back